Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is an action role-playing video game developed by TaleWorlds Entertainment that’s a prequel to Mount & Blade: Warband with strategy elements. Bannerlord gameplay includes building up soldier personnel for war and victory on a campaign map. It also supports multiplayer mode with better graphics and other features. The game has been released in March 2020 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows platforms. However, plenty of players are reporting about Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord Lag Shuttering, Crashing on Launch or FPS drop issue.
Now, if you’re also one of them who is experiencing the game crashes or lags or frame drops, or any gameplay-related issues, then this troubleshooting guide is only for you. Here we’ve provided most of the possible workarounds that can be helpful to you in order to fix the issue. Though some of the players have already tried by rebooting or redownloading the game, it didn’t come in handy. However, we will recommend you to check for the Windows and graphics drivers update at first.
Now, before heading over to the troubleshooting steps below, make sure to check the system requirements for the game as well. It’s also worth mentioning that Mount & Blade has recently released a new patch update e.1.0.1 that brings tons of bug fixes. So, update your game to its latest version and then check whether the issue is fixed or not. If not solved, you can check out the system requirements below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Does Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord Keep Crashing?
- 2 Minimum System Requirements:
- 3 Recommended System Requirements:
- 4 Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord: Fix Lag Shuttering, Crashing on Launch or FPS drop issue
- 4.1 1. Update Graphics Drivers
- 4.2 2. Disable Steam Overlay
- 4.3 3. Adjust Discord Settings
- 4.4 4. Adjust Nvidia Control Panel Settings
- 4.5 5. Adjust AMD Control Panel Settings
- 4.6 6. Repair Game from Steam Client
- 4.7 7. Verify Game Files on Steam (Steam User Only)
- 4.8 8. Uninstall Windows 10 Updates (Unstable/Buggy Versions)
- 4.9 9. Clean Temporary Files
- 4.10 10. Use CPU and GPU Clock Speed at Default Settings
- 4.11 11. Install the latest Microsoft Visual C++
- 4.12 12. Update Windows Version
- 4.13 13. Add a Firewall Exception
- 4.14 14. Lower Graphics Level
- 4.15 15. Fix Game Won’t Close
- 4.16 16. Adjust Frame Rate Level
- 4.17 17. Fix Sound Issues
- 4.18 18. Fix Random Crashing
- 4.19 19. Stuck At Loading Screen
- 4.20 20. Fix Key Binding Issues
Why Does Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord Keep Crashing?
There can be possible reasons behind Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord that keeps crashing on your Windows 10 PC. Let’s take a look.
- Your PC configuration isn’t compatible with the game’s system requirements.
- Some of the game files are either missing or corrupted.
- Your PC is running on an outdated Windows OS or graphics driver.
- An outdated DirectX version.
- The game or the client version isn’t updated.
- Any of the overlay apps are running in the background.
- Windows Firewall or Antivirus program is blocking the game.
Minimum System Requirements:
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 7 (64-bit only)
- Processor: Intel Core i3-8100 / AMD Ryzen 3 1200
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB / AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
- Storage: 60 GB available space
- Additional Notes: Integrated GPUs require additional 2GB of system RAM. These estimates may change during final release.
Recommended System Requirements:
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10 (64-bit only)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB / AMD Radeon RX 580
- Storage: 60 GB available space
- Additional Notes: These estimates may change during final release.
Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord: Fix Lag Shuttering, Crashing on Launch or FPS drop issue
Now, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into the steps below. Keep in mind that both the Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers are well optimized for the Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord game. So, if in case, you haven’t updated your graphics driver yet, do this first.
1. Update Graphics Drivers
If you’re using the Nvidia graphics card then update the GeForce Experience app on your PC from the Nvidia official site here.
But if you’re using the AMD graphics card on your system, then update the latest AMD Drivers from here.
2. Disable Steam Overlay
- Open Steam on your Windows.
- Head over to the Settings > Click on the In-Game option.
- Click on the checkbox to disable “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game“.
- Once the checkbox mark is removed, click on OK.
