The Callisto Protocol is a survival horror video game developed by Striking Distance Studios and published by Krafton. It was released on December 2, 2022, and is directed by Glen Schofield, who had previously co-created the Dead Space series. The game is now available for the PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Series S, and Microsoft Windows. However, like other video games, the Callisto Protocol title also has a screen tearing issue on PC, PS4, PS5, or Xbox Consoles, which is irritating.
If you’re also facing the same issue, follow this troubleshooting guide completely to fix it. Screen Flickering or Screen Tearing becomes one of the most common issues among players, whether using a PC or a console. In this scenario, the specific game seems to have some graphical glitches, or the visuals occasionally start shimmering, which affects the gameplay experience and nothing else.
- Fix: Callisto Protocol Screen Tearing on PC
- 1. Enable V-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel
- 2. Try Lowering In-Game Graphics Settings
- 3. Update GPU Drivers
- 4. Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
- 5. Check Your Internet Connection
- 6. Update Callisto Protocol
- 7. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
- 8. Set High Performance in Power Options
- 9. Set High Priority in Task Manager
- 10. Update Windows
- Fix: Callisto Protocol Screen Tearing on PS4 and PS5
- 1. Use Another Graphics Mode
- 2. Reboot the PS4/PS5 Console
- 3. Update PlayStation Firmware
- 4. Update Callisto Protocol
- 5. Power Cycle your PS4/PS5
- 6. Keep PS4/PS5 in a well-ventilated area
- 7. Check your TV or Monitor
- 8. Check the HDMI port
- 9. Check the Free Hard Drive Space
- 10. Eject the Game Disc and Gently Clean It
- 11. Try Playing Another Game on PS4/PS5
- 12. Clear Callisto Protocol Game Data
- 13. Rebuild Database
- 14. Hard Reset your Console
- 15. Don’t Put in Rest Mode
- Fix: Callisto Protocol Screen Tearing on Xbox Consoles
Fix: Callisto Protocol Screen Tearing on PC
The chances are high that somehow your in-game graphics settings or the V-Sync issue is conflicting with the online multiplayer title. As per multiple reports, most affected players face the screen flickering or shimmering issue during cutscenes. Here we’ve shared all the possible workarounds that should help a lot.
It’s highly mentioned that if you’re facing the screen flickering or tearing issue in the gameplay, that doesn’t mean your game has some issues because it may also be possible that somehow your PC or console has some issues with the software/hardware segment. Though online multiplayer video games have several bugs or stability issues in plenty of scenarios, you should always cross-check the reason and try fixing it manually.
1. Enable V-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel
Turning on the Vertical Sync feature on your Nvidia Control Panel app for the Callisto Protocol game is recommended to avoid graphical glitches up to some extent. Remember that this method only applies if using an Nvidia graphics card.
- Launch the Nvidia Control Panel from the Start menu. If it’s not installed, go to Microsoft Store and install it.
- Go to 3D Settings > Select Manage 3D settings in the Nvidia Control Panel interface.
- Select Program Settings > Click on Add and select Callisto Protocol from the list of programs on your PC.
- If the game application isn’t listed, click Browse and head over to the installed Callisto Protocol directory on the drive.
- Locate the Callisto Protocol folder and add the DyingLight2.exe application > Then select the game in the list and add it.
- Please scroll down to Vertical sync > Click on it and select On to enable it. This will force the Callisto Protocol game to use V-Sync every time.
- Restart your computer to apply changes and play the game to check for the issue again.
2. Try Lowering In-Game Graphics Settings
First, you should try lowering the in-game graphics settings on your PC or console to check if that helps you fix the frame drops or stuttering issues. Try turning off some of the display settings for the Callisto Protocol game such as texture details, shadow effect, v-sync, anti-aliasing, etc. This should improve the FPS count and performance/smoothness in gameplay.
3. Update GPU Drivers
If in case, you haven’t updated your graphics driver on the Windows computer, then make sure to install the latest patch version. To do so, you’ll need to check for available updates by following the steps below:
- Press Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Display adapters.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that you’re using.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If an update is available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes immediately.
4. Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
Another thing you can do is close unnecessary background tasks on your PC to ensure there is no additional consumption of system resources happening in the background. Make sure to keep Callisto Protocol, Steam, and other system-related tasks running as it is. To clear out background tasks:
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Select the task that you want to close.
- Once selected, click on End Task. Make sure to do the steps for each task individually.
- Finally, restart your computer to change effects immediately, and check for the Callisto Protocol screen flickering or tearing issue.
5. Check Your Internet Connection
You should also try checking for the internet connection on your PC to see whether it’s running well or not. A slower internet speed or unstable connectivity can cause issues with the game launching or fetching data from the server. You can also try switching the internet connection from wired (ethernet) to wireless (Wi-Fi) to cross-check the network connectivity problem.
If your IP address has some issues or your DNS address is troubling you, then make sure to use the Google DNS address on the PC to avoid rubberbanding connection or stuttering, or even lagging issues that can happen due to slow internet.
6. Update Callisto Protocol
Sometimes an outdated game version can also bring multiple bugs or issues. Updating your Callisto Protocol game is better by following the steps below. If an update is available, then install the latest patch. To do this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library > Click on Callisto Protocol from the left pane.
- It’ll automatically search for the available update. If there is an update available, make sure to click on Update.
- It may take some time to install the update > Once done, make sure to close the Steam client.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes, and then try launching the game again.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Head over to Library.
- Now, click on the three dots icon of Callisto Protocol Stay Human.
- Make sure the Auto Update option is turned on.
7. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
If in case there is an issue with the game files and they somehow gets corrupted or missing, then make sure to perform this method to easily check for the issue.
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Callisto Protocol from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, restart your computer.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Library.
- Click on the three-dots icon of Callisto Protocol Stay Human.
- Click on Verify, and it’ll start verifying the game files.
- Wait for the process to complete and restart the launcher.
8. Set High Performance in Power Options
If, in case, your Windows system is running on the Balanced mode in Power Options, just set the High-Performance mode for better results. Although this option will take higher power usage or battery usage. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu > Type Control Panel and click on it from the search result.
- Now, go to Hardware and Sound > Select Power Options.
- Click on High Performance to select it.
- Make sure to close the window and fully shut down your computer. To do this, click on the Start Menu > Go to Power > Shut Down.
- Once your computer is fully turned off, you can power it on again.
9. Set High Priority in Task Manager
Make your game priority in the higher segment via the Task Manager to tell your Windows system to run the game properly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Start Menu > Select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Right-click on the Callisto Protocol game task.
- Select Set Priority to High > Close Task Manager.
- Finally, run the Callisto Protocol game to check if it crashing on PC or not.
10. Update Windows
Updating Windows OS build is always essential for PC users and gamers to reduce system glitches, compatibility issues, and crashes. Meanwhile, the latest version mostly includes additional features, improvements, security patches, and more. To do that:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- It may take a while to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to install the update.
Fix: Callisto Protocol Screen Tearing on PS4 and PS5
If you’re using the PS4 or PS5 console and facing the flickering screen issue quite often, then make sure to follow the methods below one by one until the problem gets fixed.
1. Use Another Graphics Mode
It’s expected to occasionally encounter frame drops in some games, even if you’re using the PS4/PS5 console. Make sure to try using another graphics mode in the game settings menu to cross-check whether the higher graphics settings are conflicting with the system performance or not. Sometimes changing the graphics mode or reducing the graphics quality to some extent (depending on your need), may fix such an issue.
2. Reboot the PS4/PS5 Console
If, in case, you’re one of the PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console users and having issues with the system performance or even the in-game performance, then make sure to reboot the PS4/PS5 console to refresh the system. Sometimes a simple restart of the console may fix the issue with the game crashes or lags, stutters, screen flickering, etc.
3. Update PlayStation Firmware
Updating the PS4/PS5 system software is recommended to avoid graphical glitches or lags. You can follow the steps below to install the update.
- Head over to Settings > Hit System.
- Select System Software > Hit System Software Update and Settings.
- Select Update System Software > Select Update Using Internet.
