If you are a Windows user and looking to have a good webcam for your PC or laptop, then you do not need to buy any webcam. You can use your android phone as a webcam for your PC. All you need is to have the correct application, Windows software client, and a few settings. Some of the useful apps and essential steps to use your android phone as a webcam has discussed below.
The application discussed here is a widely used application to convert your Android phone into a Webcam. The app named ‘DroidCam.’ There are multiple applications for converting your android phone as a Webcam for your PC. This app is one of the most reliable and tested mobile app you can use for your purpose. In the below section, a comprehensive and detailed setup has discussed for ‘DroidCam.’
- Why you need to use your Android phone as a Webcam:
- What you need to use an Android phone as a Webcam:
- How to use your Android phone as a webcam for your PC:
Why you need to use your Android phone as a Webcam:
It is effortless and handy to turn your Android phone into a webcam that you can use with your Windows computer. You will need to do this if you do not have a Webcam or if you have a not working Webcam on your PC. For necessary video conferencing, it is a must to have a Webcam, and here is a guide on how you can use your Android phone as a Webcam for your Windows PC. There are multiple applications you can use for the purpose. All apps have the same interface to work, but here the process has discussed for ‘DroidCam’ application.
What you need to use an Android phone as a Webcam:
There are several requirements for using your Android phone as a Webcam on a PC. First, you need to download an application from the play store on your phone. There is a variety of apps available. The most preferred app for this purpose is ‘DroidCam.’ Just visit the play store and download ‘DroidCam.’ Second, you need is a computer or laptop for which you are in need to have a Webcam. You have to make sure that both are running on the same network during the connection.
The ‘DroidCam’ app is available in two versions: free and paid. The free version displays ads on your smartphone, while the paid Pro version offers to support high-resolution video, image contrast and sharpness, and many other features. However, the free version of this app will be sufficient for your primary purpose to convert as an Android phone into a Webcam for PC.
How to use your Android phone as a webcam for your PC:
There are few steps mentioned below to know about converting the Android phone into a webcam for your PC. Follow each step and get what you want:
Download and install the ‘DroidCam’ App:
The very first thing you will need is an application for your Smartphone. You can use ‘DroidCam’ application for your purpose, and you can download it from the play store. You need to visit the play store on your phone and search for ‘DroidCam Wireless webcam.’ The application with the green-colored Android icon is you need to install on your phone. Now, move on to your Windows computer, and proceed.
Download and install the ‘DroidCam Client’ App on your Windows PC:
You need to download a client application to connect your phone with your Windows PC or laptop. You need to visit the official website of ‘DroidCam,’ or you can simply search ‘DroidCam’ on Google. Look for ‘DroidCam Windows Client’ on that page and download it on your PC. Once you tap on the ‘download’ button, a ZIP file will get download to your system. The ZIP file is of not more than 1MB. You need to extract its contents.
For extraction, right-click the downloaded ZIP file and hit on ‘Extract files.’ In the extracted folder, you will find the DroidCam application program. Launch and install the application client on your PC.
You do not need to download drivers from any external source. Just follow the steps to get the drivers:
- Double click the executable file from your system and install DroidCam client
- You need to click on ‘proceed’ or ‘next’ to allow the permissions
- You will get pop-up about whether you want to install driver software from “DEV47 APPS.”
- Hit ‘Install’ to get your drivers downloaded
- If you are not installing the drivers, the Windows client will not connect to the app on your Android phone.
- When the installation process is complete, then open the Windows client and move to the next step.
Connect client with the application:
Now, you need to connect your phone and PC to use your android phone as a Webcam for your PC. Follow the steps to join:
- Open ‘DroidCam’ app on your Android phone
- Read the quick guide and tap Next
- You will find some instructions pop-ups, skip them by clicking on ‘Got it.’
- The application now asks you for permission to use your Android phone’s camera and microphone
- Allow your phone to give access to the phone’s camera and microphone
- Now the application loads a new screen. On this screen, the Wi-Fi network will show, you might connect to one of the mentioned
- You need to keep your phone unlocked as you will need some of the information from the appeared connection screen
- Now proceed to your PC and open ‘DroidCam Client’ app
- You will find a tab named ‘connect over LAN section.’
- Enter the details required here. You must get details from your phone’s connection screen
- It will require the same IP and port address mentioned on the phone’s screen
- You can change permission access for audio or video
- Now you can use your phone as a Webcam for PC
Start the feed from Android phone:
After following the steps as mentioned above, you need to click on the ‘Start’ button to get the video feed started transmitting to your PC from the Android phone.
Use your Android phone as a webcam on Skype or other similar apps:
- Open Skype app
- Proceed to ‘settings.’
- Go to ‘video settings’ section
- Find ‘Video source’ and select DroidCam as your source
- Enjoy the video conferencing through Skype by using your phone as a webcam
Now, if you were having a problem with Webcam as it got failure or it is not working for any reason, your issue has a solution for your concern. You might find how easy it was to convert your Android phone into a Webcam for your PC. This mentioned process was for a particular application, but you can download and enjoy the same interface on various apps, which has discussed above.
Almost every application has free and paid versions, so you need to choose any version according to your needs. Paid versions will have more features than a free version. If your primary concern is to use the Webcam, then you must go for a free version. You must be very careful about the privacies, so make sure that you are not granting permission to access your device information. Just allow the applications to access cameras and microphones. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.