In this tutorial, we will show you how to disable Skype at startup on your Windows 10 PC. There are quite a few apps that automatically boots at the startup. While some are necessary for the proper functioning of your system, the same can’t be said for the other few. And Skype seems to fall in the latter category. If you have this video-calling app installed, then as soon as your PC starts, the app will automatically load all its services and programs. This unnecessarily takes up quite a lot of resources and hence could slow down your PC at startup.
And this seems to trouble quite a few users as they can’t seem to find a way to disable the app at startup. Even on the Microsoft Forum, more than 300 users seem to be facing the said issue. The best option that Microsoft could have done is to let users choose whether or not they wish to make this program launch during the boot. Fortunately, there exist a few methods through which you could achieve the said thing. And in this guide, we will be focusing on just that. So without further ado, here is the detailed guide to disable Skype at startup on your Windows 10 PC.
How to Disable Skype at Startup in Windows 10
This tutorial will outline five different methods for achieving the aforementioned task. The first two methods could directly be carried out from the Skype application itself. The third one makes use of the System Settings which is then followed by the Task Manager method. The fifth and final method focuses on the Registry Editor files. In most cases, you could get success just after the first method itself. If that doesn’t happen, then you should try out the other methods to disable Skype at startup on Windows 10. Follow along.
Method 1: Sign Out from Skype
This is the easiest off fixes that don’t require much effort. All ou have to do is just log out from your Skype account. The next time when your PC boots, Skype wouldn’t load up. Although it might sound a little bit strange, until it does its job effectively, there isn’t anything to complain about. On that note, here are the required steps to log out from Skype:
- Launch Skype on your PC.
- Then click on your profile situated at the top-left.
- From the menu that appears, click on Sign out.
That’s it. From next time, Skype wouldn’t start at boot up. However, if you aren’t able to achieve success, then try out our other four fixes given below.
Method 2: Disable Automatically Start Skype Toggle
You could also try disabling the Automatically start Skype toggle to rectify this issue. Do keep in mind that you are using the classic version of Skype, then that option might be named Start Skype when I start Windows. However, that’s the only difference, the steps are the same for both them, as mentioned below:
- Launch Skype on your PC.
- Click on the overflow icon (the three vertical dots) and select Settings.
- Then head over the General tab from the left menu bar.
- Finally, disable the Automatically start Skype (or Start Skype when I start Windows) option. It will then disable Skype at startup on your Windows 10 PC as well.
Method 3: Via Windows Startup Option
You could also make use of the Windows Startup option present inside the Windows 10 Settings page to achieve this task.
- Head over to the Windows Settings page. You may use the Windows+I shortcut key combinations for the same.
- Go to the Apps section and then select Startup from the left menu bar.
- Disable the toggle next to Skype and this in turn should disable Skype at startup on Windows 10 too.
Method 4: Using Task Manager
The task manager also holds a section that lists out all the apps that boots up when your PC starts. We could make use of this feature to disable Skype as follows:
- Use the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keyboard shortcut keys to launch Task Manager. You might also do the same by right-clicking on the Windows icon and selecting the said option.
- Then head over to the Startup tab and select Skype from the list.
- Finally, hit the Disable button and Skype would no longer boot itself during the Windows 10 startup.
Method 5: Disable Skype at Startup Via Registry Editor
If none of the options managed to give fruitful results, then you might have to take the Registry Editor route. In this section, we will be deleting a Skype startup file using the Editor. Follow the below steps very carefully:
- Use the Windows+R shortcut key combination to launch the Run dialog box.
- Type in regedit and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.
- Now copy-paste the below location in the Editor’s address bar:
- Search for the Skype registry file, right-click on it and select Delete. When that is done, restart your PC and the issue will now be resolved.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to disable Skype at startup on your Windows 10 PC. We have shared five different methods for the same, any one of which should give out the desired results. Do let us know in the comments which method managed to rectify the issue. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.