In this tutorial, we will show you the steps to unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 10 Pro and relock it later on. OnePlus finally launched their new flagship device called OnePlus 10 Pro with Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC equipped with a 120Hz AMOLED display. The device comes with triple rear cameras that house a 48 MP Sony IMX789 primary sensor with an f/1.8 lens OIS and a hole-punch display design.
There’s a plethora of tweaks, modifications, and custom binaries available for various OnePlus devices, and the OnePlus 10 Pro is no different either. Although it has only been only a couple of months since its launch, we are already seeing impressive support for this device. But to carry out these tweaks, there is just one requirement that needs to be met- your OnePlus 10 Pro should have an unlocked bootloader. In this guide, we will help you with just that. Likewise, we will also show you how to relock the device’s bootloader, if you wish to do so at a later stage.
OnePlus 10 Pro Device Overview:
The OnePlus 10 Pro features a 6.7-inch QHD+ LTPO(2nd generation) display with a resolution of 1440 x 3216 pixels and an aspect ratio of 20:9. It is a 120 Hz refresh rate panel. It has a peak brightness of 1300 nits along with support for HDR 10+ content. Under the hood, we have the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen1 built on a 4nm manufacturing process. It is an octa-core processor with one Cortex-X2 core clocked at 3.00 GHz, three Cortex-A710 cores clocked at 2.5 GHz and four Cortex-A510 cores clocked at 1.8 GHz. For handling the graphics-intensive tasks, we have the Adreno 730.
Coming to the optics, we get a 48MP primary sensor paired with an f/1.8 lens, an 8MP telephoto sensor paired with an f/2.4 lens, and a 50MP ultrawide sensor paired with an f/2.2 lens. The ultrawide lens has an impressive field of view of 150 degrees. At the front, we get a 32MP sensor paired with an f/2.2 lens. The rear camera setup is capable of recording 8K videos at 30fps, while the front camera is limited to 1080p video recording.
There are three storage options of this smartphone: 128GB internal storage + 8GB RAM, 256GB internal storage + 8GB RAM, and 256GB internal storage + 12GB RAM. In terms of communications, we get Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS, NFC, and USB Type-C 3.1. And in terms of sensors, we get an under-display fingerprint sensor, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, and color spectrum. There is a 5,000 battery powering this smartphone that supports 80W wired charging and 50W wireless charging. The smartphone is available in two color options: Black and Green.
Advantages/Risks with an Unlocked Bootloader
There is a plentitude of perks associated with an unlocked bootloader. To begin with, you could flash custom ROMs like LineageOS, Pixel Experience, etc. Along the same lines, installing a custom recovery like TWRP is also a possibility. This will allow you to flash ZIP and IMG files, wipe various partitions, create and restore Nandroid backup, etc. Likewise, you could also root your device via Magisk and access administrative rights.
However, these modifications come with a few risks as well. For example, it will wipe off all the data from your device and might make the warranty null and void. Furthermore, apps like Google Pay, Netflix, and Pokemon Go might not function properly. The entire process is risky and might cause a few issues if not performed correctly. With that said, if you are ready to proceed ahead, then here are the steps to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus 10 Pro.
Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 10 Pro
Before we list out the instructions, there are a few necessities that you need to go through. Make sure you checkmark all these requirements.
- First and foremost, create a complete device backup. This is because the unlocking process will wipe off all the data from your device.
- Next up, enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by your PC in ADB mode. The latter will allow you to carry out the unlocking procedure. So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
- Also, install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This will provide you with the necessary ADB and Fastboot binaries.
That’s it. You may now proceed with the steps to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus 10 Pro.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB Cable. Make sure Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Now type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your OnePlus device to Fastboot Mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Execute the below command and if you get a unique string of alphanumeric characters, then it signifies that the device has successfully booted to Fastboot.
- Finally, type in the below command to start the unlocking process
fastboot oem unlock
- As soon as you do so, you will get a confirmation message on your device. Select Unlock the Bootloader option via Volume Keys and hit the Power key to confirm your decision.
- The process will now begin and should only take a few seconds. Once that is done, your device should boot to the OS. If that doesn’t happen, then you may manually do so as well, using the below commands:
These were the steps to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus 10 Pro. Do keep in mind that the first boot will take up some time; this is completely normal. Furthermore, you will have to set up your device from scratch by logging into your Google account. That’s it. Let’s now turn our attention toward the relocking process.
Relock Bootloader on OnePlus 10 Pro
If you wish to relock the device’s bootloader and go back to stock, then the below instructions shall help you out. But before that, there are some pretty important points worth discussing. make sure that your device doesn’t have any custom binary installed. By that, we mean it shouldn’t be rooted or have TWRP installed.
Most importantly, it should be running the stock OxygenOS firmware and not any custom ROM. So if you tick mark all these requirements, then proceed with the below steps to relock the bootloader on your OnePlus 10 Pro device.
- First and foremost, create a backup of all the data stored on your device.
- Next up, enable USB Debugging on your device (Settings > About Phone > Developer Options).
- Then go to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the CMD window.
- Now type in the following command in the Command Prompt window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Finally, execute the below command to start the locking process:
fastboot oem lock
- You should now get a confirmation message on your device. Use the Volume keys to select the Lock the Bootloader option, and press the Power key to confirm it.
- Your device will now reboot to the OS, and you should be greeted with the welcome screen. If it doesn’t automatically boots up, then you may use the below fastboot command for the same.
Now just set up the device using your Google ID, and that is it. These were the steps to unlock and relock the bootloader on your OnePlus 10 Pro device. If you have any queries, do let us know in the comments section below. Rounding off, don’t forget to have a look at our iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick section as well.