Diablo IV is the new action role-playing game developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment and is the fourth main instalment in the Diablo series. After the release, many PC gamers report crashing issues on their computer. This tutorial will guide you to fix the crashing problem while launching Diablo 4 on your PC.
Why Does Diablo 4 Crashing?
Diablo 4 players often encounter the startup crashing or the game not launching issue on the PC. While some players are getting, the “Application Has Unexpectedly Stopped Working” error badly affects the gameplay experience. If you can take a quick look at the r/diablo4 subreddit forum, ask to verify the PC’s game files after throwing the particular error notice.
But affected players may not find out what’s going on. In that case, it’s better to take a quick look at the listed reasons below that can be useful before following the guide.
- Compatibility issues with the PC specification
- An outdated game version
- An outdated game launcher
- Outdated graphics drivers
- DirectX version issues
- Unnecessary background running tasks
- Antivirus or firewall software blocking
- Startup app issues
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables issues,
- Overclocked CPU/GPU
- Overlay apps issues
Now, if you’re also facing the same issue or just getting the crashing issue while launching the game on the PC, then don’t worry. Luckily, we’ve mentioned some possible workarounds that should help you out. The chances are high that incompatible Nvidia graphics settings, corrupted or missing game files, high shader quality, outdated graphics drivers, an outdated game patch version, and more can be one of the reasons behind it.
Fix: Diablo 4 Keeps Crashing on Startup on PC
Make sure to follow all the troubleshooting methods until the problem gets fixed. It’s recommended not to skip any method because even a basic workaround can fix the issue for you that might not come in handy to others. Now, without further ado, let’s jump into it.
1. Run Diablo 4 as an Administrator
First, you should run the game exe application file on your PC as an administrator to grant the user account control access. It’ll allow the system to run the program file properly, preventing crashes or launching issues. You can follow the steps below to do so:
- Right-click on the Diablo 4 exe file on your PC.
- Select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
- Now, run the game to launch it.
Please Note: If in case, you’re one of the Battle.net client users to run the Diablo 4 game, then make sure to follow the same steps for the specific game launcher too.
2. Update GPU Drivers
Checking for the graphics driver update on the PC is highly recommended by following the steps below. By doing so, you’ll be able to install the latest update which will fix several graphical issues with the program. To do so:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list to open it.
- Double-click on Display adapters to expand it.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that you’re using.
- Click on Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- The system will automatically check for the available update.
- An update will automatically download and install the latest version if available.
- Once done, ensure to restart your PC to apply the changes.
If there is no update available on the PC, then make sure to visit the official manufacturer website of the graphics card and manually grab the latest version. Search for the particular graphics card model by the following links.
3. Update Diablo 4
Checking for the game updates on your PC is highly suggested by following the steps below to ensure no outdated game version is present. Sometimes issues with the outdated game patch version might cause several conflicts at your end that can affect the game launching or gameplay experience badly. To do that:
- Open the Battle.net (Blizzard) launcher > Click on the Blizzard logo from the top left corner.
- Go to Settings > Click on Game Install/Update.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page > Click on Apply latest updates and download future patch data for recently played games. to enable it.
- Now, click on Done to save changes > Restart the Battle.net launcher to apply changes.
- It should automatically update the game to the available version.
4. Play Diablo 4 in Windowed Mode
The chances are high that somehow you’re playing your Diablo 4 game in the fullscreen window mode on the PC, which might consume higher system resources and may trigger graphical glitches in most cases. It’s better to play Diablo 4 in the windowed mode to avoid crashing issues. To do so:
- Launch the Diablo 4 game > Click on Options at the bottom of the screen.
- Switch to the Graphics tab > Search for the Display Mode option.
- Make sure to select Windowed from the list.
- Once done, save the changes, then restart the PC to apply changes.
5. Verify and Repair Game Files
If in case missing or corrupted game files on the PC may trouble players a lot. You can follow the steps below to verify and repair game files on the computer so the game can run properly.
- Open the Battle.net client on your PC.
- Click on the Diablo 4 game.
- Now, click on OPTIONS (Gear icon) > Click on Scan and Repair.
- Choose Begin Scan and wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, close the Battle.net launcher, and restart your PC.
6. Disable or Delete Overlay Apps
Blizzard games may crash or experience black screens due to certain overlay programs. Overlays are present in various programs and enable the display of information on top of another program. Many voice programs have this feature enabled by default, allowing players to see who is talking while playing games.
To fix this issue, update the programs with overlays to their latest versions. If updating the program doesn’t help, try disabling or uninstalling it. If this resolves the crashes, reach out to the support section of that program for further assistance.
Some examples of overlay programs that may cause issues are Airfoil, EVGA Precision, Mumble, Taksi, NZXT CAM, Dxtory, MSI Afterburner, RadeonPro, XFire, and Discord.
7. Closing Background Applications
If you’re experiencing issues with your games, third-party programs running in the background may interfere. Follow these steps to temporarily disable them and eliminate them as the source of the problem:
- Before trying the steps below, close any unnecessary programs and restart your computer.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
- Click on “More Details.”
- Select the “Startup” tab.
- Right-click on each item and select “Disable.”
- Restart your computer.
- If this resolves the issue, enable the startup applications one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem. You will need to restart your computer between each application you enable.
Note: To re-enable startup applications, follow steps 1-4 and select “Enable.”
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.