If you use Windows PC, you must be familiar with the notorious bluescreen of death. When some software or hardware snag happens the computer crashes and the user sees a blue screen with some message. The message on the blue screen will differ depending upon the issue with the computer. If you are trying to play a game or a movie or something that has a video output and it doesn’t run, then you will see the blue screen with a message video_tdr_failure atikmpag. sys, which is an error.
In that error, tdr means Timeout, Detection, and Recovery. This means the graphics card is not responding to the application that you’re trying to run on your PC. Depending upon the graphic card you’ve installed, the .sys error will vary. CPU overclocking, incompatible hardware/software, and unsupported graphics card cause this error. In this guide, I have explained how to fix this problem. Let’s check out the troubleshooting methods.
Table of Contents
Fix video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys Error on Windows OS
Let’s begin the troubleshooting.
Reinstall Graphics Driver
Reinstalling or updating the graphics driver essentially solves this video_tdr_failure error. Though on Windows 10, updates regarding the system hardware install automatically, still manual re-install will help it out.
- Open Device Manager using the Type Here to Search Box
- Then click Open
- Scroll to Display Adaptors in the list of device drivers installed on your PC
- Expand it and right-click on the adaptor
- Select Update to update the driver
- Or you can select Uninstall to uninstall the display adaptor driver
- Next, go to Google and search for the latest driver of the brand of the graphics that you have installed on your PC.
- Make sure to download the latest compatible driver from the official website of the graphics card brand.
- Install the driver and restart your PC
Try to run that application which earlier showed you the video_tdr_failure error. I’m sure it will run without any hassle. If it doesn’t run check out the next troubleshooting method.
Fix Overheating of your PC Components
The components of your computer can overheat if used for a long time every day. With regular use, dust and grime accumulate on the hardware components of the PC/laptop. So, the ideal way to fix that is by cleaning these components such as the fan, memory stick, processing unit, and motherboard.
For cleaning, you can take it to the official service center of your laptop brand. It is safe to get the work done by professionals. You may also do it yourself but make sure that you know how to assemble and disassemble the components for cleaning. Now, when overheating has been fixed you should not see the video_tdr_failure error.
Change the Power Settings of Your PC
Sometimes adjusting the power settings on your PC can solve this video_tdr_failure issue. Here are the steps to do it.
- In the Type Here to Search Box, type Control Panel
- You will see the Control panel and its components would list up
- From that directly click on Power Options
- Click on Change Plan Settings
- On the next screen click on Change Advanced Power Settings
- In the dialog box that shows up, scroll to PCI Express and then click on the + sign to expand
- Then disable the Link State Power Management by turning it off
- Click Apply > click OK > Restart your PC
This should essentially stop the video_tdr_failure to occur if you try to run any app that requires video output.
Change Intel Graphics Settings to fix video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys
Since the issue primarily lies with the graphics unit, we can also try to tweak some settings in the Intel graphics running on your Windows PC.
- From the system tray access the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel
- Navigate to 3D Settings
- Enable the option Application Optimal Mode
- On the option, Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing set it to Use Application Settings
- Disable the option Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing.
- Enable Balanced Mode under General Settings
- Next, navigate to Video Settings
- Under standard Color, Correction change it to Application Settings
- Next, change the Input Range to Application Settings
So, that’s it. Try out these troubleshooting methods and fix the blue screen of death showing the video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys error. Let me know which of these fixes worked for you.