In the past, playing Windows games on Linux was a challenging endeavor, often involving installing Steam through Wine and configuring it to run games on a Linux PC. This process was time-consuming and cumbersome. However, with the introduction of Proton, a forked version of Steam, playing your favorite Windows games on Linux has become much more accessible.
You may be curious about what Proton is and how it works on your PC. Thankfully, we have you covered. In this article, we will explore Proton and how to use it to play Windows games on Linux systems. Proton, initially announced as a vital component of the Steam Play Project, is a modified version of the Windows compatibility layer called Wine. It comes pre-configured to allow users to run their favorite Windows games seamlessly.
When Proton was first introduced, it supported only around 27 games. However, the number of compatible games has grown significantly over time. Today, there is a vast array of games that can be played on Linux PCs without any hassle. Some titles may require minor configuration adjustments to run optimally on your system, but the overall process is much more user-friendly than before.
How To Use Steam Proton TO Play Windows Games On Linux?
Using Steam Proton is actually a much simpler task than it sounds like. By following the steps below, you can easily find out how to use Proton to play any Windows game on your Linux PC.
- Firstly, open steam and log in to your account.
- Search for the game you want to download.
- Deactivate the Penguin-like icon on the top of your Library (if already activated). This will make the install button go gray and unclickable.
- Over the top right corner of your screen, click on the gear icon.
- Now select ‘Properties’ from the drop-down menu.
- Now click on the Compatibility tab from the right-hand menu.
- Tick the checkbox beside “Force the use of a specific Steam Play Compatibility tool”.
- Ensure that the drop-down menu is set to the highest available version of Proton.
- Now exit the properties window.
- Once the above steps are done, the ‘Available for Windows’ message won’t be displayed. Also, the Install button will turn blue.
- Finally, click on the install button.
- Choose your shortcut preferences and click on the Next button. This will install the game and the Proton version as well.
- You can then start playing your game without further interruptions.
If you are just getting started with Linux or using it for a while now, you should be easily able to download your games for Windows on your Linux PC and play them without any issue. Even though sometimes you might develop some errors or come through other problems. But you should easily find solutions for them as there are tons of documentation regarding such issues on the internet. Else you can also comment below if you are having any trouble, and we will come up with some workaround as soon as possible.