ChatGPT has grown immensely in its presence and stance in the last few months. Recently, we even saw OpenAI introducing premium plans for using the services of ChatGPT later on. Considering the utility people have witnessed since this service’s inception, it was pretty inevitable.
Among new feature introductions, OpenAI recently introduced the history feature for ChatGPT users. This was a welcome change for many, as most of us use multiple devices, and the history feature takes care of it all. It also removes the burden of always keeping a ChatGPT tab open while working, as we did to save all our previous searches and findings on one page. However, recently many people have pointed out that when they try to access the history page, they get an error message on the screen that reads unable to load history. So here in this article, we will look into why this could be happening and how one can fix it.
How to Fix ChatGPT Not Loading Chat History or Previous Conversations?
This error primarily pops up when there is a network issue or ongoing site maintenance. Too many users logging in to ChatGPT can also cause the services to slow down significantly, eventually leading to the history page not loading correctly.
So let’s look at a few workarounds you can try from your end to resolve this problem.
Reload is the first thing we try when facing any issues with any site. ChatGPT’s history of not loading is no exception. Firstly, try to reload the page and check whether a page refresh is enough to load your history. If, even after pressing reload, you see the same error popping up again, try the next solution.
Log out and Log in:
The next thing you can try is creating a new session with OpenAI by logging out and logging in to your account again.
Press on the option to log out and wait till your browser shows up on the login page of ChatGPT again. Enter your credentials here, tap the single sign-in option below, and log in to your account again.
If you still have history errors even after this, try the next solution.
Check your network and connection:
If there is any inconsistency with your internet connection, that could cause problems as well. Maybe your ISP has some limitations or blocks in place regarding ChatGPT. Or perhaps your internet connection is just not strong enough.
Bring the router closer to the device where you are accessing ChatGPT. Using a laptop, you can even try connecting the router to your PC via a LAN cable. A wired connection is far more stable than a wireless one.
You should also contact your ISP and inform them about your problem. They should be able to provide resolutions to improve your connection speed.
Also, ensure that you do not have an antivirus or firewall application in the background of your PC’s services blocking access to certain services of ChatGPT. This is common with antivirus applications that aggressively block out network traffic from unknown or untrusted sources.
Once you have ensured your connection is stable, try reloading the page. If it still shows the error message, try the next solution.
Check if the site is under maintenance:
OpenAI often puts its services on maintenance to introduce new features or iron out the existing services’ bugs. These maintenances are carried out only to improve the user experience, and it is reasonably necessary to ensure the smooth functioning of ChatGPT.
However, when maintenance is in place, the site services will stop working temporarily. These services will resume once OpenAI completes the maintenance in progress.
So visit the home page of OpenAI and check for any messages or notifications for maintenance. If you see one, you must wait a few hours until the maintenance is done to access your search history.
But if you don’t see any such notification or message, move on to the next solution.
Update your browser:
If you are using a chrome browser, then,
- Open the browser and click on the three-dot icon on the top right corner of your screen.
- Now go to the help option and click on About Google Chrome.
- A page will open up and check for updates automatically. If an update is found, then the update will be installed automatically.
- After the update, close all the tabs and reopen the browser.
If you are accessing ChatGPT on a Firefox browser, then,
- Open the Firefox browser and click the three-dash (Open menu) button in the top right corner.
- Navigate to the help option and click on it.
- You will see a new list of options with About Firefox at the bottom.
- Click on About Firefox, and the update should start automatically.
- After the update, you should see an option that reads, Restart to update Firefox. Click on it, and the browser will restart with the new version.
Try the next solution if you still see the error message on ChatGPT.
Clear Browser Cache data:
Browser cache data for websites are cookies stored whenever a user accesses any website. This cache data is then used in the future when the user reaccesses the same site. The browser will load up the page faster by using the cache data.
However, the browser’s cache data or the site’s cookies data can sometimes be corrupted when stored, and this could lead to loading issues for the site, including the history page issue of ChatGPT.
You must clear your browser’s cache and ChaptGPT’s cookies to fix this.
In this guide, we will show you how you can do it on a Google Chrome browser.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Navigate to the OpenAI/ChatGPT site whose cache and cookie data you want to clear.
- Click on the small lock icon right next to the address bar.
- Click on “Site settings.”
- Now click on the “Clear data” button in the next window.
- Click on “Clear” again on the pop-up window that shows up asking for confirmation.
- Refresh the webpage.
Now some websites have subdomain websites. The above method will only clear out the cookie and cache data for the leading site you entered in the address bar. If you want to clear out the sub-domain websites, try the following steps.
- In the address bar of Google Chrome, enter “chrome://settings/content/all” without the quotes.
- Here you will see a list of all the sites whose cookies and cache data are stored on your system. Click on the website whose data you want to clear out.
- All the subdomain websites linked to that website will show up. Click on the subdomain website whose data you want to clear out.
- In the next window, click on the “clear data” button and then click on the “clear” button in the pop-up window that shows up asking for confirmation.
Now try reaccessing the history section of ChatGPT. If you still can’t open it, try the final solution mentioned below.
If none of the solutions mentioned above worked for you, you need to contact the customer support team of ChatGPT. You can mail them or register a query by going into the site’s help section.
They should be able to provide you with a resolution to your problem.
So these are all the solutions or workarounds to fix ChatGPT, not loading chat history or previous conversations. If you have any questions or queries about this guide, comment below, and we will reply. Don’t forget to let us know which fix did the trick for you. Also, check out our other articles on iPhone tips and tricks, Android tips and tricks, PC tips and tricks, and much more for more helpful information.