If you use Google Drive to create a backup of your data, then you must know that this data is saved in a folder. This folder by default sits in the C:/ drive of your computer. It may happen that at one point you may start to run out of storage on the C drive. Most of the applications we all install have their program and setup files in the same drive. In case, the storage issue happens is it possible to change the Google Drive folder location on your Windows 10 PC? The answer is Yes.
In this guide, I have explained how to change the folder location to any other drive on your computer. You must be running the Google Backup and Sync desktop client on your PC. You have to initially disconnect your account to reset the target folder location. Do not worry for no data will be lost if you migrate from one folder location to the other. The steps I have discussed in this guide are for Windows 10.
Change Google Drive Folder Location in Windows 10
Here are the steps that you have to follow.
- As I mentioned earlier, make sure that Google Drive’s Backup and Sync is running
- Click on the cloud icon at the bottom right corner in the system tray
- Then click on the vertical three-dot button
- From the menu select Preference
- On the left-hand panel, click on Settings
- Now click on the option Disconnect account and confirm by clicking Disconnect
- Click on the Backup and Sync icon from the system tray
- At this point, you have to sign in back with any Gmail account you have
- Authenticate your login identity via your smartphone
- Select which folders you want to backup
- There will be the option Folder location
- Click on Change to replace the default folder location C: drive with any other drive on your PC
- Now you can choose a new directory and create a new folder within it where all the backup and sync from now onwards will be stored
- As you may see from the screenshot that I have selected Drive D: and created a new folder within it for Backup and Sync
- Post the folder selection click on Start to begin the sync
Now, all the information will sync to the folder in the newly set folder location. Even you can manually copy some files and folders from the old directory to the new one.
So, that’s all about how to change the Google Drive folder location on Windows 10 computer.