Starfield is the newly released title that Bethesda Game Studios has released. This action role-playing video game is all set to the space-universe and the players are loving it quite well. However, just like other titles, Starfield also has some bugs and errors that we can’t deny. Recently, several players have started getting the Starfield Black Screen issue on PC, Xbox Series X, and Series S while launching the game. Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter such an issue then don’t worry.
As Starfield promises a journey to space, it delivers stunning visuals on both Windows PC and Xbox Series X|S devices. However, somehow the black screen issue bothers a lot and players are getting frustrated a lot. We should mention that Starfield is a new game in the market and developers will take some time to make it more stable with upcoming patch updates. So, until the problem has been acknowledged by the developers, you may have to wait. But you can try several workarounds in the meantime.
- How to Fix Starfield Black Screen on PC
- 1. Restart the PC
- 2. Run Steam as an Administrator
- 3. Update Starfield
- 4. Verify and Repair the Game Files
- 5. Update the Graphics Driver
- 6. Set the Dedicated Graphics Card
- 7. Disable Full-Screen Optimizations
- 8. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
- 9. Whitelist Starfield to the Firewall
- 10. Install the Latest Windows Media Pack
- 11. Update Windows
- 12. Change Starfield Graphics Settings
- 13. Run the Game in the Compatibility Mode
- 14. Reinstall Starfield
- How to Fix Starfield Black Screen on Xbox Series X and S
How to Fix Starfield Black Screen on PC
Fortunately, here we’ve shared with you a couple of troubleshooting methods for the Windows PC that should come in handy. Make sure to follow all workarounds until the problem has been fixed. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Restart the PC
You should try restarting the PC to refresh the potential glitch or cache data issue that should come in handy. Sometimes temporary system glitches can be easily removed by simply restarting the computer.
2. Run Steam as an Administrator
The second thing you can do is run the Steam client as an administrator on your PC to allow the User Account Control (UAC) access to the system. In some cases, your system requires the UAC access permission to run a program which is quite important. By following the steps below you’ll have to allow the admin access for once and it won’t ask you for the same again. To do so:
- Right-click on the Steam application on your PC.
- Click on Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to enable it.
- Once done, click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
3. Update Starfield
We should also recommend you check for the game update manually at your end via the Steam client to ensure there is no outdated game version conflicting with the game launching or graphical glitches. An outdated game patch version can trigger several potential issues that might trigger black screen issues. To do this:
- Open Steam > Go to Library.
- Click on Starfield from the left pane.
- Steam will automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, click on the Update button.
- Now, wait for the update to complete.
- Once done, restart the PC to apply the changes.
Note: If the update isn’t available that means your game is already running the latest version.
4. Verify and Repair the Game Files
Conflicts with corrupted or missing game files on the PC might cause game-launching or black screen issues quite often. If you’re also feeling the same then make sure to follow the steps below to verify and repair the game files.
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Starfield from the list.
- Click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- This process may take some time to complete. Just wait for it.
- Once done, reboot the PC to apply changes.
5. Update the Graphics Driver
Make sure to check for the graphics driver update on your PC by following the steps below. An outdated or missing graphics driver might come in handy to fix several graphical glitches whatsoever.
- Press the Win+X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Double-click on Display Adapters to expand it.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card name that’s active.
- Now, click on Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- The system will automatically check for the available updates.
- An update will automatically download and install the latest version if available.
- Once done, you should restart your PC to apply the changes.
If you can’t find any pending updates, head over to the official website of the respective graphics card brand below and search manually for the latest update. Do remember that you’ll always have to search for the latest driver version and specific for the model you’re using. If a new version is available for the graphics card, download the driver and install it on your PC. You can jump to the link below to do so:
6. Set the Dedicated Graphics Card
In case, you use an external graphics card on your PC but the game is still having the black screen issue or any other graphical glitches then follow the steps below to check if the system is using the dedicated graphics card or not. If not selected, this method will do the same.
- Right-click on the Desktop screen > Click on NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Click on 3D Settings > Select Manage 3D Settings in the left pane.
- Select the Program Settings tab > Choose Starfield from the drop-down list.
- Now, select a High-performance NVIDIA processor.
- Save the changes and reboot the PC to apply changes.
Switchable Graphics offers several standard operating modes and can be configured to run a specific application using the desired GPU.
- Right-click on the Desktop screen > Select AMD Radeon Settings from the context menu.
- Now, click on System > Select Switchable Graphics.
- Save changes and reboot the PC to apply changes.
7. Disable Full-Screen Optimizations
You should also disable the full-screen optimizations on the PC for the specific video game file to check if the issue has been fixed or not.
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Right-click on the Starfield game from the left pane.
- Go to Manage > Click on Browse local files.
- Now, the game installation directory will open.
- Just right-click on the Starfield.exe application.
- Select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Click on Disable fullscreen optimizations to select it.
- Once done, click on Apply, and then hit OK to save changes.
8. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
Make sure to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime on your computer to fix multiple gaming issues or errors completely. To do that:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard to open up the Start Menu.
- Type Apps & Features and click on it from the search result.
- Now, locate the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) in the list.
