Google Chrome is a popular name in the tech world. What makes the browser more awesome is the cool collection of plugins and extensions Google Web Store has for its userbase. A lot of users download and install extensions on their browsers for various purposes. However, not every day these plugins are put to use. Also, having a number of extensions crowding in the browser address bar can be confusing.
In this guide, we have explained how the user can permanently remove Google Chrome extensions from his PC/laptop. There are various ways by which this can be accomplished. We have put up all of them here. So, depending upon the user’s convenience, he can follow any method to uninstall the extensions he has installed.
How to Remove Google Chrome Extensions Permanently
We are not saying you to remove all the extensions you have installed on your browser. You may remove the ones you do not use anymore. Do you know that if you remove extensions that you don’t use on your system can make the browser function more smoothly..?
Now, let’s take at all the methods one by one.
Remove Google Chrome Extensions Directly
- On the browser, right-click on the extension you wish to remove
- In the mini drop-down menu, click on Remove from Chrome
- In the next confirmation dialog box, click on Remove
Delete Extensions from the Extensions Repository
- Go to your browser
- Click on the 3-vertical dot button on the top right corner
- Scroll down to More Tools > Extensions
- Under Extension, you will see all the collection of extension you have installed on your browser
- Simply hover your mouse to the Remove option on the extension which you want to remove.
- Click on Remove.
Chrome Cleanup Computer
In case you are unable to manually uninstall or remove any extension, then that one may be a malware-based application. So, it won’t get removed in the regular way. So, to deal with that we will make use of Chrome’s in-built Clean up tool. Here is how to summon it.
- Open a new tab
- type chrome://settings/cleanup in the address bar
- Press Enter > Click Find on the button beside the feature Find Harmful Software
Reset Chrome on your PC
If you have any stubborn extensions leftover on the system even after a persistent trial to remove them, then resetting the browser should essentially remove all the extensions. Here is how to do it.
- Open a new tab in the browser [make sure your unfinished works have been finished]
- Type chrome://settings/reset
- Under Reset and Clean up click on Restore Settings to their Original Default
- Then you will see a confirm reset box. Click on Reset Settings
- Then you have to remove your Extensions manually which are installed on the browser.
Uninstall and Re-install Chrome
The final method to try here is to uninstall and reinstall Chrome on your PC. However, upon uninstalling all of your bookmarks, passwords, browser cache, cookies, installed extensions, plugins will be removed. You have to start once again from scratch.
- On your Windows PC, in the search box type Control Panel.
- Click on Open when the Control Panel option will show up.
- Under Programs, click on Uninstall A Program
- You will see the list of applications installed on your system
- Scroll down to Google Chrome > Right Click on it > Click Uninstall
- Agree to all the confirmations and uninstall the application.
- Once uninstallation process is complete, restart your PC.
- Now, download and install the latest version of Google Chrome
So, that’s it. These were some basic ways by which you can successfully and permanently Remove Google Chrome Extensions from your PC/laptop. We hope that this guide was useful to you.
You May Also Like,
- How to Add Chrome Extension to the Chromium Edge Browser
- How to Disable Send Link to your Devices on Chrome