Poco F1 or the Pocophone F1 that came out around one and a half years ago that launched as a flagship is still regarded as one of the best mid-rangers that users can bank their money on. After so many speculations about another phone from the Poco brand, it was revealed this year that Poco will now have a separate identity and will be a separate brand from Xiaomi. It will be operating on its own and be producing its own Poco phones. Once this was announced, rumors started heating up for the next-gen Poco phone.
And after several leaks and rumors, finally, the Poco X2 was launched that although, was not a flagship device, but packed in features like a 120Hz refresh rate display. Talking about other specs, the phone comes with a Snapdragon 730G processor paired with 6/8 GB of RAM, a massive 4500 mAh battery, comes with Android 10 (MIUI 11) out of the box and has been recently announced that, it will get the Android 11 update as well. Moreover, it offers onboard storage of 256 GB of storage and quad-camera storage with 64 MP primary shooter. In the front, you get a dual-camera setup with a 20MP lens.
Now, if you also happen to own a Poco X2 and are looking for ways to unlock the bootloader of the phone then, you are at the right place, as in this post, we will be guiding you on how to unlock the bootloader of Poco X2 phone. If you are new to rooting, then you must understand that first, you need to unlock the bootloader of the device and then install a custom recovery like TWRP to root the device. So, that being said, let us get straight into the article itself:
- Poco X2 Device Overview
- What is Bootloader Unlock?
- Why do we need to unlock the bootloader?
- Disadvantages of bootloader unlock
- Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Poco X2
Poco X2 Device Overview
The Poco X2 sports a 6.67-inch FHD+ IPS LCD punch hole Display with a whooping 120hz screen refresh rate. The device has a screen to body ratio of 91% and in the aspect ratio of 20:9. This LCD display panel also comes with support for an “Intelligent Dynamic Refresh Rate” technology that is claimed to adjust the refresh rate to provide enhanced results dynamically. Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protects the front and rear of the smartphone. Underneath the Poco X2, it sports Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G chipset, which pairs Adreno 618. Further, there is also a second-generation Game Turbo mode, which is to boost graphics rendering.
The new smartphone also has a proprietary LiquidCool technology, which is claimed to provide 300 percent faster heat transfer over the models which don’t have a liquid cooling system. The device pairs with 6 and 8GB LPDDR4X RAM and 64, 128, and 256GB of Ufs 2.1 internal storage options. This internal storage is further expandable up to 256GB via a micro SD card. Although the device has a hybrid SIM slot, i.e., you can insert two Nano SIMS or a Nano-SIM and a micro SD card.
Talking about optics, the Poco X2 sports a quad rear camera setup. This setup comprises of a 64MP Sony IMX 686 primary sensor with an f/1.89 aperture value. This sensor pairs with an 8MP ultra wide-angle sensor with a 120-degree field of view and f/2.2 aperture value. Further, it has a tertiary 2MP macro sensor with f/2.4 aperture and another 2MP depth sensor with the same f/2.4 aperture. To the front, the device has a dual-camera setup, which is placed in the punch hole to the top-right edge.
The Poco X2 packs a 4,500 mAh battery, which charges via type c and supports 27W fast charging tech. Poco claims that this device can be charged from 0 – 100 in just 68 minutes. The new device from Poco runs on MIUI 11 Designed for Poco on top of Android 10. The Poco X2 has a side-mounted fingerprint scanner and supports face unlock for security purposes. Connectivity options include 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth, GPS/ A-GPS, USB Type-C, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
What is Bootloader Unlock?
A bootloader is a program that is the first thing that boots up in your device whenever you turn ON your device. It commands the device to run the appropriate programs in order to run smoothly and provide better performance. Moreover, the bootloader is stored away from the reach of the user and is stored at a stable memory so that the user could not hamper the files. However, there are methods and ways via which you can safely unlock the bootloader of the device and go ahead with flashing a custom recovery to root your device. But, you should make sure to follow a reliable guide and follow the steps correctly in order to avoid any permanent damage to your phone.
Why do we need to unlock the bootloader?
Once you have unlocked the bootloader on your phone, then you can root your phone. It allows the user to go ahead and install restricted apps, mod apps, install custom OS like Lineage OS, etc on the device. Note that the unlocking of the bootloader will void the warranty of your device. So, it is better to allow the warranty period to get over and then unlock it.
- You can install any custom ROM like Lineage OS, Resurrection ROM, etc.
- You can also root your device.
- Install a custom recovery like TWRP.
Disadvantages of bootloader unlock
Below are the disadvantages of the bootloader unlock that you need to keep in mind before you go ahead and actually unlock the bootloader of your phone:
- After unlocking the bootloader, it voids the warranty of your device.
- You will no longer receive the official OTA updates.
- You can brick your device if you do not follow the steps carefully.
Now before we go ahead and unlock the bootloader of Poco X2, let us make a list of pre-requisites that are required to unlock it:
Charge your phone
You need to make sure that your Poco X2 is charged to about 60% before operating it for unlocking the bootloader to avoid any boot loop issues during the unlocking process.
You need a PC or Laptop
We would be running certain ADB and Fastboot commands that can be executed via PC or a laptop. So, we would need a computer in order to unlock the bootloader.
Download USB Drivers
In order to make your Poco X2 recognized by your PC, you need to have proper USB Drivers appropriate to your phone installed on your computer. And for that, you can follow the link below to download the correct Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC.
Download Mi Unlock Tool
Mi Unlocker Tool is used for unlocking the bootloader of any Xiaomi device after getting permission From MIUI official website. You can download the latest Mi Unlock Tool by clicking the link below:
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock
To unlock the bootloader, first, you need to enable the USB Debugging and OEM unlock to interact with your PC or Laptop via the Mi Flash tool. You can follow the guide here on how to enable Developer Options and enable USB Debugging on your Poco X2 phone
Bind your Mi Account
In order to unlock the bootloader on your Poco X2, you are first required to bind your Mi Account to your phone. This can be easily done via the Mi Unlock Status menu that is located within the Developer Options. Follow the steps below to bind your Mi Account with your Poco X2:
- Make sure that you have a Mi Account. If not then, it can be easily created by visiting the official page.
- You need to insert the SIM card with the same number that you used to create the Mi account.
- Now, you need to use your mobile internet connection and disconnect from the WiFi for the further process.
- Then, head over to Settings>>Additional Settings>>Developer Options>>Add account and device and log in with your account.
- You will be greeted with a toast message stating “Added successfully. Mi account is associated with this device now.“
- That’s it!
Note that you should not try to bind your account, again and again, to avoid getting blocked temporarily by Mi.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Poco X2
- Turn off your phone and boot into the Fastboot mode.
- You need to connect your device to your PC/Laptop with the help of USB Cable while in Fastboot mode.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool from the above section.
- Extract the contents of the zip file and open the miflash_unlock.exe file.
- Log in to the Mi account within the tool.
- The tool will now verify whether your phone is eligible for bootloader unlocking.
- Once the phone is verified, the tool will show that the “Phone connected“.
- Now click the Unlock button within the tool.
- You will be prompted with a new message where you need to click on the Unlock anyway button.
- This will commence the unlocking process and once the process is complete, you will see a message stating Unlocked successfully.
- Click on the Reboot phone button. This will reboot your phone into the OS and you will be treated with an unlocked bootloader message confirming that the Poco X2 is unlocked.
- That’s it!
So, there you have it from my side in this article. I hope that this guide will help you with the unlocking of your Poco X2 easily and in a safe and official way. Please let us know in the comments if this guide was helpful and also comment down below if you have faced any issues with any of the above-mentioned steps. Until the next post…Cheers!