Asus has recently launched its latest powerful gaming smartphone called the Asus ROG Phone 2. This is the successor model of the first-gen Asus ROG Phone. It runs on Android 9.0 Pie based on Asus ROG UI which is optimized for hardcore gaming and better RAM management. Now, if you’re using this device or planning to buy it, this guide is for you. In order to customize your ROG Phone 2 or install TWRP or Root, you have to unlock the device bootloader at first. Even if you want to install any Custom ROM, unlocking a device bootloader is a must. In this article, we will share with you the basic steps on How to Unlock Bootloader on Asus ROG Phone 2.
The handset comes with an overclocked Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ SoC along with the 120Hz screen refresh rate. Whereas, the device also offers other flagship specifications like game mode, liquid cooling, and more. Now, you can easily and officially unlock the bootloader by Asus Utility app by downloading it from the official Asus website. Though the process will void the device warranty completely if you want to customize your device, follow this guide properly.
Before doing that we will recommend you to take a complete backup as the process will delete all the device data. You can also relock the device bootloader as well anytime. Follow all the requirements and download the app from the link below.
Table of Contents
Asus ROG Phone 2 Specifications and Features
The Asus ROG Phone 2 comes with a 6.59-inches Full-HD+ AMOLED display with 1080×2340 pixels resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, and 10-bit HDR support. It’s powered by the octa-core 2.9GHz Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC, pairs up to 12GB of LPDDR4X RAM. While the internal storage is available in 128GB/512GB UFS 3.0 options. It features the dual front-facing stereo speakers with DTS: X Ultra support.
The ROG Phone 2 features a 48MP primary camera with a 13MP wide-angle secondary camera offers a 125-degrees field of view along with an LED flash. While the front features a 24MP selfie shooter. It runs on ROG UI based on Android 9.0 Pie out-of-the-box. Though the company has mentioned that the users can switch to Stock Android UI in the future.
In terms of the connectivity options, it includes Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, WiFi-Direct, NFC, a 3.5mm audio jack, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, USB Type-C port, etc. It has a side-mounted connector as well for gaming accessories. You can easily mount a gaming emulator for better gameplay. The phone includes accelerometer, compass, proximity, hall sensor, ambient light sensor, in-display fingerprint sensor, gyroscope, and an ultrasonic sensor.
Unlock Bootloader on Asus ROG Phone 2
You just need to follow the simple steps given below. Check out the pre-requirements, download the app and your device will be unlocked in a few steps.
- This guide is for Asus ROG Phone 2 model only. Don’t try it on other devices.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root.
- Charge the device up to 50% at least to reduce the occasional shutdown.
- Download and install the Utility app from the link given above.
Unlocking Steps: (Official Unlock App)
After completing the steps to unlock the device bootloader, you will be ready to install any Custom ROM or Recovery file on your Asus ROG Phone II easily.
- First, head over to the device Settings menu > Developer options > enable OEM Unlock (if available). [Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number for 7 times to enable Developer options]
- Go to the official Asus ROG Phone II support page to download the bootloader unlock app from the link given above.
- Go to the ‘Drivers and utilities’ section.
- Then select the operating system to Android.
- You will see the Utility section.
- Here you will find Unlock Device App for Unlocking the bootloader.
- Download the latest 22.214.171.124 version or higher Unlock Device App. [ZS660KL_SIGNED_UnlockTool_126.96.36.199]
- Now, install the app on your ROG Phone 2.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the app in order to proceed with the steps.
- The process may take a couple of minutes as well. Have some patience.
- You’re done. Now, you’ve successfully unlocked the device bootloader properly.
Hope this guide will be helpful to you. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.