Windows Registry as we know is a database that stores information about all the applications installed on Windows OS and their usage. It records the settings regarding software and hardware that we install on our computer. Registry also logs down all the operations users carry out daily on their PC. However, when you remove any particular app or service from the PC, the registry entries may get corrupt. It may happen if some information regarding that app is not completed removed from the registry. This causes the PC to have Broken Registry Items.
When this occurs, your computer will face various issues such as slow down, app-crash, and often it will restart unexpectedly. It is an undesirable situation that no PC user wants to experience. So, in this guide, I have put up some easy methods to delete broken registry items on a Windows PC. Let’s get started with the tutorial.
Table of Contents
Delete Broken Registry Items on Windows OS
Here are the methods. You can use any one of these, whichever you find convenient.
Using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)
We have to use the command prompt to summon this repair service to fix the corrupt registry entries.
- On your Type here to Search, type cmd
- from the matching result, click Open below Command Prompt
- When the Command prompt opens up, type in the below command
- Wait for some time as this service will fix up and remove the broken registry items.
You should notice the difference and now there should be no hiccups in running your PC.
Disk Cleanup tool to the Rescue
Next, we can use the inbuilt tool Disk Cleanup to fix up the messed up registry items. Upon cleaning up, all the corrupted registry entries will clear out hence solving all the problems associated with it.
- In the Type here to Search box, type Disk Cleanup
- then click Open
- Select the drive on which Windows OS is installed. Normally, it is the C: drive for most users.
- Click on Clean Up System Files [You must have administrator access to do this]
- Next, click OK
Reset your PC to Delete Broken Registry items
Another simple workaround that you can follow to fix the broken registry items is by resetting your PC. This is how you have to do it.
- Go to Settings of your Windows PC [use the Type Here to Search box > type Settings]
- under that click on Update & Security
- From the left-hand panel select Recovery
- Now, click on Get started which you should see as the first option on the screen.
- Then you have to select whether you wish to keep your personal files but remove all app settings and related files or reset everything.
- Go for the first option so that you will not lose out on your personal files and other data.
- Wait for some time as this process will fix up the broken registry items on your PC.
So, these are the various methods to remove the broken registry items on your PC. Try any of the methods and that should work fine. I hope that this guide was useful to you.