Note-taking involves the use of a pen on paper or a notebook. But with changing times, methods of note-taking are also changing. Now we can directly use our computers, tablets or any such electronic device to type anything that we want to note down and save it as a notebook in the cloud. OneNote is a program or application that lets you do that.
Users can create different notebooks and label them right from the OneNote application and save it all to the cloud in real-time. This gives the users the flexibility to create and work on any notes that they want. But recently, there have been several reports that the desktop version of the OneNote application shows up the “Invalid Notebook Name” error whenever users try to create a new notebook. There are several reasons why this could be happening, and in this article, we will take a look at them. So without any further ado, let’s get into it.
How to Fix OneNote “Invalid Notebook Name” Error?
As mentioned above, there are several reasons behind this error showing up, but the most common one is an outdated version of the OneNote application. Outdated programs are filled with bugs and if you encounter issues with a particular application, updating it to the latest version is the first thing you should consider. That is exactly the case with the OneNote application too. But if you already have the latest version of the application running on your desktop, then it could be an issue with the installation files too. Let’s take a look at all the possible solutions for the “Invalid Notebook Name” error, and if you are struggling with this error, then one of the solutions mentioned below will definitely help you out.
Update the application to the latest version:
The application usually updates itself to the latest version automatically. But if you have somewhat restricted apps from updating on their own, you will have to dive into the application settings and update the application manually.
- Open the OneNote Application and then click on File from the menu at the top.
- From the menu that pops out on the left, click on Account here.
- Once you are in the account menu, click on the drop-down menu next to the Office Updates section.
- Choose “Update Now” from the list of options that pop up.
- If the application detects a new version, follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest version successfully.
- Once you have the latest version, you need to restart your computer and try creating a new Notebook Name again.
If the error still shows up after updating the application, go for the next possible solution mentioned below.
Repair Office installation:
If updating the application did not do you any good, you need to consider repairing your application files. Due to some issues during the installation, some files may not have been installed properly. Or some files were missing from the application directory due to issues during the installation. In this scenario, you need to perform a repair.
There are two versions of this application: the classic desktop version, which is part of the Office suite, and the other is the newer standalone UWP version. Let’s see how you can repair the classic version first.
- Press Windows Key + R to open up the Run dialog box.
- Enter “appwiz.cpl” and click on Ok. This will bring up the Programs and Features window.
- In the Program and Features window, look for the application for Microsoft Office. When you find it, right-click on it and choose “Change” from the list of options that show up.
- Now you will see a pop-up with the option “Quick Repair.” Select Quick Repair and then click on the Repair button to confirm your action.
- Let the repair process complete, and then reboot your computer. If you still encounter the “Invalid Notebook Name” error with OneNote while creating a new Notebook, repeat the steps mentioned above, but this time instead of “Quick Repair”, choose the “Online Repair” option.
- Once you are done with the Online Repair, restart your computer.
If this does not solve your problem with the OneNote application, go for the next solution mentioned below.
Repair OneNote application installation:
Now let’s see how you can repair the newer standalone UWP version of OneNote.
- Press Windows Key + R to open up the Run dialog box.
- Enter “ms-settings:appsfeatures” and click on Ok. This will bring up the Apps & Features menu of the Settings app.
- In the right pane of the window, look for the application OneNote in the list of applications.
- Once you find it, click on it, and it will bring up the “Advanced Options” option in it.
- Click on Advanced Options and then go to the Reset tab. Here, click on the Repair button.
- Wait for the repair process to be complete, and then restart your computer.
Surely now you won’t see any error in the OneNote application while trying to create a new notebook. If, for some reason, none of the solutions mentioned above worked for you, then wait for a few days as the developers of the application will surely push out an update to address this error. Microsoft is constantly working to provide its users with the best possible experience with OneNote by fixing these bugs that show up every once in a while. Once a newer version of the application is out, install that version, and your problem should be resolved.
That is all about fixing OneNote “Invalid Notebook Name” Error. If you have any questions or queries about this article, then comment down below, and we will get back to you. Also, be sure to check out our other articles on iPhone tips and tricks, Android tips and tricks, PC tips and tricks, and much more for more useful information.