In this tutorial, we will check out the ways to fix the “Windows Error 0xc00007b – The Application was Unable to Start Correctly. Click OK to close the application”. There are quite a few errors that the Windows OS users might have faced. We have already discussed ways to fix the Error Code 0xc0000142 or the error code 0x80070663. Along the same lines, Windows 10 Update Error Code 0x8007007e and 0x80073712 have also been effectively dealt with.
But as of now, quite a few users are getting bugged with the Error 0xc00007b on their Windows PC. This error usually happens due to the incompatibility between the 32-bit and 64-bit system. In other words, you could face this error when you try and launch the 32-bit application on your 64-bit system.
Well, the thing is you could easily run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit system. But if that is the case, then why users are facing this issue? There are quite a few reasons for the same. Let’s check them out. Furthermore, we will also list out the potential fixes for the said error. So without further ado, let’s begin with the tutorial.
Table of Contents
- 1 Fix Error 0xc00007b – The Application was Unable to Start Correctly
- 1.1 Fix 1: Run in Compatibility Mode
- 1.2 Fix 2: Run as an Administrator
- 1.3 Fix 3: Reinstall the App
- 1.4 Fix 4: Make sure .NET Framework is enabled
- 1.5 Fix 5: Update DLL
- 1.6 Fix 6: Update Direct X
- 1.7 Fix 7: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- 1.8 Fix 8: Run CHKDSK Command
- 1.9 Fix 9: Update Windows
- 1.10 Fix 10: VLC Related Error
Fix Error 0xc00007b – The Application was Unable to Start Correctly
The aforementioned error could be a result of corrupt system files, administrative issues, or using an older version of the .NET framework. Similarly, an older build of the DLL file, Direct X, or the concerned app itself could spell out trouble. In rare cases, there could also be some issues with your hard disk. In this tutorial, we will address all these issues which should fix the Windows Error 0xc00007b. Follow along.
Fix 1: Run in Compatibility Mode
Before moving over to the slight technical fixes, we would suggest you start with some of the basic ones. To begin with, try running the program in a compatibility mode. Here is how it could be done:
- Right-click on the affected program’s EXE file and select Properties.
- Head over to the Compatibility section and tick mark “Run this program in Compatibility Mode for” and select any of the earlier versions of Windows.
- Click on Apply followed by OK. Now launch the affected program and see if the Windows Error 0xc00007b has been fixed or not.
Fix 2: Run as an Administrator
Some times, this issue might also stem out from the fact that the program isn’t able to get the required administrative authority. Therefore we would suggest you launch the app as an admin. Follow the below steps to do so:
- Right-click on the EXE file of the affected application.
- Select Properties followed by Compatibility.
- Now select Run this program as an Admin. Click Apply > OK.
- Launch the app and see whether the Windows Error 0xc00007b issue persists or not.
Fix 3: Reinstall the App
It could be the case that while the application was being installed, one or two important files might have been left out. Or the setup package might itself be corrupt in the first place. As a result, you are bound to face this error. To fix this, first of all, remove this installed software from your PC and then re-install it from the concerned site.
Regarding the former, you should head over to Control Panel > Add or Remove programs > Select the desired application > Uninstall and wait for the process to finish. Once that is done, reinstall it from the official source and you should have fixed the Windows Error 0xc00007b. If not, refer to the next tip shared below.
Fix 4: Make sure .NET Framework is enabled
Some users have also achieved success by enabling the .NET framework. While it is already enabled by default for most of the users, sometimes an issue or two might disable it. The best way is to check it out right away.
- For that, launch the Start menu and search for Control Panel.
- Head over to the Program and Features section and click on Turn Windows features on or off from the left menu bar.
- Make sure the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) is selected. If not do so right away and then click on OK.
- Restart the PC and see if it fixes the Windows Error 0xc00007b error or not.
Fix 5: Update DLL
An older version of xinput1_3.dll could also result in the aforementioned error. The file is situated in the C Drive and if it gets corrupt due to some other application or has been overwritten with an older version, then the error is imminent. Therefore we would recommend you to update it to the latest version using the below steps:
- Download the latest version of xinput1_3.dll. You could Google the same and could easily get the hold of it.
- Copy it and place it inside C:\ Windows \ SysWOW64. The file with the same name (albeit a different version) will already be presented there, it will ask for the replace, click on OK.
- Once that is done, restart your PC and see whether the Windows Error 0xc00007b error has been fixed or not.
Fix 6: Update Direct X
Not to mention, but an older version of Direct X could be the source of quite a lot of issues, including the one that we are focusing on in this guide. So the only way forward is to update it to the latest version. To do so, head over to the Microsoft Direct X website, download the latest build and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup. Once that is done, restart your PC and see whether the issue persists or not.
Fix 7: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
You could also try reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. Similar to the reason mentioned above, maybe the download might have been corrupted or the installation might not be successful. And if there is even a single file with a slightest of issue, the problems are incoming. So follow the below steps to reinstall the said software on your PC:
- Click on the Start menu and search for Control Panel.
- Then go to Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall a program.
- Select the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable – x86 or x64 (based on 32 or 64-bit architecture), and click on Uninstall.
- Once that is done, download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable – x86 or the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable – x64 corresponding to your CPU’s 32 or 64-bit.
- Go through the on-screen instructions and complete the installation. Then give your PC a restart and see whether the Windows Error 0xc00007b error has been fixed or not.
Fix 8: Run CHKDSK Command
The Check Disk command could prove to be useful in finding the errors and issues related to your hard drive and then fixing them. Here is how to do so:
- Launch the Command Prompt window from the Start Menu as an Administrator.
- Type in the below command and hit Enter:
chkdsk /f /r
- The next popup will ask whether you wish to reschedule the scan for the next restart. Type in Y if you wish to reply in the affirmative and hit Enter.
- Now give your PC a restart and the process shall start. It will take up some time, during which you could go through our guide to Enable Exploit Protection Feature in Windows 10.
- Anyways, once the process is completed, check whether the Windows Error 0xc00007b has been fixed or not.
Fix 9: Update Windows
If you are using an older build of Windows, it might spell out some trouble for you. Microsoft releases new updates that patch up the bugs and bring about stability. So to update your Windows PC to the latest version, follow the below steps:
- Click on the Start Menu and search for Windows Update.
- Select Check for Update from the menu.
- If there is any pending update we would advise you to download and install them right away.
- When that is done, restart your PC and see if the Windows Error 0xc00007b has been rectified or not.
Fix 10: VLC Related Error
Sometimes, this issue is faced by the users of the popular VLC Media Player. The reason is due to an old, outdated, or corrupt libvlc.dll file. So it is recommended to update that file to the latest version using the below steps:
- Download the latest version of the libvlc.dll file.
- Copy it using and head over to C:\Windows\System32.
- Paste the file in that location, if it asks to replace the existing one, reply in the affirmative.
- Once the replacement is done, restart your PC and now the error should have been fixed.
So this was all from this guide on how to fix the Windows Error 0xc00007b. We have shared around 10 different types of methods to fix the said error. Do let us know in the comments which method did the job for you. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.