Xiaomi is a brand that always has been in the market with some awesome specifications. This time the brand came with the Redmi Note 9 series. For the time the brand has only unveiled the Redmi Note 9 Pro and Redmi Note 9 Pro Max. These devices haven’t much difference except for the primary camera sensor and the huge charging speed difference.
TWRP recovery is probably the most used and most popular custom recovery that we all know. For those who are quite accustomed to rooting and flashing custom ROM, etc. then, they know what TWRP Recovery is. However, for naive, the TWRP Recovery allows users to install custom ROMs/mods, take a complete backup of their phone, gain root access on your phone using Magisk Manager.
However, you are required to have TWRP access before you can go ahead and root your Redmi Note 9 Pro (codenamed curtana). And for flashing the TWRP recovery image, you need to follow the guide properly to avoid errors. And if you happen to own a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro and are looking for ways to download and install the TWRP Recovery on your phone then, you are at the right place as in this post, and we will guide you on how to download and install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro and eventually root using Magisk. So, that being said, let us get straight into the article itself:
- Redmi Note 9 Pro Specifications and Features
- What is TWRP Recovery?
- Advantages of TWRP Recovery
- Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro (curtana)
- Instructions to Install TWRP
- Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Using Magisk
Redmi Note 9 Pro Specifications and Features
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro sports a 6.67 inch IPS LCD display with a Full HD+ resolution. It has a screen-to-body ratio of 84.5 percent, it can blow up to 450 nits, an aspect ratio of 20:9, a pixel density of 395 Pixel Per Inch ( PPI ). It is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5 to the front and rear of the device. Further, it also has splash resistance and a plastic frame.
Underneath the new Note 9 Pro, it sports the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G with 4GB and 6GB of RAM variants. It is also available in 64GB and 128GB of UFS 2.1 internal storage. Talking about optics, the Redmi Note 9 Pro has a quad rear camera set up with a primary 48MP sensor, 8MP secondary ultra-wide-angle sensor, 5MP tertiary macro sensor, and finally another 2MP depth sensor. To the front, it has a 16MP unit with an f/2.0 aperture value. This front camera sits inside the punch hole which the brand calls as the DotDisplay.
This new device from Xiaomi comes with a 5020 mAh battery and this charges over the USB type c port. This massive battery also supports 18W fast charging tech i.e. the QC 3.0 tech. The device is running on MiUi 11 which is based on the latest Android 10. It has a physical fingerprint scanner to the side and also has support for face unlock. Redmi still retains the headphone jack in this device and comes with a single speaker setup. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot. Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE. GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, NavIC, infrared port, FM radio. USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector. Other sensors include an accelerometer, gyro, proximity, and compass.
What is TWRP Recovery?
Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP Recovery is a useful and popular custom recovery, which is open-source software. The touch-screen-enabled interface allows users to flash third-party firmware and back up the system or data easily like never before. For Android customization lovers or developers, a custom recovery is a much-needed tool or software.
Additionally, you can install the kernel, modules, root or unroot, take Nandroid backups, etc. Meanwhile, you can wipe system partitions, internal storage, data, cache, vendor, etc. very easily.
Advantages of TWRP Recovery
- Backups of partitions in TAR or raw Image format
- Restore backups from internal storage, external SD storage or OTG devices
- Install Custom Firmware
- Install flashable ZIPs and image files
- Partition wiping
- Delete System, Cache, Vendor, Partition, User Data, etc
- Install Root or Unroot by flashing ZIPs
- Terminal access
- ADB Root Shell
- Theme Support
- Possible decryption support depending on the device
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro (curtana)
Now before we go ahead and install TWRP Recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro, let us make a list of pre-requisites that are required to unlock it:
Charge your phone
You need to make sure that your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro is charged to about 60% before installing TWRP recovery to avoid any boot loop issues during the unlocking process.
Take a complete backup
Before rooting, one of the most important things that you need to do on your phone is to take a complete backup of your phone. For that, you can follow the guide by clicking the link below:
Activate Developer Options
To Enable the Developer Option on your device, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Settings menu of your Android device.
- Then scroll down and go to About.
- Now you need to head to Software Information>> More.
- Here tap on the Build Number 7-8 times until you see a message “You are now a developer”.
You also need to enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock option under the Developer Options menu. And to do that:
- Head over to Developer Options and toggle ON the USB Debugging option as well as the OEM unlock option.
Install ADB and Fastboot tools
You need to install the latest ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC. For that, you can follow the link mentioned below:
Unlock the bootloader
In order to install the TWRP Recovery, you have to first unlock the bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro.
Download Xiaomi USB Drivers
You can follow the link below in order to download the correct Xiaomi USB drivers for your phone.Download Android USB Drivers for Windows and Mac
Download TWRP Recovery
Here you will find the latest and TWRP recovery for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.Redmi Note 9 Pro TWRP Recovery
Instructions to Install TWRP
Follow the step by step instructions mentioned below to simply install the TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro:
- Firstly, download the TWRP recovery from the above download section.
- Extract the contents of the zip file into a folder.
- Download ADB and Fastboot tools zip files and extract the components of it as well.
- Copy and paste all the files extracted from the TWRP Recovery zip files into the same folders where you have extracted the contents of the ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Connect your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro to the PC using a USB cable.
- By pressing the Shift button on your keyboard, open a Powershell or command prompt.
- Enter the below command in the Powershell or command prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now once the phone has booted up in the Fastboot mode, execute the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Now enter the below command:
- That’s it!
Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Using Magisk
- Now you need to install the Magisk Manager APK on your phone.
- Place it in the internal memory on your device.
- Then head over to recovery by pressing the Volume up + Power button together.
- Make sure you have created a backup of your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- In TWRP, select Install and locate Magisk.zip and select the file.
- Swipe to Install and flash it.
- Restart your device.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. I hope you guys liked this post and were able to install the TWRP Recovery and root your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro smartphone. Let us know in the comments below if you faced any issues while installing the TWRP recovery on your phone and then rooting it using Magisk. Until the next post…Cheers!