Many a time while using a computer or laptop, we may come across various pop-ups stating errors or issues. It is quite obvious to get confused and tricked about what to do next and how to resolve this issue. A similar question which we will be going to discuss through this article today is “How to Fix Error applying transforms in Windows 10”? This error might show up in Windows 10 as well as other older versions of the operating system at times when you install, update or remove something from your Laptop or PC.
Today, in this article, we will discuss- What is Error applying transform in Windows 10? various Solutions about Error applying transforms, and the reasons for this error occurrence. So, if in case, you too are the one facing similar kind of issue then make sure to stick till the end of this article. Let’s start.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is ‘Error applying transform’ in Windows 10?
- 2 What are the reasons behind the ‘Error applying transform’ occurrence?
- 3 Methods to Fix “Error applying transforms” in Windows 10
What is ‘Error applying transform’ in Windows 10?
“Error applying transform” are errors that display on Windows 10. Whenever this error occurs, the user receives a pop-up notification stating ‘Error applying transform, verify that the specified transform paths are valid’. They might be temporary in some cases though still; one requires some solutions to fix it.
What are the reasons behind the ‘Error applying transform’ occurrence?
There a few reasons discovered why it might occur. They are as follow:
- Corrupt Windows installer
- The product key or subkey issues
- Broken software update
- Windows install and update service issues.
- App registry path issues
- Due to the reasons mentioned above the pop-up stating ‘Error applying transform’ might occur at times.
Methods to Fix “Error applying transforms” in Windows 10
You can fix and get rid of the issues by following the methods given below:
Method 1- Register the Windows installer
In case the problem gets displayed due to a corrupt Windows installer, the following way will help you with the fix.
- Firstly, press Windows + R altogether to open the Run dialogue box.
- Type ‘msiexec /unregister’ in the empty text box and click on ‘OK’.
- Now type ‘msiexec/regserver’ in the empty box and click on ‘OK’ again.
- The Windows installer must get registered now. Once done confirm whether it has fixed the issue or not.
Method 2- Delete product key and subkey from the registry
If you have Windows Login installed already, follow the steps given below to ensure, the product key and subkey are not present:
- Firstly, look for an entry titled ‘Duo authentication for Windows Login X64’ at the registry “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\[ProductID]“or “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\[ProductID] “.
- Now delete the product key and subkey.
- Lastly, again install the Duo for Windows Login.
By removing the product key and subkey, the error issue might have got resolved. Make sure you check it once.
Method 3- Edit the transforms registry path
The error we see usually occurs due to an invalid transform registry path for the software. Here you can edit the transforms path and fix the issue by using the following steps given below:
- Firstly, click Windows + R altogether to open the RUN dialogue box.
- In the empty text box, type ‘Regedit’. Then press return to open the ‘registry editor’.
- Now navigate to “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Installer\\Products”.
- Now right click products in the registry editor and click on the option ‘Find’. A search window will open thereby.
- Tick the check boxes after key, value, and data.
- Now in the empty type box fill the name of the software ‘Error applying transforms’ and click on the ‘Find Next’ button.
- Then double click on the transform option to open the Edit string Windows.
- Here, delete all the information mentioned in the ‘Value data box’ and then proceed by clicking on ‘OK’.
- Finally, close the registry Window.
Check whether the error issue gets resolved or not. If in case the “Error applying transform” still appears while uninstalling a program you must delete the “Transforms”. For doing so, right-click on transforms and press ‘Delete’.
Method 4- Uninstall the previous software version
You can uninstall the previous version of the software first to fix the error issue if the error alert pops-up while updating the software. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, go to ‘Start’ and click on ‘Settings’.
- From the settings menu, navigate to the ‘System’.
- On the left pane of your screen, find and select ‘Apps & Features’.
- Here in case, the list of uninstalled apps displays the troubleshoot program then click and open it.
- Now find and select the ‘Uninstall’ tab.
- Lastly, click and confirm the ‘Uninstall’ button again.
The error issue might get fixed now. Make sure to restart the PC before you install the software again.
Method 5- Run the “Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter.”
This is a troubleshooter for fixing the registry keys of updating data, and it might resolve the ‘error applying transforms’ too.
As the troubleshooter gets not included in Windows 10, you can download it HERE. Follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, download the ‘Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter’.
- Now click on the file ‘Microsoft Program_Install_and_Uninstall.meta’ to open the ‘Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter’ window.
- Click on the ‘Next’ tab to navigate through the troubleshooter.
Follow the instruction on your computer screen, and you get done.
Important Note: We recommend you to restart the Windows every time you perform a fixing method. This step will help in making the fix effective and show you the desired result.
So, this was all about the “Error applying transforms” meaning, causes, and solutions/fixes. We have here tried to provide you with few different methods that can effectively fix the error issues. You can use either of them to make your problem resolve quickly and easily. If in case one way does not work well for you, we recommend you to keep trying the other ones unless you reach the one effective in your case.
All in all, we hope you will find all the information mentioned in this “Error applying transform” article helpful. Each of the method discussed above is tried and tested and will guide you if you too are facing similar issues while operating your system. After reading this article it you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.