YouTube is the most popular video-sharing platform with millions of users. The video-sharing platform features all sorts of content ranging from gaming to news. YouTube has fairly strict guidelines to keep the content on its platform clean. However, there are thousands upon thousands of videos that are meant for adult viewers.
Thankfully, YouTube has implemented a feature called Restricted Mode. This feature is especially useful for parents who are concerned about the content their child consumes on YouTube. Moreover, it is also useful for those who simply do not wish to be exposed to content that might be disturbing. However, there can be times when the feature might be a tad annoying. In case you often stumble upon age-restricted content, the Restricted Mode feature will prevent you from viewing the media. So to help you better understand what the feature is about, we’ll be talking about what is YouTube’s Restricted Mode. Additionally, we will show you the steps to disable it on multiple platforms.
Table of Contents
What is YouTube Restricted Mode?
YouTube’s Restricted Mode is a feature that is used to filter out content that might be aimed towards a mature audience. It automatically scans for videos that might have inappropriate content and blocks you from engaging with the video or the comments in the video. Of course, the feature isn’t perfect and some videos slip through the system.
Nonetheless, there’s no denying that it does work most of the time. But for those who don’t mind stumbling upon or watching mature content on YouTube, the feature can be disabled. Moreover, it hardly takes a minute to turn off YouTube Restricted Mode. However, if you are on the other end of the spectrum, you can check out how to enable Restricted Mode.
Steps to disable YouTube Restricted Mode
These are the steps to disable the feature on multiple platforms. We will show you the steps for Android, iOS, Windows/Mac and Android TV.
People using Android smartphones can follow these steps to disable the Restricted Mode on YouTube.
- Launch the YouTube application on your Android device.
- Tap on your Profile icon which is located at the top right of the screen.
- Now, tap on the Settings option and select General.
- Scroll down the list and toggle off the switch beside the Restricted Mode label.
The process to disable YouTube Restricted Mode on iPhones or devices running on iOS is fairly similar to that of Android. However, there’s a minor difference.
- Launch the YouTube application on your iPhone or iOS device.
- Tap on your Profile icon located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select the Settings option and then tap on the toggle switch beside the Restricted Mode option to turn it off.
Turning off Restricted Mode on a Windows PC or Mac is fairly easy and only involves a few clicks. Follow the steps below to turn off the feature from your preferred web browser.
- Visit www.youtube.com and sign in with your Google Account.
- After signing in with your Google Account, click on your Profile icon which is located at the top right of the screen.
- From the pop-up menu, click on Restricted Mode and then click on the toggle switch to turn off Restricted Mode.
You can also disable the feature on your Android TV. The steps to do it are given below.
- Sign in to your Google Account on your Android TV.
- Launch the YouTube application from the app menu.
- Scroll down and then select Settings.
- Now select the option labeled as Restricted Mode or Safety Mode.
- Select Disable to turn off the feature.
Well, these are the steps to disable YouTube’s Restricted Mode on multiple platforms. It’s also worth noting that if you disable the feature on your phone, it will not automatically be disabled on any other device. Therefore, you manually have to turn on or off Restricted Mode on each device.
Another thing that you must know is that you will not be able to disable the Restricted Mode if you are on a company/organization account. The Restricted Mode settings can only be enabled or disabled via the administrative account. Hence, the steps to turn off the feature will only work for a personal account and not one that is managed by an organization. Additionally, parents who have enabled restricted mode on their child’s account via the Family Link app can also relax. The child cannot disable the feature via his/her account. Nonetheless, we hope you were able to turn off Restricted Mode for YouTube by following the steps in the guide.