The Apc_index_mismatch error is a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) error that generally indicates that your system contains an incompatible device driver or there is a hardware issue. Whenever this particular error occurs, it forces the user to restart their system every time. Though it is one common error for every device and Windows version. The error message will sometimes name the file that triggered the said error such as ntoskrnl.exe, wdf01000.sys, fltmgr.sys, vhdmp.sys and win32k.sys.
Regardless of how problematic this error is, we have found a list of fixes for the same that will possibly help you resolve the same within no time. If you are also the one suffering from the Apc_index_mismatch ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error, then consider following the list of solutions in the article below. Have a look:
- How to fix the “APC_INDEX_MISMATCH ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error”?
How to fix the “APC_INDEX_MISMATCH ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error”?
FIX 1: Disable Realtek HD Audio Manager from startup:
The Realtek HD Audio Manager is one of the primary triggers that further leads to the “APC_INDEX_MISMATCH ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error”. Hence here we recommend you to disable the Realtek HD Audio Manager from startup first and check whether it helps or not. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, restart your computer a few times before the Automatic Repair starts.
- Now once the repair process starts (Windows will do the same automatically), click on Troubleshoot and then select Advanced options.
- Further, navigate to the Startup Settings and then click on the Restart tab.
- Now once your system restarts, press the 5 or F5 key and select Safe Mode with networking.
- Further, once you have entered the Safe Mode, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc altogether, and it will launch the Task Manager window for you.
- On the Task Manager window, navigate to the Startup section from the vertical menu and then from the list of apps below, locate and right-click over Realtek HD Audio Manager and then select the option Disable.
- Once done, close the Task Manager window and then restart your computer. The said error would have possibly got resolved by now.
FIX 2: Install the latest Windows updates:
As per a lot of suffered users, installing the latest Windows update solved the “Apc_index_mismatch ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error” easily for them. Hence, consider doing the same and follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, you need to open the Settings app by pressing Windows + I simultaneously.
- Now in the Settings window, select the Update and Security option.
- Here on the right-pane menu, click on the Check for updates tab. Your system will now check and download any available update automatically in the background.
Once the updates are installed, restart your computer and check whether it has helped or not.
FIX 3: Use a BSOD troubleshooter:
Errors that are particularly related to BSOD are commonly triggered due to the common suspects, including damaged DLLs, driver issues, damaged registries, hardware issues, etc. Thus, one of the best ways to deal with them is by using a dedicated BSOD troubleshooter.
There are several such troubleshooters available online that can deal with these common suspects, further resolve the “Apc_index_mismatch ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error” for you.
Similarly, you can also use the Windows 10 built-in troubleshooter for BSOD and check whether they help or not.
FIX 4: Uninstall the DisplayLink driver:
Users who generally use additional monitors need the DisplayLink driver. However, some studies have found out that DisplayLink driver and Windows 10 at times show many incompatibilities and can trigger certain errors. Here, in this case, it is advisable to uninstall the DisplayLink driver and check whether it helps or not. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, launch the Control Panel window and then select the option Programs and Features.
- On the next screen, locate DisplayLink Core software, right-click over it and select the option Uninstall.
- Once done, restart your computer.
NOTE: To remove the DisplayLink driver completely, it is essential to download and run DisplayLink Installation Cleaner as well. Make sure you perform this step.
FIX 5: Check your drivers:
Outdated and incompatible drivers can possibly trigger the “Apc_index_mismatch ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error” on your system. Thus, it is advisable to check your driver and update them. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
NOTE: If you are not able to access Windows 10, it is advisable to enter the Safe Mode and then perform this step.
- Firstly, press Windows + X altogether, choose the option Device Manager from the context menu, and launch it on your screen.
- Now in the Device Manager window, locate the newly installed device. Then any device with a yellow triangle or the unknown device drivers needs to be updated first.
- Now once you locate the same, right-click over it and select the option Update driver. Simultaneously, you can also download the latest drivers online.
However, updating the driver manually can be a long and tedious process; thus, it is recommended to use a dedicated third-party tool available online.
FIX 6: Change your RAM frequency:
Changing your RAM’s frequency is one of the proven solutions that can resolve the “Apc_index_mismatch ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error” on your system. However, it is one of the advanced functions, and changing RAM frequency (if not done rightly) can also lead to system instability. Thus, it is advisable to perform the same at your own risk.
Also, make sure if the motherboard is not able to handle the frequency of your RAM, then consider removing any overclock settings that you have. You can also underclock your RAM in order to make it match your motherboard frequency.
FIX 7: Disable Virtualization in BIOS:
Disabling the Virtualization feature in BIOS can also possibly resolve the “Apc_index_mismatch ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error” on your system. However, not all systems have a Virtualization feature available in BIOS and only if you have, consider following the steps given below:
- Firstly, press the F2 or the Delete key during the boot sequence in order to enter the BIOS setting.
- Now inside the BIOS setting, find and disable the Virtualization feature.
Note: For detailed instructions, it is advisable to check your motherboard manual.
FIX 8: Check your hardware:
One of the prime reasons that can occur the “Apc_index_mismatch ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error” is the faulty hardware. Mainly, the touchpad of the laptop is found responsible for triggering the same error (as per suffered users). However, we advise you to check all your hardware and replace the ones that are required.
These were all the 8 fixes that are tried, tested, and proven for resolving the “APC_INDEX_MISMATCH ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error” in your system. However, if none of them works for you, then consider checking if any particular software is interfering and causing the error. If yes, then remove the software.
At times, a few third-party software, specifically antivirus programs, can interfere with the process and can result in the “APC_INDEX_MISMATCH ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error”. Also, to make sure that all the related files to that software are deleted, consider using a dedicated tool. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.