3. Adjust Discord Settings
- Launch Discord > Click on User Settings.
- Select Voice & Video from the left sidebar.
- Scroll down a bit and click on the Advanced.
- Next, disable OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco System, Inc.
- Then disable Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority.
- Click on Overlay.
- Disable in-game overlay.
- Next, click on Appearance.
- Scroll down to the bottom Advanced.
- Disable Hardware Acceleration.
- Once done, restart the Discord or restart the system.
4. Adjust Nvidia Control Panel Settings
- Click on Adjust image settings with preview under 3D settings.
- Select Use the advanced 3D image settings.
- Next, open the Nvidia Control Panel.
- Click on Manage 3D settings.
- Then select Global Settings.
- Now, adjust some of the additional settings:
- Turn off Image Sharpening
- Turn on Threaded Optimization
- Power Management: Prefer Maximum Performance
- Low Latency Mode: Off
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
5. Adjust AMD Control Panel Settings
- Click on Global Graphics.
- Disable Radeon Anti-Lag
- Disable Radeon Boost
- Image Sharpening: Off
- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use Application settings
- Set Anti-aliasing Method to Multi-sampling
- Morphological Filtering: Off
- Anisotropic Filtering: Disabled
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
- Surface Format Optimization: Enabled
- Tesselation Mode: AMD Optimized
- Turn off Wait for V-sync
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off
- Shader Cache: AMD optimized
- Turn off Maximum Tesselation Level
- GPU Workload: Graphics
- Radeon Chill: Off
- Frame Rate Target Control: Disabled
6. Repair Game from Steam Client
Make sure that this process will take some time. So, have some patience.
- Launch Steam Client
- Click on Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord from the left sidebar
- Now, click on Game Options
- Choose Scan and Repair
7. Verify Game Files on Steam (Steam User Only)
The Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord gamers on Steam can follow the below steps:
- Open the Steam Library by logging into the account.
- Right-click on Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord
- Click on Properties
- Select the Local Files tab
- Then click on Verify Integrity of Game Files
- Wait for the process and then restart the game to check whether the issue has been fixed or not.
8. Uninstall Windows 10 Updates (Unstable/Buggy Versions)
A couple of days ago, Microsoft has released a new update for Windows 10 with KB4535996. The KB4535996 cumulative update for Windows 10 is quite buggy and causing so many errors or problems.
- Go to Start menu > Click on Settings
- Next, click on Update and Security
- Click on View update history
- Now, if you can see that there is an update having KB4535996 has been already installed. Make sure to uninstall it.
- Here you will see Uninstall updates option on the top of the page.
- Click on it and select that particular update version.
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- It may take some time to delete that update and your system may restart automatically.
- Have some patience and you can also manually reboot your Windows PC (if required).
9. Clean Temporary Files
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the RUN program.
- Now, type %temp% and press enter
- You will get a bunch of temporary files on a page.
- Select all files by pressing Ctrl + A on the keyboard.
Next, press Shift + Delete on the keyboard to remove all the files.
- Some times some of the temporary files can’t be deleted. So, leave them as it is and close it.
10. Use CPU and GPU Clock Speed at Default Settings
If you’ve overclocked your GPU speed and experiencing the crashing or stuttering issue on the Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord gameplay or at the launching, make sure to use the MSI Afterburner tool or Zotac firestorm to underclock or set default clock speed. Now, you can try again to run the game whether the Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord Lag is appearing or not.
11. Install the latest Microsoft Visual C++
If your game literally crashes on start even after opening the .exe file multiple times or don’t want to open at all, then you should check the latest version of the Microsoft Visual C++ on your computer. If there is a new version available, simply download and install it without any second thought. However, sometimes the game system itself shows you an error notice or crash popup that the Microsoft Visual C++ latest version is missing. You can do it directly from the official Microsoft website.
12. Update Windows Version
An outdated OS version can always cause unexpected crashes or errors in the game or any other application due to some stability issues or compatibility issues. So, it’s better to check for any pending Windows OS version update directly from your PC.
