In this tutorial, we will show you how to unlock the bootloader, Install TWRP and hence root your Infinix Hot 8 device. Released towards the latter half of 2019, the 6.52-inch screen has 720 x 1600 pixel resolution. The 64/4 GB variant comes with Mediatek MT6762 Helio P22 chipset out of the box. Whereas the 32/2 GB device has Mediatek MT6761 Helio A22 chipset. With Quad-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 CPU, the device comes with PowerVR GE8320 GPU.
Then there is the 13+2MP dual rear camera and a single 8MP front camera both of which manage to take decent photographs. If we talk about the sensors, it offers fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, and compass. All these specs are supported with a 5000 mAh battery. While all these features are equally impressive in its own right, yet these are the just basic functionalities that the device has to offer. You could further explore its functionality by bypassing the restriction placed by the OEM.
By default, your Infinix device has a locked bootloader. But once you are able to unlock it, then there are a ton of goodies that you could make full use of. To begin with, you could replace your stock recovery with a custom recovery like TWRP. Likewise, there is also the option to gain administrative-level privileges by rooting your device via Magisk. This in turn will open the gate to the plethora of other customization opportunities. In this regard, here are all the required instructions to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP Recovery, and then root your Infinix Hot 8 device. Follow along.
Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP Recovery and Root Infinix Hot 8
The entire guide will be divided into different sections for the ease of understanding. It is recommended to follow the steps in the exact same order as mentioned, To begin with, we will be enabling USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking. After this, we would unlock the device’s bootloader. Then we will list out the steps to flash the TWRP Recovery.
Finally, we will flash the Encryption Disabler to decrypt your device and then install Magisk to root your Root Infinix Hot 8 device. On that note, here are all the required instructions sets. But before proceeding, make sure to check out all the requirements and downloads section. Once that is done, you could then start with the steps to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP Recovery and then root your Infinix Hot 8. Let’s begin.
- Create a complete backup of your device. This is because unlocking the device’s bootloader will wipe off all the data.
- Also, download and install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC.
- Keep a memory card (recommended) or USB OTG device handy.
- Likewise, make sure to keep your device sufficiently changed, so that it doesn’t turn off mid-way during the process.
Now head over to the next section and download the required files.
A huge thanks to XDA senior member AshhRED for these files and the screenshots.
- Latest Magisk Installer ZIP: Magisk-v20.4.zip
- TWRP Recovery, modified vbmeta.img, and flashable system mounting zip: Download Files
- Orange State Disabler zip: Download File
- Forced-Encryption Disabler ZIP: Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip
Transfer the Mount-System.zip, OrangeStateDisabler.zip, Forced-EncryptionDisabler.zip, and Magisk ZIP installer file to the memory card. On the other hand, transfer the vbmeta.img and recovery_v0.3.img files to the platform-tools folder. Once that is done, proceed with the steps to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP Recovery and root Infinix Hot 8.
STEP 1: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
First and foremost, to carry out any of the aforementioned tweaks, you need an unlocked bootloader. And for that, you will have to enable the USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking options. To do so, follow the below steps:
- Head over to Settings on your Infinix device and go to System.
- Navigate to About Phone and tap on Build Number 7 times.
- Then head back to Settings > System > Advanced.
- Tap on Developer Options and finally enable both the USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking toggles.
STEP 2: Unlock Bootloader on Infinix Hot 8
- You could now proceed with the steps to unlock the bootloader. For that connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Type in the below command to make sure that the device has been successfully booted to Android Debug Bridge:
- At this point in time, you will get a USB Debugging prompt on your Infinix device. Tap on OK to authorize this connection. Furthermore, if this is your own PC, you could also choose the Always allow from this computer option.
- Now type the below command to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Finally, execute the below code to unlock the device’s bootloader:
fastboot flashing unlock
- You will get a confirmation message on your device. use the Volume keys to select the affirmative response and hit the Power key to confirm this decision.
- The process will only take a few seconds during which your device will be wiped off and the bootloader will get unlocked. Don’t reboot your device to the system as of now.
STEP 3: Flash VBMeta and TWRP Recovery
Since we will be directly flashing the TWRP Recovery to the recovery partition rather than first booting it to the boot partition, the flashing of the modified vbmeta file is a must. Only after you have flashed this file, you could be in the position to flash the TWRP Recovery. With that said, here are the required instructions for the same.
- Make sure you have transferred both the files to the platform-tools folder. Likewise, your device should also be connected to PC in the fastboot mode itself.
- Now type CMD in the address bar of the platform-tools folder and hit Enter. This will launch the CMD window.
- Execute the below code to flash the modified vbmeta file:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Now enter the following command to flash the TWRP Recovery:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_v0.3.img
- With this, you have successfully installed the TWRP Recovery on your Infinix Hot 8 device. It’s now time to manually boot your device to the said recovery. Follow the below steps for that.
STEP 4: Boot the Device to TWRP and Mount System Partition
Now that the TWRP is installed, it’s time to boot your device to it. But don’t remove your device from PC as of now. Hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together for around 15 seconds until you see the Infinix logo.
When that appears, remove both the keys and you should be booted to the TWRP Recovery. You will now have to mount the system partition and then format the data partition. Follow the below steps for that:
- On the TWRP home screen, tap on Install.
- Navigate to the Mount-System.zip file and perform a right swipe to flash it.
- Similarly, flash the orange_state_disabler_MTK_Only.zip using TWRP.
- Now, you will have to format the Data partition. For that, head over to Wipe and tap on Format Data. Type in Yes in the space provided and tap on tick mark to confirm it.
STEP 5: Root Infinix Hot 8
With the data partition wiped, there are a few files more left to be flashed before you could proceed with the rooting instructions. To begin with, you will have to reboot your device to Recovery. Your device will already be booted to TWRP, we are simply booting it again to the said recovery to refresh the recovery partition.
- So head over to Reboot and tap on Recovery.
- Once your device boots to TWRP, you will again have to mount the system partition. For that, go to Install and select the Mount-System.zip file and perform a right-swipe to flash it.
- When that is done, you could root your device by again going to Install and selecting the Magisk-v20.4.zip file. Then perform a right-swipe to flash the latest Magsik ZIP Installer file.
- Finally, you will have to install the Encryption Disabler file. To do so, head over to Install and select Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_03.04.2020.zip. Right swipe on the button present at the bottom to install the file.
- Once that is done, you may finally boot your device to the Android system. For that, head over to Reboot and select System.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP and root Infinix Hot 8. Do keep in mind that the first boot might take up some time, this is completely normal. Furthermore, since a device wipe has taken place, you might have to set it up from scratch. If you have any queries concerning the above steps, let us know in the comments. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.