Windows OS often has some errors to offer when it comes to installing updates. Most users come across a certain Error 2149842967, Windows update could not be installed message. In this guide, I have explained why they get this error message and how to fix that up? Normally, if your system detects that you have already installed the update or there is no need for the update, then you will see this error.
There are a few solutions that can fix this issue. You can try to reset the update components or manage the Background Intelligence Transfer System. If the Error 2149842967 is happening due to a corrupt system file, then you can fix that as well. You have to scan the system files to know about the issues. Apart from that, you can use the inbuilt troubleshooter to detect and fix if there is a problem with the updates.
Table of Contents
Windows Update Could Not be Installed | Error 2149842967
Let’s get down to the troubleshoot and fix this error.
Scan System Files
To scan for corrupt system files on your system,
- Type cmd in the Type Here to Search box
- Then click Open below Command Prompt
- Give the command sfc/scannow [make sure you have the administration right]
Enable BITS Service if it’s Not Active
BITS stands for Background Intelligence Transfer Service.
- Press Windows + R
- type services.msc and hit Enter
- From the list of Services Name, scroll to Background Intelligence Transfer Service
- Double click on it to open its settings
- Make sure the Start-Up Type is set to Automatic
- Also, ensure that the service status is set to Running
- If the service status is set to Stop, click on the Start button to enable it.
Use Windows Troubleshooter
- In the Type Here to Search Box, type Troubleshoot settings
- Click Open on the best match result that shows up
- Then click Windows Update > click Run the Troubleshooter
The tool will run, detect if there is an issue, and let you know what fixes it will carry out.
Reset the Windows Update Components to Fix Error 2149842967
Now, out of all the troubleshooting methods, this one is a bit technically complex. To explain in simple words, we will stop the BITS service and then restart it. Let’s get down to the steps.
- Use Windows + R
- Type in cmd and hit Enter to launch the Command prompt
- Write the following commands in this order and hit enter after entering each command
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
- Now, type the following command
Del "%ALLUSERPROFILE%\Appplication Data\Microsoft\Network\Downlaoder\qmgr*.dat"
- Here, in this step, you have to enter these two commands
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
- Access the System 32 folder using this command
- Enter these commands in the same order. It will register the services again on your system.
regsvr32.exe atl.dll regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll regsvr32.exe browseui.dll regsvr32.exe jscript.dll regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll regsvr32.exe msxml.dll regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
- In this step, enter the following commands
netsh winsock reset netsh win http reset proxy
- Now, to restart the BITS services using these following commands.
net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc net start bits net start wuauserv
Now, I suggest you to restart your computer to implement the changes. If you try to install the software updates now, I do not think you will face Error 2149842967. Try it out. I hope that this guide was useful to you.