The Google Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro are Google’s latest devices, bringing many improvements over their predecessors. These devices are truly one of the best on the market. Users love the Pixel experience and can’t get enough features and customization options.
However, some users might want to try something different. If you want to flash the firmware on your Pixel 8 or Pixel 8 Pro via ADB sideload, you are in the right place. Here, we will take you through a step-by-step guide on how to do this so you can install the firmware you desire on your Pixel 8 or 8 Pro. So, without any further ado, let’s jump into it.
- How to Flash Firmware on Pixel 8 and 8 Pro via ADB Sideload
How to Flash Firmware on Pixel 8 and 8 Pro via ADB Sideload
Below, we have listed the steps that you can perform to flash the firmware on your Google Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro via the ADB Sideload method. Make sure to follow every solution in the same order. Following the steps carefully, you can easily flash firmware on your Pixel 8 and 8 Pro via ADB Sideload.
The steps mentioned in this article should be performed carefully. We at Getdroidtips won’t be responsible for any damage/error to your handset. Please take a complete backup of your phone data to avoid unforeseen situations.
Step 1: Take a Complete Backup
Before following the below methods, take a complete backup of all the important data on your Google Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro. You can save the backup data to your PC or cloud storage. However, if you don’t know what to back up or how to back up your Android phone? Please read our detailed guide on how to back up your data on an Android device.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging on Your Phone
The next thing you have to do is enable USB Debugging on your Pixel 8 or Pixel 8 Pro so that it can be easily recognized by the computer or PC in the ADB mode. This option is usually found under the Developer options menu, which is hidden by default.
You must enable USB Debugging to flash the firmware on the Pixel 8 device via ADB Sideload. Here’s how to enable Developer options and USB Debugging:
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Scroll down and tap About phone.
- Then, scroll down again and tap on Build number 7 times. (You’ll see a “You are now a developer” message on the screen).
- Go back to the Settings page.
- Here, tap on System and select Developer options.
- Please tap on the toggle next to USB debugging to enable it.
Step 3: Install Android SDK on Your Computer
After enabling the USB debugging on your Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro, next you’ll need to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your computer to make an ADB connection between your pixel device and computer. However, the Android SDK tool is essential to run ADB and Fastboot commands. So, download the Android SDK Platforms Tool on your computer.
Once you have downloaded the file, extract it to a safe location on your computer. As a result, you’ll have the platform-tools folder on your computer, ensure to remember the location and then move to the next step.
Step 4: Download Pixel 8/8 Pro OTA Image
After extracting the Android SDK file on your computer, you will have to download the OTA image for your Google Pixel and then move it to the platform tools folder.
- Download the OTA image for your Google Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro. [Note: Do not download the factory image.]
- Rename the file to package. The file name should become package.zip. Although, remaining the file isn’t necessary, we are remaining this to easily run ADB commands on the command prompt.
- After downloading the OTA Image, move the package.zip file to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
Step 5: Boot Your Google Pixel to Stock Recovery
- Connect your Pixel phone to the computer via a USB cable. If a dialog box opens on your phone to verify the ADB connection, verify it.
- Head over to the platform-tools folder on your computer, type CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter button to launch the Command Prompt.
- Run the following commands to boot your Pixel phone to the stock recovery.
adb reboot recovery
- Now your Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro boot to the No Command screen.
- Next, press and hold the Power button, while holding the power button, press and release the Volume Up key and then release the power key.
- Now your phone should boot to the stock recovery.
Step 6: Install the Firmware on Your Phone via ADB Sideload
- Use the Volume button to navigate to the Apply Update from ADB option and then press the Power button to select it.
- Now, your Pixel phone is ready for the ADB Sideload connection.
- Head over to the platform-tools folder on your computer, type CMD in the address bar and hit Enter to launch the Command window.
- Once the Command window appears, run the following command to confirm the ADB connection:
- The ADB connection is successful if you get the sideload keyboard in the Command Prompt.
- Next, run the following command to install the firmware file:
adb sideload update .zip
- The installation process will now begin. This process may take a few minutes to complete.
- Once completed, use the Volume key to navigate to the Reboot System Now option and then press the Power button to select it.
Now your Google Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro are running the installed firmware. That’s how you can flash the firmware on Pixel 8 and 8 Pro via ADB sideload. We hope this guide was helpful to you. If you face any issues or errors while following the steps, then let us know in the comments section. We will try to respond to you as soon as possible.