Microsoft is continually presenting Windows 10 updates in order to ensure the latest security and stability patches and smooth performance. It always alerts the users from time to time about these updates and hence performs a very responsible role of a host.
- Fixes for Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff
- FIX 1: Perform Clean Boot:
- FIX 2: Disable the third-party antivirus from your system:
- FIX 3: Set the Windows Defender service to Automatic:
- FIX 4: Use SFC and DISM Tools for checking the System Files Integrity:
- FIX 5: Reset Windows update services:
- FIX 6: Disable Windows Firewall:
- FIX 7: Download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
Fixes for Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff
However, while downloading these updates in Windows 10, many users have been facing endless errors. One such error we are going to discuss today is the “Error 0x80242ff”. It usually appears while updating Windows from version 7 or 8.1 to version 10. Though it is a basic error and getting rid of it is quite convenient as well. For learning the fixes regarding “Error 0x80242ff”, stick on to the article till the end:
FIX 1: Perform Clean Boot:
The first fix we can try in order to fix the “Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff” is performing a Clean Boot. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open the RUN prompt, type “msconfig” and then click on OK.
- Now in the Service configuration window, click on the Service tab and tick the checkbox located before the option Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click on the Disable All tab and then click on Apply to confirm the changes.
- Now click on the Start-up tab and select the option Open task Manager.
- Turn off all the start-up programs one after the other and then click on OK.
- Lastly, restart your PC and then again try to update Windows 10.
FIX 2: Disable the third-party antivirus from your system:
One of the common reasons for “Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff” is either a third-party antivirus in whole or some of its specified features. In this case, either you can try disabling some features of the antivirus first and check whether it helps or not. Or you can altogether disable or uninstall the antivirus software as well and check whether it helps or not.
If after disabling your current antivirus software, the error 0x80242ff resolves, then it is recommended that you must switch to different third-party antivirus software.
FIX 3: Set the Windows Defender service to Automatic:
Changing some settings in the Windows Defender service might also help you in getting rid of the “Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff”. To set the service as Automatic, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open the RUN prompt, type “services.msc” and press Enter.
- From the Services window scroll down and locate Windows Defender.
- Now check the service status, if it is blank then change it. To do so, right-click on it and select Start.
- And make sure the Start-up type is set as Automatic. If not, then select its Properties and, set it accordingly.
- Once done, reboot the system and then try to update again. The error issue might have solved by now.
FIX 4: Use SFC and DISM Tools for checking the System Files Integrity:
A corrupt system file could be one of the primary reasons for “Windows 10 update Error 0x80242ff”. Hence by verifying the System Files Integrity through SFC and DISM, we can get rid of the said error. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, type “cmd” on the Windows search bar.
- From the search results, locate Command prompt and then select Run as administrator from its right-pane menu.
- Now in the administrator window, type the following command and then press Enter:
- Now it will start the scanning process and check your system for any corrupt files. The process might take some time, do not close the window till then.
Once done, try to update your system. If it processes smoothly, then it means the error is resolved with the SFC scan. However, if not, then run the DISM tool now.
- Follow the 1st and 2nd step from the first procedure of this FIX.
- Now type the below command and then press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Now it will start the scanning process and check your system for any corrupt files. As same as above this process also might take some time, do not close the window till then.
Once done, try to update your system. It would have resolved the said error issue by now.
FIX 5: Reset Windows update services:
The “Windows 10 update Error 0x80242ff” can occur if there’s an issue with the Windows update services. Hence, resetting the Windows update services might help here. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open the Command prompt with the Administrator access.
- Now disable all your network connections. For doing so, run the following commands in sequence. Make sure you press Enter key after each of the commands to make them run separately.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- After running the commands, your internet connection enabled.
- Once done, restart your PC and try to update your system. The error issue might have resolved by now.
FIX 6: Disable Windows Firewall:
For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- First open the RUN dialog box by pressing Windows key+ R simultaneously.
- Then in the RUN dialog box you need to type “firewall.cpl” and click OK.
- Here from the left-pane menu select the option Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
- Now on the Customize settings window navigate to the Private network settings.
- Here click on the circle located before the option Turn off Windows defender firewall (not recommended).
- On the Public Network settings click on the circle locate before the option Turn off Windows defender firewall (not recommended).
- Lastly, click on OK to save the changes.
Once done, try to update Windows again. If the process done smoothly, then turn on the Windows Defender Firewall again.
FIX 7: Download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
If none of the above solutions works for you, then you can also download the Windows update directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
NOTE: This fix will only allow you to download and install the update but will not fix the error issue.
Now before you proceed with this fix, visit the Windows Update section on your device and find the code of the update you were trying to install. The code would be something similar to “KBxxxxxxx”. Here ‘xxx’ means an array of numbers.
- Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog and in the search box enter the Update code.
- Now from the list of matching updates, select the one that uses the same architecture as your PC.
- Click on the Download button.
- Once it is downloaded, double click on the file and let it install into your system.
These were all the best possible fixes for “Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff”. All of them are tried, tested and safe to use for all the users. Meanwhile, apart from these fixes, we recommend you to perform a “Malware Scan” on your system and check whether it helps you to get rid of the said issue or not.
We hope you will find all the information mentioned in the article above as helpful and relevant. The Windows 10 updates might bring you towards various possible errors, however, the “Error 0x80242ff” is a basic one and can get solved easily. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.