4. Update Callisto Protocol
If you haven’t updated the Callisto Protocol video game on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console for a while, then make sure to update it by following the steps below:
- Turn on your PS4/PS5 console > Go to the Home screen.
- Now, navigate to the main menu on top.
- Head over to the Games tab.
- Scroll down to Callisto Protocol and highlight it.
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- Finally, choose to Check for Update from the drop-down menu.
5. Power Cycle your PS4/PS5
Sometimes, any system glitch or cache issue can cause errors, crashes, lags, screen flickering, etc. You can simply clear the temporary cache or glitch by power cycling your console to improve the performance.
- First, shut down your console completely.
- Next, remove the power cable from the console.
- Wait for around 30 seconds and plug back the cable in.
- Finally, turn on the PS4/PS5 console and check for the issue again.
6. Keep PS4/PS5 in a well-ventilated area
In some scenarios, your PS4/PS5 console may trigger several issues with the system performance or game lags due to overheating. Sometimes the lack of proper air ventilation in the room may cause hardware stress that directly affects gameplay or gaming performance. So, you should keep your PS4/PS5 console in a well-ventilated place to check if there is an overheating issue or not.
The proper airflow and the cooler place or temperature inside the room might help the PS4/PS5 console work better. Keeping the console in a congested area or directly under sunlight may trouble a lot.
7. Check your TV or Monitor
Another possible reason behind the Callisto Protocol game lagging on the PS4/PS5 console is that your TV or monitor might have some issues with the screen refresh rate. Maybe a temporary glitch or the refresh rate issue on the PS4/PS5 console may trigger some issues.
8. Check the HDMI port
It’s also recommended to check the HDMI port of both the console and display device properly because a misalignment or even dust particles can easily cause connectivity issues whatsoever. Try gently removing the HDMI cable and then blow some air in force to clear dirt/dust from the HDMI port.
9. Check the Free Hard Drive Space
Sometimes having low storage space on the hard drive can also trigger application launching issues apart from glitches, slow loading, lags, graphical issues, etc. You should always check for the free hard drive storage space before getting to any other conclusion. If the free storage space is too low, then make sure to uninstall unnecessary games or other applications from your PlayStation console and check for the screen tearing issue again.
10. Eject the Game Disc and Gently Clean It
If in case, you’re using the disc edition of the PlayStation console, then keeping and using the physical discs is quite a tough job because any kind of scratches or physical damage, or even dust particles can easily ruin the disc and your gaming experience too. So, it’s suggested to simply eject the game disc and gently clean it using a microfiber cloth to remove smudges and dirt, then try inserting the disc again to check for the issue.
11. Try Playing Another Game on PS4/PS5
Sometimes PlayStation games may not run properly which is a bit of a letdown. Make sure to play another game on the PS4/PS5 console to check for the issue or wait for some time to try again.
12. Clear Callisto Protocol Game Data
It seems that clearing out the game saved data on the console may also fix multiple issues with the game launching or gameplay. You can try it out:
- Go to Settings > Select Application Saved Data Management.
- Choose either System Storage or Online Storage or USB Storage > Select Delete.
- Select the Callisto Protocol game > Checkmark the files that you want to delete or just Select All.
- Finally, select Delete > Select OK to confirm the task.
- Once done, reboot your console to check for the Callisto Protocol screen flickering issue on the PS4/PS5 console.
13. Rebuild Database
Rebuilding the database on your PlayStation console can quickly resolve the potential issues or errors. To do so:
- Switch off your console completely. Unplug the power cable from the console and wait for around 2-3 minutes.
- Now, plug in the power cable, and turn it on to clear the Cached Data automatically from the system.
Check whether this issue has been fixed with the Callisto Protocol Stay Human game or not. If not, follow the next steps below.
- Now, press and hold the Power button on the PlayStation console until you hear 2 beeps. [The second beep will sound after seven seconds]
- The console will boot in the Safe Mode > Connect the controller to the USB with the console and press the PS Button on the controller.
- Next, you’ll get an option called Rebuild Database.
- Select Rebuild Database and confirm the task.
- It may take some time depending on the hard drive data size. Have some patience.
- Once done, just reboot the system normally.
