Newly launched Honkai: Star Rail is a free-to-play 3D role-playing video game based on space fantasy gameplay full of adventure & thrills. The game has been developed and published by HoYoverse, the fourth installment in the Honkai family that uses all new characters, weapons, a better story mode, and more. However, this new title has plenty of bugs or issues that we can’t deny. Meanwhile, it seems that Honkai Star Rail failed to check for updates for some players.
Well, this specific error ‘Failed to check for updates’ becomes quite consistent and affected Honkai: Star Rail players cannot access the game. So, if you also encounter the same error, you should check this troubleshooting guide completely to resolve it. As an avid gamer, nothing is more frustrating than getting the update error because not only you’ll get stuck in it, but also go through a lot of problems with the game launching or gameplay sessions.
Fix: Honkai Star Rail Failed to Check for Updates
This specific error prevents players from accessing the game and continuing their in-game progress whenever the Honkai Star Rail game fails to connect to the servers to check for available updates. Server-related issues can be a common thing for most gamers, and thus some of the possible workarounds mentioned below should come in handy to you. Talking about the possible reasons, game server outages or issues with the internet connection can be a major reason.
Whereas sometimes antivirus or firewall blocking issues, conflict with the game cache data, etc, can be another possible reason. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Check the Internet Connection
You should also check the internet connection at your end to ensure there is no issue with the poor or unstable network. If, in case, your internet connection isn’t running well, try using another network or switching the Wi-Fi network to a wired (ethernet) connection or vice versa. Alternatively, you can use the mobile data connection as a hotspot to check for the issue. Otherwise, you should contact your service provider to get technical assistance.
2. Check the Server Status
You should also manually check out the Honkai Star Rail game’s server status from the official @honkaistarrail Twitter handle. If, in case, there is an issue with the game server, then make sure to wait for a couple of hours and try running the game again. Sometimes issues with the game server might trouble you in game launching or connecting to the servers or even checking for updates.
3. Whitelist the Game to Firewall
You can try whitelisting the Honkai Star Rail program in the Windows Firewall protection by following the steps below to avoid game-launching issues in most scenarios.
- Open the Start menu > Search for Control Panel and open it.
- Go to Systems and Security > Open Windows Firewall.
- Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Now, click on Change settings > Select Allow another app.
- Select Browse > Click to select Honkai Star Rail.
- Click on Add and make sure to save changes.
4. Disable the Antivirus Protection
You can also try disabling the antivirus protection software manually by following the steps below to ensure there is no issue with the game application running on the PC. In most cases, the Windows Defender antivirus software might trouble you a lot due to blocking the game files in the background.
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Now, click on Update & Security.
- Click on Windows Security from the left pane.
- Click on the Open Windows Security button.
- Go to Virus & threat protection > Click on Manage Settings.
- Just Turn Off the Real-time protection option.
- If prompted, click on Yes to proceed further.
- You can also disable the Cloud-delivered protection, Automatic sample submission, Tamper protection, etc options.
5. Verify and Repair Game Files
Another thing you should also try is verifying and repairing the installed game files on the respective gaming device to ensure there is no issue with the missing or corrupted game files. Just follow the steps below to perform the task.
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Honkai Star Rail in the library.
- Click on the three dots next to the game.
- Select the Manage option.
- Now, click on the Verify option.
- Confirm the task and wait for it to complete.
- Once done, reboot the PC to apply changes.
6. Clear the Game Cache Data
If in case, you’re trying to play Honkai Star Rail on your Android or iOS or PlayStation or Windows device, try clearing the app cache data and the storage data from the settings menu of the game application to refresh glitches. Sometimes outdated or corrupted app cache data can also cause several issues whatsoever.
- Go to the device Settings menu > Head over to Apps & Notifications.
- Now, tap on See All Apps > Head to Honkai Star Rail under the App info section.
- Tap on Honkai Star Rail to open the app info page.
- Then tap on Storage & Cache > Next, tap on Clear Cache.
- Once done, tap on Storage & Cache.
- Next, tap on Clear Storage > Launch the game to check for the issue.
There is no option to do this on iPhone. Only a force restart will do the job. Force rebooting the iPhone will easily clear the temporary glitches or potential cache data. To do so:
- Your iPhone should be turned on, and unlock the lock screen.
- Now, quickly press the Volume Up (+) key and release, then quickly press the Volume Down (-) key and release, then quickly press & hold the Power (side key) button for a few seconds until the Apple boot logo appears on the screen.
- After the Apple logo appears, you can release the Power (side key) button.
- You’ll need to wait for your iPhone to boot to the system.
- Go to Settings > Select Application Saved Data Management.
- Choose System Storage, Online Storage, or USB Storage.
- Select Delete > Select the Honkai Star Rail game.
- Checkmark the files you want to delete or Select All.
- Finally, select Delete > Select OK to confirm the task.
- Once done, reboot your console to check for the issue.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was useful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.