Updated on February 29, 2020: Google launched the latest smartphone known as Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. The smartphone comes with a better camera and a missing headphone jack which will compete against iPhone X, Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and LG V30. In this guide, we will walk through to teach you on How to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL.
Like we said earlier, Unlocking the bootloader on any smartphone will give you the power to enjoy Custom ROM, Flash zips, root or mod your smartphone anyway you like. This means you can completely have the power in your hand. I like to mod my phone, So the first thing I do when I get a new phone; unlock the bootloader. One of the most tempting features in Android Phone is customization options. By Unlocking Bootloader, we can easily delete or uninstall the bloatware which affects the performance.
Now you can unlock bootloader easily by following this simple guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. Official Bootloader Unlock for Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will also void the device warranty. So if you planning to unlock bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, then it’s always better to wait until your warranty gets over. In case if you have unlocked the bootloader, then you can always re-lock the bootloader on your device anytime.
Unlocking Bootloader on any Google smartphones has always been pretty easy as Google always supports unofficial development. So if you plan on rooting and modding your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, you might want to get the bootloader to unlock process out of the way right now, then this is the right place to learn on how to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. It’s fairly simple, but even still, I’ll go over the process in great detail to make it as easy as possible to follow along with, and ensure that all of your bases are covered.
What is Unlock Bootloader?
A Bootloader is a code that runs when we turn on your device. This code initializes some hardware and then loads the kernel and ramdisk, and gets the boot process going. So this process is known as Bootloader. The same concept applies to all the technical stuff such as laptops, PC, Smartphones and any such device. Every Android OEM manufacturers lock the bootloader even though it is an Open Source. So if you want to try any CUSTOM ROM, it is impossible to load the CUSTOM ROM without the Unlock Bootloader. So Manufacturer made a policy of making the smartphone with Unlocked Bootloader will void the warranty. They want you to stick with the Stock ROM. Unlock Bootloader allows you to Root your android smartphone, Flash TWRP and Custom ROM in a simple easy method.
Before doing the methods, I just want to warn you that. By doing this, you will loose the warranty and sometime if you dont read the steps and do something wrong can brick your device. So read carefully before doing something wrong.
- This will work only on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL users.
- You need a Laptop or PC.
- Working USB Cable.
- Charge your phone to at least 70% battery.
- Make sure that you have the latest USB drivers installed.
- Download the ADB Fastboot tools. Watch Video on How to Install ADB Fastboot on your PC.
- Take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
- First of all, enable the Developer Option
- To Enable the Developer Option, Go to your Settings -> About -> Software Information -> More -> Now Tap on the Build Number 7-8 Times until you see a toast message “Developer option enabled”
- Go back to settings -> Now you need to enable the OEM Unlock by going to Settings -> Developer Option and Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
- Download and Extract the Downloaded ADB fastboot Zip file on your PC.
- Now connect your phone to the Computer using USB Cable.
- When you connect your Phone to Computer, please wait until all the drivers get installed.
- In your ADB fastboot folder open a command prompt window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click
- Now type the command in your command window
- If you see a pop up to allow USB Debugging on your phone, Click Allow
- Now type the command below to reboot your phone to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone reboots into bootloader, make sure your phone shows the bootloader locked and then type the command below to make sure fastboot drivers are installed properly.
- This command will list the connected devices. If your phone’s serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue, you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.
- If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlock the bootloader with the following command:
Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
fastboot oem unlock
- After the above command has finished executing, run the following
- The phone will reboot. Wait until the phone has fully booted up into Android, and enjoy!
I hope this guide was useful to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. In case if you have any queries or feedback, please leave a comment down below.