The newly released COD Modern Warfare 2 (2022) game is doing well for players just a month after its official beta release. The game is now available for Xbox, PC, PS4, and PS5. However, it seems that just like the previous COD titles, MWII also has plenty of issues, and Modern Warfare 2 stuck on the loading screen issue is one of them.
According to several reports by the affected MWII players, there are a couple of bugs or errors in this game. But somehow, the game loading screen gets stuck and doesn’t go further often on the PC, which seems frustrating. That means unfortunate players are getting prevented from logging into the game, which is ruining everything. Now, if you’re also facing the infinite loading screen, follow this troubleshooting guide.
Fix: COD Modern Warfare 2 Stuck on Loading Screen Issue
Well, apart from the stuck-on-the-loading screen issue, it looks like the COD MWII game is also going through FPS drops, stutters, crashes, graphical glitches, and more just like its previous generation of Call of Duty games. Sometimes issues with the game server connectivity, internet issues, corrupted or missing game files, issues with the antivirus software, outdated graphics drivers, background apps, an outdated game version, etc can trouble you a lot.
Luckily, we’ve shared all the possible workarounds for you that should come in handy. It’s highly recommended not to skip any method until the problem gets fixed. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Run MW2 as an Administrator
First of all, you should run the game exe application file on your PC as an administrator to grant the user account control access. It’ll allow the system to run the program file properly which can prevent the crashing or not launching issues. You can follow the steps below to do so:
- Right-click on the COD: Modern Warfare 2 exe file on your PC.
- Select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
- Now, run the game to launch it.
Please Note: If in case, you’re one of the Battle.net client or Steam client users to run the Call of Duty: MW2 game then make sure to follow the same steps for the specific game launcher too.
2. Update GPU Drivers
Checking for the graphics driver update on the PC is highly recommended by following the steps below. By doing so, you’ll be able to install the latest update, which will fix several graphical issues with the program. To do so:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list to open it.
- Double-click on Display adapters to expand it.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that you’re using.
- Click on Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- The system will automatically check for the available update.
- An update will automatically download and install the latest version if available.
- Once done, ensure to restart your PC to apply the changes.
If there is no update available on the PC, then visit the official manufacturer website of the graphics card and manually grab the latest version. Search for the particular graphics card model by the following links.
Fix: Modern Warfare 2 is Stuck on Checking for Updates on PC, Xbox, PS4, and PS5
How to Fix Modern Warfare 2 Blurry Graphics Issue
Fix: Modern Warfare 2 Lost Connection to Host / Server: Connection Timed Out
Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2 Players Disappear Through Walls
Fix: Modern Warfare 2 / Warzone 2 Not Showing on Battle Net
Fix: Modern Warfare 2 Double Kills Not Counting Issue
Fix: MW2 Clark Monterey Error Code
3. Update Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
It’s highly suggested to check for the game updates on your PC by following the steps below to ensure no outdated game version is present. Sometimes issues with the outdated game patch version might cause several conflicts at your end that can affect the game launching or gameplay experience badly. To do that:
- Open the Battle.net (Blizzard) launcher > Click on the Blizzard logo from the top left corner.
- Go to Settings > Click on Game Install/Update.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page > Click on Apply latest updates and download future patch data for recently played games. to enable it.
- Now, click Done to save changes > Restart the Battle.net launcher to apply changes.
- It should automatically update the game to the available version.
- Open Steam and go to Library.
- Click on COD: Modern Warfare 2 from the left pane.
- Steam will automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, click on Update.
- Make sure to wait for some time until the update completes.
- Once done, ensure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
4. Check for Server Status
Make sure to check for the server status of the Modern Warfare 2 game by visiting the official Activision Online Services page. Sometimes issues with the game server like downtime or outage or even the maintenance process may cause the game crashes or get stuck on the loading screen issues. At the time of writing this article, we can see that there is an issue with the game server, and many players are affected by this.
If you’re also facing the same issue, then make sure to wait for some time until the problem gets fixed completely.
5. Check the Internet Connection
The chances are high that your internet connection is not running well enough regarding stability or data speed. It’s better to properly check for the internet network at your end before going to other conclusions. You should ensure to switch to the wireless from a wired connection or vice versa. You can also try cross-checking the issue using another network or the mobile data hotspot.
6. Verify and Repair Game Files
If in case, missing or corrupted game files on the PC may trouble players a lot. You can follow the steps below to verify and repair game files on the computer so the game can run properly.
- Open the Battle.net client on your PC.
- Click on the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II game.
- Now, click on OPTIONS (Gear icon) > Click on Scan and Repair.
- Choose Begin Scan and wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, close the Battle.net launcher, and restart your PC.
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on COD: Modern Warfare 2 from the list.
- Click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- This process may take some time to get completed. So, have some patience.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
7. Update Windows
Updating Windows OS build is always essential for PC users and gamers to reduce system glitches, compatibility issues, and crashes. Meanwhile, the latest version mostly includes additional features, improvements, security patches, and more. To do that:
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is an update available, select Download and install.
- It may take a while to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to install the update.
8. Close Background Tasks
Unnecessary background running tasks or programs can eat up a lot of system resources like CPU or Memory usage that literally reduces system performance. Hence, the startup crashing, lagging, and not loading issues appear quite often. Simply, close all the unnecessary background running tasks completely. To do this:
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Processes tab.
- Click to select the task individually that you want to close. [Running in the background and consuming enough system resources]
- Click on End Task to close it one by one.
- Once done, restart your system.
9. Perform a Clean Boot
Some of the programs or services may run in the background whenever you boot up the Windows system without your intent. Those apps or services will definitely gonna use a lot of internet connection as well as system resources. If you’re also feeling the same, make sure to perform a clean boot on your computer to check for the issue. To do that:
- Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, go to the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- The Task Manager interface will open. Here go to the Startup tab.
- Then click on the particular task which has a higher startup impact.
- Once selected, click on Disable to turn them off from the startup process.
- Do the same steps for each program that has a higher startup impact.
- Once done, make sure to restart your computer to apply changes.
10. Power Cycle your Router
If none of the methods worked for you, then perform a power cycle method by following the steps below. It’ll allow the Wi-Fi router to clear out temporary networking glitches without any issues. To do so:
- You’ll need to Power Off the Wi-Fi router > Wait for the LED indicators to turn off.
- Now, make sure to unplug the power cable from the router and the power source.
- Then wait for around 30 seconds > Plug back the power cable into the router and power source.
- Finally, Power On the router and then check for the issue.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.
I followed the given steps and It didn’t resolve my problem. My game launches fine but then when it comes to the Call of Duty HQ and asks to select a game when I try to click the game it glitches and does nothing. I have reinstalled the game 5 times, please help.
Thank God, you saved my butt!
I’ve had this issue from the start. I ran it as an administrator and verified game files and nothing happens. Then I force stop it and load again til it loads. That’s how I actually finished the game.
Still to this day this thing isn’t fixed and nothing works. Now even after several force stops the game is still stuck on the loading screen.
And Ive never seen them address this issue.