LG is one of the most popular and widely used smart TV brands across the globe for offering stunning LED and OLED smart televisions with premium features like Dolby Vision, AI-enhanced audio, cloud-based gaming, content streaming, and so on. LG smart TVs are also capable of delivering top-notch visual experience at a decent price segment. But some of the unfortunate users are facing the LG Smart TV Horizontal Lines on the Screen issue quite often.
LG normal as well as smart TVs are made of high-quality screen panel which is hard enough and doesn’t get damaged quite easily on daily usage for years. But sometimes the manufacturing fault in some specific units or models in some specific regions might affect the user experience as well as the LG fanbase up to some extent. Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter the horizontal lines of the LG TV screen, you can follow this guide to resolve it.
- Fix: LG Smart TV Horizontal Lines on Screen
Fix: LG Smart TV Horizontal Lines on Screen
Well, there are a couple of possible reasons applicable behind the horizontal lines issue on the screen of your LG smart TV which might trouble you too. To be precise, loose or damaged HDMI/Display port connectivity, issues with the faulty HDMI/Display cable, the poor signal quality of the TV channels, slow or unstable internet connection, the lower resolution of streaming content on a specific platform, an outdated firmware version, etc can be a reason.
Whereas issues with the temporary system glitch on the TV, display calibration issues on the TV, defective screen panel, physically damaged screen, and more might be other possible reasons behind the horizontal lines issue on the TV screen. Luckily, we’ve mentioned some potential workarounds for you that should come in handy. Make sure to follow all methods one by one to cross-check the issue. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Power Cycle the LG Smart TV
It would be best if you perform a power cycle method on your LG smart TV by following the steps below to ensure there is no issue with the temporary system glitch. It can fix the black screen or horizontal lines issue on the screen quite easily. To do so:
- Just switch off the TV > Unplug the power cable from the power source.
- Wait for around a minute and then reconnect the power cable.
- Next, boot the LG smart TV to fix the issue.
2. Check the Signal Quality
If you’re using a dish antenna to receive TV signals or using DTH service from a local service provider then the chances are high that you’re having a poor signal quality to fetch or connect platform services. This specific aspect can easily trigger the horizontal lines issue on the TV screen which might appear in any situation. You should try moving the dish antenna in a perfect direction by contacting the service provider to schedule a technician.
The technician will also check for incoming and outgoing signal transfers, internet speed on the TV, frequency settings on the TV, issues with the set-top box, and more.
3. Check Your Network Connection
Make sure you’re using a faster and more stable internet connection on your LG smart TV which is capable enough to stream online content in 720P/1080P resolution by default. If you’re using a 4K HDR TV and subscribed to 4K content for streaming then you’ll require a higher internet speed for better upload & download. A slow internet connection can trigger content streaming issues and buffers which might occur in horizontal lines on the screen in some cases.
If you’re using a Wi-Fi router then make sure to restart the router manually to clear out temporary networking glitches as well.
4. Run the Picture Test
Plenty of LG smart TV models do have the Picture Test mode under the Settings menu that you can use while in need. It basically diagnoses the picture quality and overall recognizable settings-related issues on the LG smart TV. Even if the picture quality seems good enough and you don’t mess with the picture settings, the chances are high that somehow the display calibration or default picture settings are corrupted. So, you can follow the steps below to run the Picture Test on your LG smart TV. If your LG smart TV doesn’t have this option, you can check for the standard display settings again.
- On your LG smart TV, go to Settings via the remote control.
- Now, select Picture > Choose Picture Test.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the TV to change the effects.
5. Properly Connect HDMI/Display Cables and Ports
The chances are high that somehow your HDMI cable or the display cable doesn’t fit perfectly to the respective port on the LG smart TV which basically increases the loose connectivity chances. Now, you should understand that if the display cable is loose in connectivity then either the display won’t appear on the TV screen or it goes through a couple of issues like no signal message, screen flickering, horizontal lines on the screen, and more.
6. Update the Firmware Version
In some cases, an outdated firmware version on your LG smart TV might trigger display-related glitches due to several bugs or stability issues. It’s better to check for the available firmware updates on your TV and install the latest version always. To do that:
- Go to the Settings menu via remote > Select the General menu.
- Scroll down and select About this TV.
- Check if the Allow automatic updates option is turned on or not. If not, make sure to enable it.
- Now, select Check for updates > If there is an update available, download & install it.
- Once done, reboot the TV to apply changes.
7. Try Changing the Display Settings
You should also try changing the display or picture settings on your LG smart TV from the default to custom or vice versa to cross-check if the horizontal line issue on the screen is still appearing or not. Give it a try. You can also try switching the TV inputs option to HDMI and AV ports to check for the same.
8. Factory Reset LG Smart TV
If the above methods didn’t help you out then make sure to perform the factory reset method on your LG smart TV by following the steps below. The factory reset method will basically restore the settings to the default factory mode which can resolve plenty of bugs or temporary issues quite easily.
- Go to the Home menu > select Settings via remote.
- Select the General menu > Choose Reset To Initial Settings.
- If prompted, confirm the task once again.
- Wait for the factory reset process to complete.
- Once done, your LG smart TV will boot into the system automatically.
- You’ll have to wait for the TV to load into the initial setup screen.
- It’ll reset your TV to its default factory settings.
- So, all the saved accounts or passwords will be gone like Gmail/Samsung accounts, Wi-Fi passwords, paired Bluetooth devices, etc.
- Finally, go through the initial setup screen, and configure the TV to start using it again.
9. Contact LG Support
Last but not the least, you should contact LG Support for further assistance on this issue. If your LG smart TV is under the manufacturer’s warranty or the retailer’s extended warranty then provide the purchase info and invoice details for the product & you’ll get repairs for free of cost. Do keep in mind that if the display panel or any other physical parts of the TV has been damaged by your side then you might have to pay the applicable charges.
Even if it’s a minor dispute from the hardware or software of the TV, you’ll get a satisfactory resolution from LG due to its better after-sales support. Otherwise, you can ask a TV technician in your locality to check out the specific issue which might take some extra hassle but charges will be quite affordable.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.