There are many instances where apps on your PC might not work, and many users are already complaining about Windows photos video export, not working issues. With the built-in app “Photos”, users can create basic videos of their favourite pictures. But for some reason, the export feature is not working, and here is how you can fix it.
Windows comes with a fantastic image viewer and editor called photos. But that’s not it, and photos can create videos and albums from within the app without the need for any expensive video editing apps that require some skills. But some users lately started experiencing some issues with this app. They were able to edit some photos and make a video, but when exporting the app gives out some unknown error. So in this article, we are going to give some solutions and workarounds that you can try to fix this issue.
Fix: Windows photos Video Export Not Working.
Before continuing to the troubleshooting part, check if you have some amount of storage left on your C: drive. If you don’t have then try clearing some space by deleting unnecessary files and uninstalling unwanted programs.
Method 1: Update the Photos app
The chances are that you might be running an older version of the Photos app. So you can try updating the Photos app in order to rectify this issue. Since Photos is a UWP app (Universal Windows Platform), updates are handled through the Microsoft store. So to update the app:
- Open Microsoft store from the start menu.
- Click on the Download icon to the top right corner.
- Scroll down to photos and click on Update to get the latest version.
After installing the latest version, try exporting the video.
Method 2: Disable Hardware-Accelerated video encoding
If you’re running the latest version of the Photos app, there is a setting on the app to enable Hardware accelerated video encoding. Although this term can sound fancy, it’s easy to disable it.
- Open the Photos app and click on the Settings icon.
- Under Video, you should see a toggle switch.
- Turn it off to turn off Hardware-accelerated video encoding.
After changing the settings, try to export your video.
Method 3: Update GPU Drivers
If you’re running an older version of your Graphics driver, this issue might occur. So you should consider updating your GPU drivers.
- Head over to the nVidia or AMD or intel website,
- Download the latest drivers
- Install them and restart
Finally, check if the problem is solved.
Method 4: Kill and reset the Photos app
Since it’s the photos app that’s causing the issue, we can try killing the app and resetting it. To do so,
- Open Settings and click on System.
- Now click on Apps and Features.
- Scroll down to Photos and click on Advanced options.
- First tap on Terminate to kill the app and recheck.
- Finally, if it doesn’t work even after killing, click on Reset from the same menu.
Now that you have reset the app try to export the video from the photos app.
So these were some quick fixes for the Photos app not exporting video error. Although if you still cannot export any videos, then you should consider using any third-party apps that can do the task. There are some free alternative apps to edit simple videos for PC. I would recommend Kdenlive or Shortcut, which are free and available for download for multiple platforms, including Windows.