The Chinese OEM Xiaomi has just released its new Mi 10 series smartphones called Xiaomi Mi 10 and Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro. Both the devices come with the latest flagship specifications and most importantly with 5G connectivity.
Now, if you also happen to own a Mi 10 Pro and are looking for ways to unlock the bootloader of the phone then, you are at the right place, as in this post, we will be guiding you on how to unlock the bootloader of Mi 10 Pro phone. If you are new to rooting, then you must understand that first, you need to unlock the bootloader of the device and then install a custom recovery like TWRP to root the device. So, that being said, let us get straight into the article itself:
- Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro Specifications
- What is Bootloader Unlock?
- Why do we need to unlock the bootloader?
- Disadvantages of bootloader unlock
- Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Mi 10 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro Specifications
The device packs a 6.67-inches Super AMOLED display with 1080×2340 pixels resolution. The display also features DCI-P3 color gamut, HDR10+, 90Hz refresh rate, 180Hz touch-sensing, 500 nits brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, etc. It runs on Android 10 on the top of MIUI 11 out-of-the-box. It’s powered by Snapdragon 865 SoC, coupled with Adreno 650 GPU, 8GB/12GB RAM, 256GB/512GB of internal storage option.
The device packs a quad rear camera setup of 108MP (wide, f/1.7) + an 8MP (telephoto, f/2.0) + 12MP (portrait, f/2.0) + 20MP (ultrawide, f/2.2) lens with PDAF, Laser AF, OIS, 10x hybrid optical zoom, dual Pixel PDAF, 2x optical zoom, triple-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, Panorama mode, etc. While the device sports a 20MP (wide, f/2.0) selfie camera with HDR support.
It has a 4,500mAh battery with 50W fast charging support. It also supports 30W fast wireless charging and 10W power bank or the reverse wireless charging. The handset includes dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS, dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NFC, IR Blaster, USB Type-C port, OTG, etc. It also features an optical in-display fingerprint scanner, an ambient light, an accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity, compass sensor.
What is Bootloader Unlock?
A bootloader is a program that is the first thing that boots up in your device whenever you turn ON your device. It commands the device to run the appropriate programs in order to run smoothly and provide better performance. Moreover, the bootloader is stored away from the reach of the user and is stored at a stable memory so that the user could not hamper the files. However, there are methods and ways via which you can safely unlock the bootloader of the device and go ahead with flashing a custom recovery to root your device. But, you should make sure to follow a reliable guide and follow the steps correctly in order to avoid any permanent damage to your phone.
Why do we need to unlock the bootloader?
Once you have unlocked the bootloader on your phone, then you can root your phone. It allows the user to go ahead and install restricted apps, mod apps, install custom OS like Lineage OS, etc on the device. Note that the unlocking of the bootloader will void the warranty of your device. So, it is better to allow the warranty period to get over and then unlock it.
- You can install any custom ROM like Lineage OS, Resurrection ROM, etc.
- You can also root your device.
- Install a custom recovery like TWRP.
Disadvantages of bootloader unlock
Below are the disadvantages of the bootloader unlock that you need to keep in mind before you go ahead and actually unlock the bootloader of your phone:
- After unlocking the bootloader, it voids the warranty of your device.
- You will no longer receive the official OTA updates.
- You can brick your device if you do not follow the steps carefully.
Now before we go ahead and unlock the bootloader of Mi 10 Pro, let us make a list of pre-requisites that are required to unlock it:
Charge your phone
You need to make sure that your Mi 10 Pro is charged to about 60% before operating it for unlocking the bootloader to avoid any boot loop issues during the unlocking process.
You need a PC or Laptop
We would be running certain ADB and Fastboot commands that can be executed via PC or a laptop. So, we would need a computer in order to unlock the bootloader.
Download USB Drivers
In order to make your Mi 10 Pro recognized by your PC, you need to have proper USB Drivers appropriate to your phone installed on your computer. And for that, you can follow the link below to download the correct Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC.
Download Mi Unlock Tool
Mi Unlocker Tool is used for unlocking the bootloader of any Xiaomi device after getting permission From MIUI official website. You can download the latest Mi Unlock Tool by clicking the link below:
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock
To unlock the bootloader, first, you need to enable the USB Debugging and OEM unlock to interact with your PC or Laptop via the Mi Flash tool. You can follow the guide here on how to enable Developer Options and enable USB Debugging on your Mi 10 Pro phone
Bind your Mi Account
In order to unlock the bootloader on your Mi 10 Pro, you are first required to bind your Mi Account to your phone. This can be easily done via the Mi Unlock Status menu that is located within the Developer Options. Follow the steps below to bind your Mi Account with your Mi 10 Pro:
- Make sure that you have a Mi Account. If not then, it can be easily created by visiting the official page.
- You need to insert the SIM card with the same number that you used to create the Mi account.
- Now, you need to use your mobile internet connection and disconnect from the WiFi for the further process.
- Then, head over to Settings>>Additional Settings>>Developer Options>>Add account and device and log in with your account.
- You will be greeted with a toast message stating “Added successfully. Mi account is associated with this device now.“
- That’s it!
Note that you should not try to bind your account, again and again, to avoid getting blocked temporarily by Mi.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Mi 10 Pro
- Turn off your phone and boot into the fastboot mode.
- You need to connect your device to your PC/Laptop with the help of USB Cable while in Fastboot mode.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool from the above section.
- Extract the contents of the zip file and open the miflash_unlock.exe file.
- Log in to the Mi account within the tool.
- The tool will now verify whether your phone is eligible for bootloader unlocking.
- Once the phone is verified, the tool will show that the “Phone connected“.
- Now click the Unlock button within the tool.
- You will be prompted with a new message where you need to click on the Unlock anyway button.
- This will commence the unlocking process and once the process is complete, you will see a message stating Unlocked successfully.
- Click on the Reboot phone button. This will reboot your phone into the OS and you will be treated with an unlocked bootloader message confirming that the Mi 10 Pro is unlocked.
- That’s it!
So, there you have it from my side in this article. I hope that this guide will help you with the unlocking of your Mi 10 Pro easily and in a safe and official way. Please let us know in the comments if this guide was helpful and also comment down below if you have faced any issues with any of the above-mentioned steps. Until the next post…Cheers!