Advertisements

Fix Moisture Detected Error on Samsung Devices

If you ever owned or use a Samsung smartphone, you may have come across a “moisture detected error”. Most high-end smartphones in the various lineups including A-series, M-series, S-series, and so on, are fitted with IP ratings. However, there’s a possibility that you would still get a notification that moisture has been detected on the USB port which discourages charging to prevent potential short-circuits.

Assuming that you are looking for a fix, here’s what moisture detected error on Samsung devices means as well as how to fix it using various troubleshooting methods listed below so read along.

What is a Moisture Detected Error on Samsung Devices?

Before you can find a way to fix an issue, you must know what it is. To get things straight, a hoard of Samsung Galaxy devices have an official IP rating which means they are protected against water and dust to a certain degree. This also means the OEM has protected crucial entry points such as speakers, mic, USB port, and others with seals and gaskets to prevent water from seeping in but in a favorable condition. An IP*8 ratings gives your phone protection against water for 30 minutes at a 1.5m depth. Depending upon the IP certification, your phone will have a certain degree of protection against water as well.

Samsung smartphones have a moisture detection sensor in the charging port which alerts users if there’s any moisture detected in it. Since a charging port is where you connect your charger cable to juice up the battery, it becomes a point where water can cause short circuits. Samsung devices send out alerts when moisture is detected and stops the device from charging. It is up to the user to fix it up or else he/she will see the moisture notification on the notification panel as well as a ‘drop’ shaped symbol on the status bar.

Even if it isn’t moisture to be precise, accumulation of dirt and dust can prevent the device from charging. It is also possible that a hot and humid climate caused the moisture to build up or it could be sweat. Damaged charging port due to careless usage, corrosion when in contact with moisture or water, damage due to any other reason or dust. Here’s how you can fix the Moisture Detected Error on Samsung Devices.

How to Fix Moisture Detected Error on Samsung Devices?

Here are some of the troubleshooting methods that you will find handy. Some of them are even recommended by Samsung itself, so do ‘em all.

Use a soft and dry cloth

Since you are getting moisture detected error on Samsung devices, you should wipe off any water or moisture. I’ll prefer cotton or a microfiber cloth to wipe off the device as well as ports although don’t push it too much as you could damage the charging port or so. Keep the phone under the ceiling fan. That should help the moisture evaporate sometimes.

Use a toothpick

Water or traces of it stuck in the charging port can throw a moisture-detected error on your phone. It is unlikely that you’ll use a dry cloth to dig deeper in the port to clean off excess moisture inside it. Using a rubber or plastic toothpick with a tiny piece of cloth or tissue paper will assist you to suck the moisture out as you can reach deeper into the ports. Again, make sure you have a check on the port first, examine where the moisture is, and gently put the toothpick with a tissue wrapped on it to wipe it off. Be gentle as any damage to any of the pins in the charging port will damage it and you would need a permanent replacement to fix it.

Blow compressed air

This is a safe method as you are pricking inside the port although make sure the air you blow is dry as even traces of liquid in the air will escalate the situation.

A hairdryer works

Usually, a hairdryer blows out hot air to dry the water off your hair. Since you are battling water and moisture with your phone, why not deploy using a hairdryer. Make sure that the air blown by the dryer is slightly hot but not extremely hot as it will damage the components inside the port. Adjust the speed to slow and blow the air inside the charging port at different angles to try and dry up moisture. If only the moisture was forcing the ‘moisture detected error’ to go off, this method should fix it up.

Advertisements

Rinse it

It seems counterintuitive that I mentioned rinsing can help fix the problem but I am not talking about using water to rinse the port. Isopropyl alcohol, petrol, or distilled water can help you rinse the port removing moisture if any. Use a very small amount of the aforementioned substances on a paper towel and insert it in the port to clean it up. Once you feel that it is enough, keep the phone under a fan and check back in a few minutes.

Keep it under sunlight

Another point that seems counterintuitive is keeping the phone under sunlight. I am not talking about keeping the phone under direct sunlight as it will cause more damage than good. Instead, find a place where there’s enough sunlight that the moisture could evaporate over a few minutes/hours but not much to raise the temperature beyond what it can handle. This should take some time. Plugin the charger and turn on the power to check if the battery is charging or not.

Use tweezers

This method can be useful if dirt/dust or corrosion due to moisture is preventing the phone from charging the battery. Use the tweezer to rub and try to remove the dirt and corrosion build-up in the port. I have mentioned it several times but you need to make sure you aren’t causing more damage than good.

Advertisements

Use the rice grain method

This is a traditional method that tech experts usually recommend, however, this is a time-consuming process. It takes approx 48 hours for uncooked rice to soak any traces of water in a water-damaged phone. Since we are talking about a potentially water-damaged or moisture-affected charging port, you will need at least a few hours. For that, take some uncooked rice in a ziplock bag or pour it in a container and keep the bottom half of the phone stuck in the rice. This should assist the rice to do its magic.

You can use silica gel to do the same although not in a large quantity but a few packs of silica gel will be enough. Once you remove the phone from the container or bag, use a clean and dry cloth to wipe it and check if the problem is sorted or not.

How to verify if the charging port is damaged or not?

Assuming that the charging port has some moisture which is something that would trigger moisture detected error and cause the charging to stop, you will need to verify if the port is damaged or not. This is something you should do before proceeding to the last method listed below.

Assuming that your phone is not charging, you should verify if the charging port is damaged or not. For this, you will need another phone, take your charger, and plug it to charge. If the charging doesn’t start, either the cable or the charging brick is to be blamed. If that another phone starts charging, then the charging port has been damaged due to water. Take a different cable, try charging the phone using the new cable and check if the phone charges or not.

In such cases or otherwise, you will have to report the issue to a service center and start charging the phone.

Perform a restore factory

This is the last resort to try and fix the “moisture detected error” on Samsung Galaxy devices before you can walk-into a service center near you. This is a potential solution to every glitch or bug where the software is at fault. Here’s how you can do it on your phone.

  • Firstly, go to Settings >> Backup and reset.
  • Next up, tap on Factory data reset.
  • Proceed by tapping on the Reset device.
  • Enter the credentials when prompted and hit Continue.
  • Tap on “Erase Everything” and this should delete everything you have on your device for good.

Report the issue

At the end, you won’t be able to charge the battery with a moisture-detected error on the screen. Assuming that you are still searching for a method to fix it up and nothing mentioned above works in your favor, the final resort is to report the issue to a technician. Since almost all the phones arrive with non-removable batteries, you can’t charge the battery alone and you will need a charging port on your phone to charge it. Turns out you cannot use it either and that just sets off a clock before your phone’s battery dies out.

Reporting the issue to a technician can help repair or permanently change the charging port is damaged beyond repair. If your phone is in warranty and you want to keep it intact, you can walk into an authorized service center, or else, a local service center will be a cheaper alternative.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.