Gunfire Games and Gearbox Publishing recently released Remnant 2 as a third-person shooter action role-playing video game that allows players to be survivors of humanity against new deadly creatures and god-like bosses across terrifying worlds. You can go solo or co-op with two other friends to explore and stop evil from destroying. As the game is relatively new, many players reported crashing on startup trouble after launching it on their PC.
- Why is Remnant 2 Crashing?
- Fix: Remnant 2 Keeps Crashing on the PC
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Run the game as an Administrator
- 3. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
- 4. Update Remnant 2
- 5. Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- 6. Update DirectX
- 7. Update GPU Drivers
- 8. Disable Overlay Apps
- 9. Install Pending Windows Updates
- 10. Disable Antivirus and Firewall Program
- 11. Launch the Game in Windowed Mode (Steam)
- 12. Perform a Clean Boot
- 13. Close Background Processes
- 14. Reset Remnant 2
- 15. Reinstall Remnant 2
Why is Remnant 2 Crashing?
Whereas most of the Remnant 2 PC version players encounter the game not launching or the startup crashing issue quite often. Affected players cannot understand why such an issue appears, even if the PC can run this game. It’s also worth mentioning that there may be several other possible reasons applicable to you that you should know before getting into the troubleshooting guide or any conclusion whatsoever.
The chances are also high that your Remnant 2 game may not start on the PC due to the outdated game patch version, outdated graphics drivers, outdated Windows, missing or corrupted game files, issues with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, unnecessary background running tasks, etc. Sometimes, issues with the PC compatibility, background running tasks, overlay applications, and more can trigger the startup crashing with PC games.
Fix: Remnant 2 Keeps Crashing on the PC
As you’re now aware of the possible reasons behind the crashing issue with PC games, it’s time to get into the workarounds below. Here we’ve shared some troubleshooting methods for you that should come in handy. So, make sure to follow all methods until the problem gets fixed.
1. Check System Requirements
First of all, you should check for the PC configuration to see whether it meets the system requirements of the game or not. Sometimes the compatibility issue between the PC and the video game can cause many crashes. If your PC build is low on specifications or becomes outdated, then make sure to upgrade the specific hardware/software to make it compatible. We’ve mentioned the system requirements of the game below.
- OS: Win 10
- Processor: Intel Core i5-7600 / AMD Ryzen 5 2600
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: GeForce GTX 1650 / AMD Radeon RX 590
- Storage: 80 GB available space
- OS: Win 10
- Processor: Intel i5-10600k / AMD R5 3600
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: GeForce RTX 2060 / AMD Radeon RX 5700
- Storage: 80 GB available space
2. Run the game as an Administrator
If you’re not running your video game using an administrator privilege, it may cause issues with the game launching, startup crashing, or even the game not loading. So, running the game exe file as an administrator on your Windows computer is better to check whether that fixes the problem. To do so:
- Right-click on the Remnant 2 exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
3. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
If your game files become corrupted or missing for some unexpected reasons, verifying and repairing the game files using the game launcher can help you a lot. To do this:
For Steam Client:
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Remnant 2 from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, restart your computer.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Library.
- Click on the three-dots icon next to Remnant 2.
- Click on Verify > Wait for the process to complete and restart the launcher.
- It should resolve the Remnant 2 Crashing issue on the PC.
4. Update Remnant 2
We should also recommend you manually check for the game update at your end via the respective game client to ensure no outdated game version conflicts with the game launching. An outdated game patch version can trigger several potential issues that might trigger crashes. To do this:
- Open Steam and go to Library.
- Click on Remnant 2 from the left pane.
- Steam will automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, click on Update.
- Make sure to wait for some time until the update completes.
- Once done, ensure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Head over to Library.
- Now, click on the three dots icon next to Remnant 2.
- Make sure the Auto Update option is turned on.
- It should automatically install the available update of the game.
5. Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
Updating the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables on the PC is highly recommended by following the steps below.
Note: If you’re using the EA/Origin or Epic Games Launcher, you can head to the official Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables page to download the latest version.