- Select each program and click on Uninstall.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Once done, install it on your computer, and restart the system to change the effects.
9. Whitelist Starfield to the Firewall
Well, you can try whitelisting the Starfield program in the Windows Firewall protection by following the steps below to avoid game-launching issues in most scenarios.
- Open the Start menu > Search for Control Panel and open it.
- Go to Systems and Security > Open Windows Firewall.
- Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Now, click on Change settings > Select Allow another app.
- Select Browse > Click to select Starfield.
- Click on Add and make sure to save changes.
10. Install the Latest Windows Media Pack
The Media Feature Pack for N versions of Windows 10 will install Media Player and related technologies on a computer running Windows 10 N editions. However, due to some third-party application installations, it might be possible that somehow Windows Media Pack gets removed or corrupted. So, it’s better to install the latest Windows Media Pack once again to check if the problem still persists or not.
11. Update Windows
An outdated Windows build or the version can eventually cause plenty of issues with the game launching. It’s recommended to check for the software update and install the same by following the steps below.
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Windows Update from the left pane > Click on Check for updates.
- If there is an update available, you can click on Download and Install.
- Make sure to wait for the update process to be completed.
- Once done, reboot your PC to apply changes.
12. Change Starfield Graphics Settings
You can also try adjusting some of the Starfield graphics settings manually from the in-game menu depending on which PC specification you’re using. It’s simply recommended to change the graphics settings from high to medium or low to ensure the hardware and software can run the game smoothly. We’ve already covered a full-depth guide on Starfield’s best visual settings for higher FPS.
13. Run the Game in the Compatibility Mode
Another thing you can do is to run the Starfield game in compatibility mode on the PC by following the steps to ensure your system becomes capable of running the game in the previous Windows OS interface. It becomes useful if you’re using Windows 10 or 11.
- Right-click on the Starfield.exe application.
- Click on Properties > Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Click on Run this program in Compatibility mode for to select it.
- Select Windows 7/8 from the list.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
14. Reinstall Starfield
If the above methods didn’t work for you then try uninstalling and reinstalling the Starfield game on your PC to check if the black screen issue has been fixed or not.
- Launch the Steam client on your PC.
- Now, go to Library > Right-click on Starfield.
- Select Manage > Click on Uninstall.
- If prompted, click on Uninstall again to proceed.
- Just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once done, simply restart the PC to apply changes.
- Finally, launch Steam, and reinstall Starfield on a different disk drive using the same Steam account.
How to Fix Starfield Black Screen on Xbox Series X and S
If you’re using the Xbox Series X|S console and having issues with the black screen while launching Starfield then check out the following methods to try fixing it.
1. Check System Updates
It’s recommended to check for system updates on the Xbox Series X|S console before getting into any other workarounds. Sometimes an outdated system build can cause several issues.
- Press the Home button on the Xbox console to open the Dashboard menu.
- Now, select Settings from the bottom of the menu > Select All Settings.
- Choose System > Select Updates.
- Select Update Console (if available) > Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update process.
- Once done, make sure to restart the console to apply changes.
2. Check for Game Updates
An outdated game version can cause several compatibility issues rather than bugs. So, it’s always better to keep your game version up-to-date. To do so:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller.
- Next, choose My Games & Apps > Select See All.
- Select Manage and then Updates.
- If there is an update available, your console will automatically start downloading & installing the new patch.
3. Power Cycle your Xbox Console
Performing a power cycle method on your Xbox console is worth mentioning to ensure there is no issue with the device firmware or glitch. A normal reboot might not work in most cases and requires a power cycle process to clear out temporary glitches or cache data issues. To do this:
- Power Off the Xbox console > Unplug the power cable from the console and power source.
- Now, wait for around 30 seconds, and then plug back the power cable in.
- Make sure to turn on the Xbox console and check whether the screen freezing issue has been fixed or not.
4. Reinstall the Game
Otherwise, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the game manually on your Xbox Series X|S console to check if the black screen issue bothers you or not.
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu.
- Select My Games & Apps > Hit See All > Choose Games.
- Then select the Ready to Install tab > Select Queue.
- Select the Starfield game that you’re trying to reinstall.
- Now, press the Menu button on your controller.
- Select Manage Game & add-ons or Manage App.
- Choose Starfield > Select Uninstall All.
- Make sure to select Uninstall All to confirm the task.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to complete.
- Reboot the system to apply changes.
- Then press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu again.
- Hit My Games & Apps > Select See All > Go to Games.
- Select the Ready to Install tab > Hit Install for Starfield.
- Wait for the installation process and then restart the console.
5. Reset the Console
If the above methods didn’t work for you then make sure to follow the steps below to reset the console manually.
- Press the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide menu.
- Select Profile & System > Go to Settings > Select System.
- Go to Console info > Select Reset console.
- You’ll get a prompt like Reset your console.
- Here you should select Reset and remove everything. [This will delete all user data, including accounts, saved games, settings, all installed apps & games, etc]
- Although you can choose to Reset and keep your games & apps, it may not resolve the issue in most cases.
- After you select the option, your Xbox console starts deleting and resetting the system to the factory default settings.
- Wait for the process to get completed, then reboot the console.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For additional queries, you can comment below.