Valve Corporation did come up with a free-to-play MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) video game called ‘Dota 2‘ back in 2013 that allows millions of players worldwide to enter the battle as one of over a hundred Dota heroes. Though the title has received more than millions of positive reviews on Steam, some unfortunate players report that Dota 2 won’t launch or not load on their PC, which is unexpected.
If you’re also facing the same issue, follow this troubleshooting guide to resolve it. In most scenarios, it’s quite common that almost every PC game has its fair share of issues or bugs or even multiple errors whatsoever. Whereas Dota 2 is no exception here, it seems that plenty of PC gamers are encountering startup crashing or the game not launching issues. So, it’s always better to get into the actual reason and fix it completely.
- Why Won’t Dota 2 Launch?
- Fix: Dota 2 Not Loading on PC
- 1. Check System Requirements
- 2. Run the game as an Administrator
- 3. Verify Integrity of Game Files
- 4. Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- 5. Update DirectX
- 6. Update GPU Drivers
- 7. Disable Overlay Apps
- 8. Install All Pending Windows Updates
- 9. Disable Antivirus and Firewall Program
- 10. Launch the Game in Windowed Mode (Steam)
- 11. Perform a Clean Boot
- 12. Close Background Processes
- 13. Reset Dota 2
- 14. Reinstall Dota 2
Why Won’t Dota 2 Launch?
Dota 2 game didn’t go well with the launch because there are a bunch of bugs and connectivity errors appearing to the players no matter which gaming platform they’re using. So, it’s worth mentioning that Dota 2 is full of issues that we can’t deny, but sometimes the problems at your end or even with your PC (directly or indirectly) can also trigger multiple game launching or crashing issues. So, without further ado, let’s get into it.
It may possible that your Dota 2 game doesn’t launch due to an outdated game patch, an outdated graphics driver version or Windows build, missing or corrupted game files, issues with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, unnecessary background running tasks, etc. Whereas some players can encounter won’t launching of the game issues due to incompatible PC hardware, unnecessary background running tasks, overlay apps, and more.
Fix: Dota 2 Not Loading on PC
It seems that you’re unable to launch the Dota 2 game on your Windows computer or somehow the game refuses to load further, and it seems to crash after some time. In that scenario, you can follow all the provided workarounds one by one to check whether your problem has been fixed or not.
1. Check System Requirements
First of all, you’ll need to check whether your PC configuration meets the game’s system requirements or not. Sometimes an incompatible PC hardware can trigger multiple issues with the game launching.
Minimum System Requirements:
- OS: Windows 7 or newer
- Processor: Dual core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeon HD2600/3600
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 15 GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
2. Run the game as an Administrator
If you’re not running your video game using an administrator privilege, it may cause issues with the game launching or startup crashing, even the game not loading, etc. So, it’s better to simply run the game exe file as an administrator on your Windows computer to check if that fixes the problem or not. To do so:
- Right-click on the Dota 2 exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
3. Verify Integrity of Game Files
If your game files become corrupted or missing for some unexpected reasons, verifying and repairing the game files using the game launcher can help you a lot. To do this:
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Dota 2 from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
4. Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- Head over to the following path on your PC:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist
- You should see the following folders:
- Just make sure to run all of these executable files that are present. (If you’ve different folders, then run the vc_redist.x64.exe file in those folders)
- Finally, restart your PC to fix the issue.
5. Update DirectX
- Go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DirectX folder path.
- Next, run the DXSETUP.exe file to reinstall/update DirectX.
- Once done, restart your computer to apply changes.
6. Update GPU Drivers
It seems that multiple affected players have reported the outdated graphics driver. If you’re also using the outdated graphics driver for a while, then make sure to check for updates by following the steps below:
- Press Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager from the list > Double-click on Display adapters.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that’s active.
- Next, select Update driver > Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If an update is available, the system will automatically download & install it.
- Once done, restart the computer to apply changes.
This method should fix Dota 2 Won’t Launch on PC issue. If not, you can head over to the next method.
7. Disable Overlay Apps
According to some of the affected players, disabling the overlay apps such as Xbox, Discord, or any other on the Windows computer has helped them easily fix the game not launching issue. As the in-game overlay app is always running in the background whenever you launch the game client, it’s possible to have issues with the processes or system resources.
8. Install All Pending Windows Updates
It may be possible that any Windows bugs or system files somehow conflict with the game to run it properly. Sometimes an incompatibility issue can also occur when you didn’t update the software for a while. So, install all the pending Windows updates and keep it to the latest OS build whatsoever. To do that:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- Wait for some time until the update gets completed.
- Finally, reboot your PC to apply changes immediately.
9. Disable Antivirus and Firewall Program
- Click on the Start menu > Type Control Panel and click on it.
- Now, type firewall in the search box > Click on Windows Firewall.
- From the left pane, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Make sure to select Turn off Windows Firewall for the Private, Domain, and Public Network Settings.
- Finally, reboot the PC to apply changes and check the issue.
Now, you’ll have to disable the anti-virus protection (Windows Defender) as well by following the steps below:
- Head over to the Windows Settings > Privacy and Security.
- Now, go to Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Manage settings >Then turn off the Real-time Protection option.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
If, in case, you’re using any third-party antivirus program, make sure to turn it off manually.
10. Launch the Game in Windowed Mode (Steam)
Try launching the game in Windowed display mode to check if that helps you. Sometimes a computer with an average hardware specification can cause several issues with the fullscreen display mode while running the game.
- Open the Steam client and go to Library.
- Right-click on Dota 2 > Select Properties.
- In the General section, click on Set Launch Options.
- Next, copy & paste the following command-line argument:
- Make sure to save changes and try running the game again to check if Dota 2 is launching properly or not.
11. Perform a Clean Boot
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig and hit Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- Go to the Services tab > Enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Click on Disable all.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Now, click on the Startup tab > Click on Open Task Manager.
- Under the Startup tab from the Task Manager interface, click on the particular tasks enabled for startup boot > Click on Disable.
- Select the high-impact startup programs and disable them one by one.
- Once all is done, restart your PC to apply changes.
- Finally, check whether the Dota 2 Won’t Launch on PC issue has been fixed or not.
12. Close Background Processes
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Select the task you want to close.
- Once selected, click on End Task. Make sure to do the steps for each task individually.
- Once done, just restart your computer to change effects immediately.
13. Reset Dota 2
- Press the Windows (Start) + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Select Apps and Features > Click on Dota 2 from the list of installed programs to select it.
- Now, click on Advanced options > Select Reset.
- Once done, reboot your computer and try to launch the game.
14. Reinstall Dota 2
If none of the methods worked for you, try reinstalling the Dota 2 game to check if that helps fix the game not launching issue. To do so:
- Launch the Steam client on your computer.
- Go to Library > Right-click on Dota 2 game.
- Head over to Manage > Select Uninstall.
- If prompted, click on Uninstall again and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to apply changes immediately.
- Open the Steam client again and install the game using the existing Steam account.
- You’re done. Enjoy! This can resolve the Dota 2 Won’t Launch on PC issue.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.