In this guide, we will show you the steps to delete the broken registry items on your Windows 10 PC (2020 update). The registry entries on your PC stores some very vital information. These include data related to the system settings, configurations, path to various installed apps, DLL files information, and other related data. Most of them are stored in the form of keys and values. The OS usually refers to these registries to get a blueprint of their next course of action.
Furthermore, these data get updated from time to time. However, in some instances, the older registry data might stay intact and over the course of time might get corrupted. Hence they would not only end up consuming unnecessary space but will also slow down your system. The best bet in this regard is to delete these broken registry items on your Windows 10 PC. And in this guide, we will show you how to do just that.
How to Delete Broken Registry Items on Windows 10 (2020 Update)
To deal with this issue, there are three different methods that you could take the help of. The first one involves using the Windows Disk Cleanup Tool. Next up, you could also try running the DISM Command to rectify this issue. Finally, we will show you how to delete the broken registry items on Windows 10 by resetting the PC to its default settings. So without further ado, let’s get on with the guide.
Fix 1: Using Windows Disk Cleanup Tool
This maintenance utility tool developed by Microsoft has been a permanent residence in Window OS for a long time. For the unawares, it scans various drives on your PC and will then list out the total free space that you could generate by deleting the unnecessary files. As for this guide, we will instruct it to scan the C drive on your PC and get hold of the redundant files including the broken registry files as well.
- So head over to the Start menu and search for Disk Cleanup.
- Launch the tool and select the C drive from the drop-down menu.
- It will then begin the scanning process, which might take a couple of minutes.
- Once done, click on the Clean System File button situated at the bottom left.
- Again, select C Drive and wait for it to complete the scanning.
- Finally, hit OK and the tool will begin to delete the broken registry items on your Windows 10 PC.
- After the deletion is complete, restart your PC and that’s it. You have successfully completed the task.
Fix 2: Delete Broken Registry Items via DISM Command
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management or more popularly known as DISM is a command-line tool used to mount and service Windows images. One of the most important usages of this tool is to fix various issues related to your PC’s recovery image. It performs a deep scan on your PC for all the corrupted files and also checks the health of each image file. In this section, we will be using this tool to delete the broken registry items on Windows 10. Here’s how:
- Head over to the Start menu and search for Command Prompt.
- Then launch the tool as an adminstrator.
- Type in the below command and hit Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- The scanning process will now begin and might take a few minutes.
- Once done, the process stands complete and you may close the CMD window
Fix 3: Reset PC
If both the above methods didn’t manage to give out favorable results, then you should consider resetting your PC. At the same time, we will also be instructing Windows to keep all our personal files intact so that the format process doesn’t erase them. So with that said, here are the steps to delete the broken registry items on Windows 10 by resetting the PC:
- Launch the Windows Settings page via the Windows+I shortcut key combinations.
- Click on Update and Security and then select Recovery from the left menu bar.
- Then click on the Get Started button present under the Reset this PC section.
- Select “Keep My Files” from the next menu that appears.
- Now proceed with the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to delete the broken registry items on Windows 10. We have shared three different methods for the same, you could choose either of the three based on your preference. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks that you should check out as well.