- Head over to the following path on your PC:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist
- You should see the following folders:
- Just make sure to run all of these executable files that are present. (If you’ve different folders, then run the vc_redist.x64.exe file in those folders)
- Finally, restart your PC to fix the issue.
6. Update DirectX
Sometimes outdated DirectX versions can also trouble you a lot with the PC games. It’s better to update the DirectX version manually to avoid crashing issues.
- Go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DirectX folder path.
- Next, run the DXSETUP.exe file to reinstall/update DirectX.
- Once done, restart your computer to apply changes.
7. Update GPU Drivers
It seems that multiple affected players have reported the outdated graphics driver. If you’re also using the outdated graphics driver for a while then make sure to check for updates by following the steps below:
- Press the Win+X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Display adapters.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that’s active.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If an update is available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes.
This method should fix the Remnant 2 crashing issue on PC. If not, you can head over to the next method.
8. Disable Overlay Apps
According to some affected players, disabling the Steam overlay and EA App overlay on the Windows computer has helped them fix the game not launching issue easily. As the in-game overlay app is always running in the background whenever you launch the game client, it’s quite possible to have issues with the processes or system resources.
For Steam Overlay:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Now, right-click on Remnant 2 > Select Properties.
- Head to the General section > Here, uncheck the Enable Steam Overlay checkbox.
- Return to Library > Re-open Squad to check for the not launching issue.
9. Install Pending Windows Updates
It may be possible that, somehow, any of the Windows bugs or system files conflict with the game to run it properly. Sometimes, an incompatibility issue can also occur when you haven’t updated the software for a while. So, install all the pending Windows updates individually and keep it to the latest OS build. To do that:
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and Install.
- Wait for some time until the update gets completed.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes immediately.
10. Disable Antivirus and Firewall Program
- Click on the Start menu > Type Control Panel and click on it.
- Now, type firewall in the search box > Click on Windows Firewall.
- From the left pane, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall for the Private, Domain, and Public Network Settings.
- Finally, reboot the PC to apply changes and try checking the issue.
Now, you’ll have to disable the anti-virus protection (Windows Defender) as well by following the steps below:
- Head over to Windows Settings > Privacy and Security.
- Now, go to Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection.
- Click on Manage settings >Then turn off the Real-time Protection option.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
If in case, you’re using any third-party antivirus program, then make sure to turn it off manually.
11. Launch the Game in Windowed Mode (Steam)
Try launching the game in Windowed display mode to check if that helps you. Sometimes a computer with an average hardware specification can cause several issues with the fullscreen display mode while running the game.
- Open the Steam client and go to the Library.
- Right-click on Remnant 2 > Select Properties.
- In the General section, click on Set Launch Options.
- Next, copy & paste the following command-line argument:
- Make sure to save changes and try rerunning the game to check if Remnant 2 is launching properly.
12. Perform a Clean Boot
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable All.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, click on the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- Under the Startup tab from the Task Manager interface, click on the tasks enabled for startup boot > Click on Disable.
- Select the high-impact startup programs and disable them one by one.
- Once all is done, restart your PC to apply changes.
- Finally, check whether the Remnant 2 crashing on the PC has been fixed or not.
13. Close Background Processes
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Select the task that you want to close.
- Once selected, click on End Task. Make sure to do the steps for each task individually.
- Once done, restart your computer to change effects immediately.
14. Reset Remnant 2
- Press the Windows (Start) + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Select Apps and Features > Click on Remnant 2 from the list of installed programs to select it.
- Now, click on Advanced options > Select Reset.
- Once done, reboot your computer and try to launch the game.
15. Reinstall Remnant 2
If none of the methods worked for you, try reinstalling the Remnant 2 game to check if that helps you fix the game not launching issue. To do so:
- Click on the Start menu and search for Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel > Click on Uninstall a Program.
- Locate and right-click on Remnant 2 > Select Uninstall.
- If prompted, click on Uninstall again to confirm.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to complete. You can follow the on-screen instructions to do so.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
- Finally, head over to the game launcher you use (Steam or Origin or Epic Games Launcher) and reinstall Remnant 2.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.