In this tutorial, we will show you the steps to fix Update Error 0x80240017 on your Windows 8 or 10 PC. In most cases, this error stems out from the installation issues with the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio. Along the same lines, if the Windows Update fails to install the latest version, then you might also get the aforementioned error.
In some cases, corrupted system files could also throw in this error. Well, that’s not all. Some users are reportedly facing this error due to errors with their printer drivers. In this regard, today we will show you how to rectify these issues, which in turn will fix the Update Error 0x80240017 on your Windows 8 or 10 PC as well. Follow along for the complete instructions.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80240017
This isn’t a one-off error. Many users across the Microsoft Forum have also voiced their concern regarding this issue. If you are also on the same page, then the below-mentioned workarounds should come in handy. Keep in mind that there isn’t any universal fix for this. You will have to try out all the methods one by one until you are able to rectify the issue.
Fix 1: Using Windows Troubleshooter
While manually finding the root cause for this issue could be a tough job, fortunately, there isn’t much that needs to be done from your end. Windows comes baked-in with a Troubleshooter feature that automatically searches for the issues and then applies the fixes. Furthermore, one section of the Troubleshooter focuses entirely on Windows update, and we will be making use of just that. Follow along for the steps:
- Use the Windows+R shortcut keys to launch the Run dialog box.
- Type in the following command and hit Enter. This will take you to the Troubleshooting menu.
control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting
- Within that, head over to the Windows Update section and click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Windows will now search for the issues and then list out the appropriate fixes as well.
- Click on Apply this fix and wait for the process to complete.
Once that is done, restart your PC and see if it is able to fix the Windows Update Error 0x80240017 on your PC.
Fix 2: Reset Windows Update Components
Various components of the Windows Update runs in the background. They are responsible for getting hold of the latest updates and then letting the users install them. However, if there’s an issue with any of these components then it is bound to affect the Windows Update as well. In this regard, the safest bet is to reset all the Windows Update Components. Here is what needs to be done for that:
- Search for CMD from the Start menu and launch it as an Administrator.
- Now type in the following commands in the elevated CMD window. Type in the first command, hit Enter, execute the second command, and so on:
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver pause
Once you have executed all the above commands, restart your PC. Then check if you could fix the Windows Update Error 0x80240017 on your PC. If you are still getting this error, then here are some other tweaks to try out.
Fix 3: System File Checker
The System File Checker or SFC Tool is officially provided by Microsoft. The purpose of this tool is to scan all the errors and issues related to the system files and then fix them accordingly. So if any underlying file is found to be corrupt, the tool will automatically replace it with the correct backed-up one. With that in mind, here are the steps to use this tool:
- Head over to the Start menu and search for CMD (make sure to launch it as an admin).
- Now type in the below command in the CMD window and hit Enter:
- The entire verification might take some time and it is recommended not to carry out any other tasks on your system.
- Once the process has been finished, you may or may not get the report. In some instances, Windows fixes the corrupt files in the background but doesn’t update that status in the CMD window.
So after the scanning is finished, restart your PC. After the reboot, see if the process was able to fix the Windows Update Error 0x80240017 or not.
Fix 4: Using the DISM Tool
The role of the Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool is similar to System File Checker. It also checks for corrupt Windows system files and then fixes them. But this is where the similarity ends.
Whereas the SFC Tool carries out the repair work by using one of the files stored on your local backup, DISM takes the online route. If it finds out a damaged system file, then it will download a working build of that file and will replace it with the corrupted one. With that said, here’s how you could use this tool:
- Similar to SFC, this is also a command-line tool. So launch the CMD from the Start menu with administrative privileges.
- Now type in the below command to start the scanning process:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthNote
- Once the scanning is complete, it’s time to perform the repair work. Execute the below command for that:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestorehealthNote
- The process will begin. It will now start fixing all the issues that it was able to find in STEP 2.
Once done, reboot your PC. Now see if you were able to fix the Windows Update Error 0x80240017 or not.
Fix 5: Update Printer Drivers
While it may sound a little strange, but in some cases, the issue has been found to be related to an old or outdated printer driver as well. In that case, you should update the drivers to the latest version right away. Here are the required steps for the same:
- Use the Windows+X shortcut keys to bring up a menu. Select Device Manager from it.
- Within that, head over to the Printers section (it is different from Print Queues).
- Right-click on your Printer and select Update Drivers.
- Then select Search automatically for the latest updated drivers (see ‘NOTE’ below).
- Windows will look online for the latest printers drivers and then install it.
- Once that is done, restart your PC. Your issue should now have been resolved.
NOTE: Do keep in mind that if you already have the printer driver software or its CD, then you should go ahead with the ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ option, click Browse and follow the on-screen instructions.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to fix the Update Error 0x80240017 on Windows 8 or 10. We have shared five different methods for the same. Do let us know in the comments which method managed to give out favorable results in your case. Along the same lines, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.