After launching two of its flagship models such as Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL this month, now Google has released the Factory Images for both the devices as well. As we have now the factory images for both the devices, all the advanced or interested Pixel 4 and 4 XL users can root their devices easily via Magisk. If you’re also one of them who wants to unlock the Pixel 4/4XL device bootloader and install the root, check this guide. Here we have provided the Easy Method to root Pixel 4 and 4 XL using Magisk without TWRP Recovery.
If you’re an Android geek or know about its customizations, you have probably flashed any custom firmware or rooted your previous Android devices. Becoming a superuser of your Android device via rooting will give you the power to customize or tweak system files and apps easily. Those modifications or using the rooted apps aren’t possible without enabling root access on your device. Changing the system UI, icons, lock screen UI, status bar, notification panel will become easier after rooting.
Additionally, a rooted device user can achieve higher system performance, better battery life, tweak system root directory files, uninstall unnecessary preloaded apps (Bloatware), hibernate apps, and more. In this guide, we will use the Magisk by patching the boot image file and flashing it to the device boot partition.
However, there are a few disadvantages of rooting as well.
- Rooting your smartphone may void your device warranty.
- Additionally, rooting may block the software OTA updates which you receive from the manufacturer. Make sure to check with your device manufacturer at first.
Steps to Root Pixel 4 and 4 XL using Magisk without TWRP
Before proceeding to the rooting steps, make sure to follow all the requirements and download links below. All are mandatory in order to root your device easily and successfully.
- The factory images are for Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL devices only. Don’t use it on other device models.
- Device Bootloader should be unlocked. You can find the guide in the Factory Images link below.
- Make sure that your device is fully charged before starting the process.
- While taking the data backup is a good practice. We recommend you to backup your device data first.
- You will need a PC/Laptop along with a USB cable of your device to connect with the computer.
- Finally, you will have to download all the required files on your PC/Laptop from below.
- Get ADB and Fastboot files for your Windows/Mac PC or Laptop. (Required)
- Download and Install the latest Android USB Drivers on your computer.
- Pixel 4 and 4XL Factory Images (Stock ROM) – Download and copy it to the PC.
1. Steps to Extract and Patch Boot Image using Magisk
- First of all, download and extract the Stock ROM to your PC.
- Connect your device via USB cable to the computer and copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your device storage.
- Open Magisk Manager app and install Magisk.
- Select the INSTALL option and choose Install again.
- Tap on “Patch Boot Image File”.
- Navigate to internal storage and select your device boot image that you’ve moved earlier.
- Wait for a few seconds and the Magisk will start patching the boot image.
- Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
Now, you can follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.
2. Steps to Install the Patched Boot Image on Pixel 4 and 4XL
- After extracting the boot image, you must move the patched boot image to the same folder. Press and hold the SHIFT key + right mouse click to open the command window on your PC.
- Next, run the following command in the command prompt.
fastboot flash boot_<Letter> <patched_image_name>.img
- Make sure to replace [patched_image_name.img] with the name of the with the patched boot image you extracted followed by the .img extension, and [letter] means boot partition A or B.
- Now, the flashing process will start.
- Once done, run the following command to boot your device.
- You’re done. Now, check the root status and SafetyNet from below.
3. Steps to Verify the Systemless Root
- Download and install the Magisk Manager app (APK) file.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and you will see a list of options with Green Tick mark that means you’ve successfully rooted your device and bypassed Google’s SafetyNet feature.
That’s it. We hope this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully enabled root access on your Pixel 4/4XL devices via Magisk. For any queries, do let us know in the comments below.