14. Hard Reset your Console
In most cases, performing the hard reset of your console can fix system glitches or cache data issues from the game itself. To do so:
- Switch off your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console first.
- Once the console is turned off, press and hold the Power button on the console until you hear two beep sounds within a couple of seconds.
- Here you’ll see two reset options to choose from.
- Select the necessary option to reset your PlayStation console.
- Wait for the process to complete and then make sure to sign in to the PlayStation account.
- Finally, install the Callisto Protocol game, and try running it.
15. Don’t Put in Rest Mode
As a bonus method make sure not to put your console in the rest mode because it may cause the system to have glitches or fully goes into the rest mode. So, during the gameplay sessions, don’t put in the rest mode. To do so:
- Go to the PS5 Settings menu > Open the Power Saving tab.
- Select Set Time Until PS4/PS5 Enter Rest Mode.
- Set to Don’t Put in Rest Mode > Restart the console to apply changes.
Fix: Callisto Protocol Screen Tearing on Xbox Consoles
If you’re using the Xbox gaming console and facing the screen tearing issue with the Callisto Protocol game then make sure to follow the methods below.
1. Check System Updates
We’ll highly recommend you check for system updates on the Xbox console before jumping into any other getting into any other workarounds because an outdated system version can trigger screen-related issues whatsoever. To do so:
- Press the Home button on the Xbox console to open the Dashboard menu.
- Now, select Settings from the bottom of the menu > Select All Settings.
- Choose to System > Select Updates.
- Select Update Console (if available) > Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update process.
- Once done, make sure to restart the console to apply changes.
2. Update Callisto Protocol
You should also update the game version on your console to ensure there is no issue with the game files. An outdated or corrupted game can easily trigger multiple issues whatsoever. To do so:
- Go to the My Games and Apps section of your Dashboard menu.
- Select Manage > Go to Updates.
- If your Callisto Protocol game has any available updates, you can find them easily.
- Make sure to select the update process and press the A button on the controller to start it.
Note: It’s worth recommending to go to the Settings page > Choose to Systems > Select Updates to make your game update automatically whenever the console is connected to the internet.
3. Power Cycle your Xbox Console
It’s worth mentioning to perform a power cycle method on your Xbox console to ensure there is no issue with the device firmware or glitch. A normal reboot might not work in most cases and requires a power cycle process to clear out temporary glitches or cache data issues. To do this:
- Power Off the Xbox console > Unplug the power cable from the console and power source.
- Now, wait for around 30 seconds, and then plug back the power cable in.
- Make sure to turn on the Xbox console and check whether the screen flickering issue has been fixed or not.
4. Reinstall the Game
You should also try uninstalling and reinstalling the Callisto Protocol game on your Xbox console. Once done, make sure to reinstall it on the Xbox console to avoid game-related issues. To do this:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu.
- Select My Games and Apps > Hit See all > Choose to Games.
- Then select the Ready to install tab > Select Queue.
- Select the Callisto Protocol game that you’re trying to reinstall.
- Now, press the Menu button on your controller.
- Select Manage game & add-ons or Manage app.
- Choose Callisto Protocol > Select Uninstall all.
- Make sure to select Uninstall all to confirm the task.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to complete.
- Reboot the system to apply changes.
- Then press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu again.
- Hit My Games and Apps > Select See all > Go to Games.
- Select the Ready to install tab > Hit Install for Callisto Protocol.
- Wait for the installation process and then restart the console.
5. Reset the Console
If the above methods didn’t work for you then make sure to follow the steps below to simply reset the console manually. By doing so, you can easily clear out system glitches or cache data issues from your console whatsoever. To do so:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu.
- Select Profile & system > Go to Settings > Select System.
- Go to Console info > Select Reset console.
- You’ll get a prompt like Reset your console?
- Here you should select Reset and remove everything. [This will delete all user data including accounts, saved games, settings, all installed apps & games, etc]
- Although you can choose to Reset and keep my games & apps, it may not gonna resolve the issue in most cases.
- After you select the option, your Xbox console starts deleting and resetting the system to the factory default settings.
- Wait for the process to get completed then reboot the console.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.