Moto X4 is the latest 4th Generation X Series smartphone by Motorola Company. This is an affordable rock solid dual camera and Water resistant smartphone. Today we will guide you on How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto X4 (payton). So before installing TWRP, Moto X4 should be unlocked. So here is the full guide to Unlock Bootloader on Moto X4 (payton) Smartphone.
Talking about Specification, Moto X4 features a 5.2-inch display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels. It is powered by 2.2 GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 processor clubbed with 3GB RAM and 32 GB On-board storage. It can be expanded via microSD card for extra storage with up to 256GB. The handset runs on Android 7.1.1 Nougat. The camera on the Moto X4 sports a Dual 12 MP Camera at the rear and 16 MP front camera for selfies.
If you unlock the boot loader, you may void the warranty of your device and/or any warrantyfrom your operator.
By Unlocking Bootloader you can install TWRP, Flash Rooting Zip file or custom ROM on your phone. Read more What is unlocking below. Follow this guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto X4. Try this only on Moto X4 smartphone. This method to unlock bootloader on Moto X4 is simple to follow. But please do read the steps below carefully.
What is Unlock Bootloader ?
A Bootloader is a code which runs when we turn on our device. This code initializes some hardware and then loads the kernel and ramdisk, and gets the boot process going. So this process is known as Bootloader. The same concept applies to all the technical stuff such as Laptop, PC, Smartphones and any such device. Every Android OEM manufacturers lock the bootloader even though it is an Open Source. So if you want to try any CUSTOM ROM, it is impossible to load the CUSTOM ROM without the Unlock Bootloader. So Manufacturer made a policy of making the smartphone with Unlocked Bootloader will void the warranty. They want you to stick with the Stock ROM. Unlock Bootloader allows you to Root your android smartphone, Flash TWRP and Custom ROM in a simple easy method.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto X4 (payton)
Now you can unlock bootloader easily by following this simple guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto X4. Official Bootloader Unlock for Moto X4 will also void the device warranty. So if you planning to unlock bootloader on Moto X4, then it’s always better to wait until your warranty gets over. In case if you have unlocked bootloader, then you can always relock the bootloader on your device anytime.
- Charge your phone up to 80% or 70%
- Go to Motorola website and Sign up/Register. (You can log in if you already have a Username and Password)
- You will lose warranty if you unlock the bootloader, So prepare for it.
- Unlock Bootloader may wipe all your data, So make sure to Backup your Smartphone.
- Make sure you have followed the steps properly. Don’t Skip and Read! – We are not responsible for any damage that you make to your phone.
What Do You Need ?
- Download Minimal ADB Tool – CLICK HERE or Download the Full ADB setup for Windows / Mac here
- How to Get Bootloader Key for Motorola Moto X4 Device? : Find in step 14 on How to Get Bootloader Key for Motorola Moto X4 Device
STEPS TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON Moto X4
- First of all, Activate the Developer Option.
- Go back to settings -> Now you need to enable the OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
- Download and Extract the Downloaded ADB fastboot Zip file on your PC
- Now connect your phone to Computer using USB Cable.
- When you connect your Phone to Computer, please wait until all the drivers get installed.
- In your ADB fastboot folder open a command prompt window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click
- Now type the command in your command window
- If you see a pop up to allow USB Debugging on your phone, Click OK
- Now type the command below to reboot your phone to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone reboot into bootloader, make sure your phone shows the bootloader locked and then type the command below to make sure fastboot drivers are installed properly.
- This command will list the connected devices. If your phone’s serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.
- If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to boot into bootloader by tapping down the volume down button on your phone and select the BOOT TO DOWNLOAD MODE option with power key. Now you can unlock the bootloader with the following command: Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Now command will return a string which you need to copy the string to a notepad with a single line by deleting all space
(Note: Only copy the highlighted sections above. Do not copy the INFO or (bootloader) prefix)
- To Get Bootloader Key for Moto X4 – Open the website Motorola’s unlock the bootloader site by Signing up or Log in in via Google Plus account
- Now paste the string from Notepad to the box shown on the website (Check Screenshot below)
- Once you click the “Can my Device be unlocked?” you will receive a mail with unlock key.
- Now copy the unlock key and type the following command and enter.
fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK_KEY
Here UNLOCK_Key is the place where you have to paste the unlock key which you copied from the email.
- That’s it ! Your device will be unlocked. hah! Have fun!
If you have any queries or doubts related to unlocking the bootloader on Moto X4, Please leave a comment below. Thank you