BitTorrent is a communication protocol that helps in downloading peer-to-peer content quite easily and within no time. However, regardless of how useful it is, there are a lot of users who have been reportedly claiming that they are seeing an error prompt stating, “The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.” The error mainly occurs when a user tries to download any peer-to-peer content by using BitTorrent.
- How to Fix BitTorrent Error The Process Cannot Access The File?
- FIX 1: Close all Application Processes that are interfering with BitTorrent:
- FIX 2: Stop in case an Antivirus is Interfering with BitTorrent:
- Scenario 1: Uninstalling the 3rd party antivirus suite (if applicable). (Use this fix if you can afford to use the system without the 3rd party antivirus suite):
- Scenario 2: Whitelisting the download folder of BitTorrent in your AV suite (This fix is advisable in case you want to make any underlying changes to your security protocols):
- Scenario 3: Disabling the Antivirus suite (It is a temporary fix that will let you complete the download):
- FIX 3: Redownload the file outside a dropbox / Drive / OneDrive folder:
How to Fix BitTorrent Error The Process Cannot Access The File?
The said error issues can be triggered due to several reasons. Some of these reasons can be; in case, Torrent is downloaded in a cloud storage application, due to 3rd party Antivirus interference, or if the torrent client is attempting to write to a file that is also being processed by a different application. Also, the error message is known to be triggered in various BitTorrent builds. However, despite the triggers and builds, here are few sure-shot methods that will help you in getting rid of the “BitTorrent Error ‘The Process Cannot Access the File.” Have a look:
FIX 1: Close all Application Processes that are interfering with BitTorrent:
The first and prime cause that can trigger the BitTorrent Error’ The Process Cannot Access the File’ can be other application processes running alongside. Here the first solution is to ensure that no other third-party application is running alongside and attempting to write data on the same files on which BitTorrent is trying to do the exact.
However, if closing the third-party applications does not help in your case, then it is advisable to ensure that there are no background processes functioning to the suspected applications. At times, when the programs are closed on the desktop, they can still keep running in the background. To ensure whether they are closed well or not, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc, and it will launch the Task Manager window.
- Now in the Task Manager window, scroll down the list of processes, locate the entries that might belong to the interfering applications, right-click over them and select the option End Task.
Important Note: File indexers like Finder (macOS) and File Explorer (Windows) are not uncommon to cause the BitTorrent Error’ The Process Cannot Access the File’. Considering this, it is advisable to make sure that the folder of the torrent that’s currently triggering the error is not currently operated in a file indexing tool.
FIX 2: Stop in case an Antivirus is Interfering with BitTorrent:
In one possible scenario, your antivirus software can flag those torrent files that you have just downloaded due to a false positive and, as a result, can trigger the BitTorrent Error ‘The Process Cannot Access the File’ issue. To rule out this possibility, you can work on three possible scenarios, of them including is:
Note: Users have to figure out the root cause and then use any of these methods accordingly.
Users who are experiencing the BitTorrent Error’ The Process Cannot Access the File’ issue due to any 3rd party antivirus suite, they can uninstall the same and check whether it helps or not. Once you uninstall the same, it will automatically revert your computer to the default security combination that is Windows Defender + Windows Firewall. To uninstall 3rd party antivirus suite, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, launch the RUN dialogue box by pressing Windows + R altogether.
- Now in the empty dialogue box, type “appwiz.cpl” and then click on OK. It will launch the Programs and Features menu on your screen.
- Inside the Programs and Features screen, scroll down the list and locate the antivirus suite installed in your system.
- Further, right-click over the antivirus suite and select the option Uninstall from the Context menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in order to complete the uninstallation process and once it is done, restart your computer. Now check and confirm whether the said issue got resolved or not.
In case you are not looking to uninstall your antivirus suite, another suitable solution is to whitelist the download folder of BitTorrent in your AV suite. It will further prevent your AV suite from interfering with the peer-to-peer content downloaded via BitTorrent.
Note: The steps might differ a little bit depending upon the Antivirus Suite you are using.
The steps below are applicable only for the users who are using Windows Defender + Windows firewall as the default Antivirus / Firewall suite.
- Firstly, launch the RUN dialogue box by pressing Windows + R altogether.
- Now in the empty dialogue box, type “ms-settings:windowsdefender” and then press It will launch Windows Defender on your screen.
- On the Windows Defender screen, navigate to the right-pane menu and click over the option Open Windows Security.
- Now on the next screen, click over the option Virus & threat protection.
- On the Virus & Threat Protection settings menu, select Manage Settings -> Add an Exclusion (under Exclusions).
- After that, go to the folder that serves as the default location for every BitTorrent download, then you need to add it to the list of excepted items and then save the changes.
- Once you are done, check whether the said issue got resolved or not.
As per a few suffered users, who were only looking for a temporary resort that can let them complete the downloading process, disabling the Antivirus suite temporarily helped them here. For doing so,
- Firstly, on the Desktop tray (at the bottom of your screen), open your Antivirus suite.
- Now right-click over the antivirus tray bar icon and locate and select the temporarily Disabling options. Make sure the option allows you to temporarily disable its shields.
Note: For users who are using the built-in AV (Windows Defender + Windows Firewall), the disabling steps might differ.
FIX 3: Redownload the file outside a dropbox / Drive / OneDrive folder:
The location that’s currently maintained by Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Dropbox can, at times, become responsible for triggering the BitTorrent Error ‘The Process Cannot Access the File’ while you try to download a torrent file (via BitTorrent). Here it is advisable to re-download the file outside a dropbox / Drive / OneDrive folder. Once you do so, it will end the conflict between the cloud storage application and BitTorrent (In case they are accessing files from that particular folder at the same time).
The solution here requires to first delete the torrent from the cloud storage location. Further, re-download it in a regular location over the scope of Drive, OneDrive, or DropBox. For doing the same, follow the instructions given below:
- Firstly, launch BitTorrent and right-click on the torrent that is throwing the error.
- Now from the context menu, select the option Remove And, then click on Delete .torrent + data.
- Again, double-click on the .torrent file and then select a location that is beyond the scope of your cloud storage solution.
- Once done, it will resolve the BitTorrent Error ‘The Process Cannot Access the File’ issue permanently.
These were all the tried, tested and successful fixes that are proven to resolve the BitTorrent Error ‘The Process Cannot Access the File’ issue for a lot of suffered users. Once you are familiar with the root cause that is triggering the said error, you can use the fix that suits the best for that condition.
The BitTorrent Error’ The Process Cannot Access the File’ issue is quite common these days, and if you are facing the same, you are not alone. By the end of this article, we hope that all the information mentioned here will prove helpful in your case. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.