As the name suggests, the Samsung Galaxy J7 2016 was released back in April 2016 and came with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and upgradable to Android 8.1 Oreo. Now, if you’re using a Galaxy J7 2016 model and waiting for the official Android 9.0 Pie update, then it may not be possible for now. Meanwhile, you can install Pie-based third-party firmware manually. But after the launch of Android 10, if you want to install AOSP Android 10 update for Galaxy J7 2016, then you can follow the full guide.
It’s a GSI Treble ROM based on AOSP Android 10, thanks to phhusson XDA Recognized Developer for this build. If you don’t know about GSI (Generic System Image), it’s a system image with adjusted configurations for Android devices. It’s a Pure Android implementation with an unmodified Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code that’s compatible with Project Treble devices. All the Android 8.0 Oreo or higher version running devices are Project Treble supported.
Therefore, if in case, your Android handset is not capable enough to receive the official stable Android 10 update, then you should try out the AOSP Android 10 GSI build on your device by flashing the firmware using the full-depth guide below. Here in this article, we will provide you how to install the Android 10 GSI build on your Samsung Galaxy J7 2016 model quite easily.
Table of Contents
Samsung Galaxy J7 2016: Overview
The device came with a 5.5-inches Super AMOLED display with 720×1280 pixels resolution. It’s powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 or Exynos 7870 SoC, paired with Adreno 405 or Mali-T830 MP1 GPU. It packs 2GB RAM and 16GB of onboard storage which is expandable via a dedicated microSD card slot.
The device features a 13MP (wide, f/1.9) lens with autofocus, HDR, Panorama, an LED flash, etc. While the handset packs a 5MP selfie camera with an f/1.9 aperture lens. It has a 3.5mm audio jack, Wi-Fi Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, NFC, FM Radio, RDS, MicroUSB 2.0, USB OTG, etc.
In terms of the sensors, there are a few sensors available like a proximity sensor, an accelerometer, an ambient light sensor, ANT+, etc. While the device sports a decent 3,300mAh battery (removable) that can last up to a full day on a single charge with moderate usage. It’s a 3G single and dual Micro-SIM device.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Galaxy J7 2016
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:Guide to install Generic System Image (GSI) on your Android device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy J7 2016 handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.