Valheim is an excellent open-world game suitable for both single-player and multiplayer play. However, I can give some feedback on the single-player aspect of the game since I haven’t played multiplayer enough to have an in-depth opinion. Minecraft is a game where you can hack trees, upgrade crafting stations, and explore new materials in a building environment.
But, many users find that the Valheim Steam deck controls are not working after the recent patch update. Well, on our investigation, we have found some fixes that can potentially resolve this kind of error. So, if you are facing this problem, follow the steps below.
- How To Fix Valheim Steam Deck Controls Not Working
- Fix 1: Steam Configuration
- Fix 2: Driver Update
- Fix 3: Third-Party Controller Software
- Fix 4: Check-out System Requirements
- Fix 5: Properly Place the Storage and RAM in the Slot
- Fix 6: Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
- Fix 7: Update Valheim
- Fix 8: Check for Windows Updates
- Fix 9: Perform a Clean Boot
- Fix 10: Verify Game Files
How To Fix Valheim Steam Deck Controls Not Working
So, here are some fixes that will help you resolve the Valheim Steam Deck controls not working issue. Therefore, in case you are facing this problem, make sure to perform these fixes:
Fix 1: Steam Configuration
Steam is the only place this game can be purchased, so let’s start there. For your controller to work in Valheim, make sure it is properly configured on Steam. The procedure below will guide you through configuring your controller on Steam.
- Launch the Steam application
- Select Settings from the top left corner of Steam
- Click on General Controller Settings in the Controller section
- Select your gaming controller by clicking the checkbox
- To close the window, simply click on the Back button.
Finally, you should launch Valheim and check if the controller issue has been resolved. It is important to plug in your controller before launching the game.
Fix 2: Driver Update
You may have an outdated or incompatible driver on your computer, causing your controller to be unresponsive in Valheim. It may be possible to fix this problem by installing the generic controller driver. There is usually magic to this method. The generic controller driver can be installed if you haven’t already.
- Initially, your PC needs to be connected to the controller.
- Go to Device Manager and select USB Root Hub.
- Simply right-click and select Update Driver.
- You can find driver software on your computer by selecting Browse my computer.
- Then, select the option Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Finally, select USB Root Hub from the list and click Next.
The process can be repeated on any remaining USB Root Hub if more than two options appear on your Device Manager.
It is also possible to update the driver using Xbox 360 Peripherals, which are found in the settings of your computer. Here are the procedures you need to take:
- Initially, you will need to connect the controller to your PC
- Select Other Devices from Device Manager.
- Select Update Driver from the right-click menu when you see a question mark icon on the device.
- Choose Browse my computer for driver software.
- Choose from my computer’s list of available drivers.
- Choose Xbox 360 peripherals from the list.
- You can select Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows by hitting the next button.
- Once the changes have been made, confirm them by clicking the Yes button and close Device Manager.
Your controller should be working now. If it’s still not working, let’s try the last method that we know.
Fix 3: Third-Party Controller Software
Xbox 360 Controller Emulator is a third-party program that uses third-party software to emulate an Xbox 360 controller. Our recommendation for this emulator is based on what? Logitech controllers, PS4, and others are all supported because it supports almost all controllers on the market.
You can download the software by visiting the official website or clicking this link. Make sure you download the version of the 64-bit game from the official site if you wish to download it. We recommend checking out this tutorial if you are using this software for the first time.
Fix 4: Check-out System Requirements
Prior to jumping to any conclusion, make sure you check the system requirements. You may experience problems with the game launching and playing if your computer configuration isn’t compatible enough.
- OS: Windows 7 or newer
- CPU: 2.6 GHz Quad-Core
- RAM: 8 GB RAM
- GPU: GeForce GTX 950 or Radeon HD 7970
- DirectX: Version 11
- Free Storage: 1 GB available space
Fix 5: Properly Place the Storage and RAM in the Slot
On your PC, it is also recommended that you remove the side panel of the CPU cabinet before plugging in your HDD/SSD & RAM. If the Valheim stuck on the loading screen issue has been resolved, gently clean the slot and the component, then reposition them properly.
Fix 6: Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
To ensure there is no additional resource consumption occurring in the background on your PC, simply close unnecessary background tasks. The following steps should be taken to clear background tasks:
- To open Task Manager, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Go to the Processes tab and select the task you want to close.
- Select End Task and click it. For each task, make sure to follow the steps separately.
- You can change the effects immediately by restarting your computer once you have completed the process.
Fix 7: Update Valheim
Check for updates and apply the latest patch (if available) by following the steps below if you haven’t updated your Valheim game for a while. Here’s how:
- Navigate to Library > Click on Valheim in the left pane of the Steam client.
- You’ll be notified when an update is available. Hit the Update if there is an update available.
- Once the Update is installed, make sure to close the Steam client once it’s finished.
- Finally, restart your PC so that changes will take effect, and then relaunch the game.
Fix 8: Check for Windows Updates
It is highly likely that your Windows OS build will become outdated or corrupted. You can check for windows updates by following the steps below if you’re also feeling this way. It is easy to install an update if it is available. Whenever software is updated, bugs are fixed, and improvements are made. Here’s how:
- To access Windows Settings, press Windows + I.
- You can now check for updates under the Windows Update section by clicking on Update & Security.
Fix 9: Perform a Clean Boot
There is a possibility that some apps and their services will automatically start upon booting the system. This would definitely consume a lot of internet and system resources if those apps or services were used. Check for the problem by performing a clean boot on your computer if you experience the same symptoms. Here’s how:
- To open the Run dialog box, press Windows + R.
- To open System Configuration, type msconfig and hit Enter.
- You can hide all Microsoft services by checking the Hide all Microsoft services box under the Services tab.
- To save the changes, click Disable all. Then click Apply and then OK.
- Open the Task Manager by clicking on the Startup tab.
- It will open the Task Manager interface. Click on the Startup tab.
- Once that task has been selected, click on the one with the biggest startup impact.
- After selecting them, click Disable to prevent them from starting.
- Make sure you repeat these steps for each program whose startup impact is higher.
- For the changes to take effect, restart your computer after you’ve finished.
Fix 10: Verify Game Files
You can perform this method to check for a corrupted or missing game file if the game files are corrupted or missing. After performing the steps mentioned below, the Valheim Steam Deck controls not working issue gets resolved.
- Steam > Library > Launch Steam.
- In the list of games installed, right-click on Valheim.
- Go to Local Files by clicking Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Then, check the game files’ integrity by clicking Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- It will take some time for the process to complete.
- You can restart your computer once you’re done.
So, that’s how to fix the Valheim Steam Deck controls not working issue. I hope you have found this guide helpful. In the meantime, let us know if you need more information by commenting below.