- Head over to the Start menu > Click on Settings (cog icon) > Update & Security > Under the Windows Update section, you can see Updates available notice and a Download button (if any). Just hit on the download and it will install the update in the background. Once done, it will ask you to restart your PC to apply the changes.
13. Add a Firewall Exception
Sometimes, the inbuilt Windows Firewall protection is enabled by default that protects your system like a security application. It basically filters the network data transmissions that use your Windows system and tries to block any spam/harmful communications or programs that can cause issues with your PC. So, open the Firewall Settings on your system and ‘Add an exception’ for the Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord game. It will surely help your game to run smoothly if the Firewall was blocking it previously.
14. Lower Graphics Level
If your system configuration is not so updated or powerful enough to run the game at a very high graphics level, then it may not launch or crash on start. So, you can turn off some of the extra graphics settings or turn it low like shadows, texture, grass-root detailing, etc. So, both the game can run easily and you can also play it.
15. Fix Game Won’t Close
It’s considered to be another typical error or issue with your system that sometimes the game won’t close at all. Mostly the game window stuck or becomes unresponsive even after hitting the close/exit button. Whereas some times it visually seems to be closed but runs in the background which can increase the CPU/GPU and RAM consumption unnecessarily.
This particular issue may occur due to the game launcher and you can fix this issue by heading over to the File Explorer and launch the game directly from the installed directory that is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client.
16. Adjust Frame Rate Level
It’s one of the most common and controversial reasons for your graphics-intensive gameplay issues or errors. Although your system components can deliver damn high frame rate performance during gameplay, we will always recommend users to set or adjust the frame rate level at a respectable position. Now, you may see the frame rate delivery in your gameplay that in some normal or story mode it gives you a high frame rate and suddenly it slows way down to 30 or less FPS.
This is only because you haven’t set a frame rate cap which will always try to maintain that particular FPS in the whole gameplay. That means a steady frame rate level will give you a steady FPS count and you will also feel that the Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord Lag becomes quite less than earlier.
17. Fix Sound Issues
Plenty of Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord PC players have reported that the game has some audio issues since launch. It may happen due to the incompatibility issues with your system configuration or audio drivers. However, you can try a couple of possible tricks to fix sound issues in your game.
- Launch the game and go to the Audio settings.
- Try to lower the game sound and check whether the issue is fixed or not.
- If not, then you can close the game and head over to the Control Panel on your Windows Settings.
- Go to Hardware and Sound > Sound > Select your connected default device.
- Go to Properties > Turn off Audio enhancements and other sound effects.
- Restart your computer and launch the game and check for the audio issue.
18. Fix Random Crashing
If in case, your Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord game is crashing randomly at any time and you can’t either understand what to do or your unsaved game progress gets lost, then there is a workaround for it. As of now, there is no permanent fix available yet and it may take some time. So, without missing your unsaved game progress, we will recommend you to save your gameplay on a frequent basis.
It will save your game progress and you won’t lose any huge progress even after crashing. That we can suggest for now.
19. Stuck At Loading Screen
In some of the gameplay areas, the game can be stuck at the loading screen which not only irritates a lot but also causes force closes and you may lose your game progress. So, we will recommend you to update your game at first if any latest patch is available for a long time and you haven’t noticed yet.
20. Fix Key Binding Issues
If you’ve recently modified or changed the control or action key combinations for your ease but after using it for some time, you want to revert the key binding to its default position, then there is a workaround available. As you can’t directly find out any ‘Reset to Default’ option in the game settings, you will have to delete the BannerlordGameKeys.xml file from the below location on your PC.
Head over to the C:\Users\YOURPCNAME\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs location and delete the mentioned XML file. Once done, reboot your computer and launch the Steam client at first. Here you have to verify your game files and then you can launch the game and it will fix the key binding issues. Though it doesn’t sound great, we don’t have any other option as well right now.
That’s it. We hope this guide was useful to you and you’ve fixed the Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord Lag or frame drop or any other performance issues quite nicely. You can comment below for any queries.