In this tutorial, we will show you how to fix the iPhone AutoPlay not working issues on Windows 10. AutoPlay is a pretty nifty feature baked into the Windows OS. Once you connect your device to PC, it will display a menu having some important functionalities. From viewing and importing photos to playing music or opening the File Explorer to access in-device files, a lot could be done with just a single mouse click.
However, not everyone is able to make full use of this feature. Quite a lot of iPhone users are complaining that the AutoPlay menu doesn’t pop up when they connect their device to their Windows 10 PC. In this guide, we will be having a look at all the possible reasons for this error and more importantly, will share the appropriate fixes as well. Follow along.
Fix iPhone AutoPlay not working on Windows 10
There could be many reasons for the aforementioned issues. Some of the most common ones include using an old graphics driver, issues with Windows 10 AutoPlay settings, Registry issues, or Shell Hardware Detection issues could also lead to this. So here are all the potential fixes for these issues which will in turn fix the iPhone AutoPlay not working on Windows 10. Do keep mind that there is no universal fix for the same, you will have to try each one of them until you achieve success.
Fix 1: Re-Enable the AutoPlay Toggle
The first fix is mostly along the basic lines, all you have to do is disable and then re-enable the AutoPlay option. This will in turn refreshes this feature and might fix the issue as well.
- Use the Windows+I shortcut keys to launch the Settings menu.
- Then go to the AutoPlay option from the left menu bar.
- Now just disable and re-enable the AutoPlay toggle situated at the top. Check if it fixes the iPhone AutoPlay issues on your Windows 10 PC.
Fix 2: Update Graphics Drivers
If you are using an old or outdated graphics drivers, then there are bound to some issues with it. Therefore it is recommended to update the drivers to the latest version. Here is how it could be done:
- Use the Windows+X shortcut key combinations and select Device Manager from the menu that appears.
- Then head over to the Display Adapters section and click on it to further expand it.
- Now right-click on your Graphics card and select Update Drivers.
- In the next menu that appears, select Search automatically for updated graphics driver.
- Windows will now search for the latest drivers, download and install the same.
Once that is done, restart your PC and see if you are able to fix iPhone Autoplay issues on your Windows 10 PC.
Fix 3: Reset AutoPlay Settings
You could also reset the AutoPlay settings back to its default state. This will remove all the changes that you had made to this feature and in turn, might fix the issue as well.
- So use the Windows+I shortcut key combinations to launch the Settings menu.
- Then go to the Devices section.
- Select the AutoPlay option from the left menu bar
- You will now see a list of all the connected devices. Head over to the drop-down menu next to your iPhone and select Ask me every time.
Now close this Settings menu and connect your iPhone, see if this fixes the iPhone AutoPlay issues on your Windows 10 PC.
Fix 4: Modify the Registry
An incorrect registry entry might also lead to an issue or two. In that regard, there exists a pretty nifty fix. You could create a new registry file and use that file to fix the aforementioned issue. Here are the required steps:
- First off, create a new Notepad file on your desktop. For that, right-click on an empty location on the desktop and select New > Text Document.
- Then copy-paste the following lines in that file:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=-
- Now go to File > Save As and change the Save as type option to All Files. Name this file as test.reg and hit the Save button.
- You will now see a registry editor file named test on your desktop, open it as an administrator.
Once that is done, connect your iPhone to your PC and check whether the iPhone AutoPlay issues on your Windows 10 PC has been fixed or not.
Fix 5: Using Shell Hardware Detection
The Shell Hardware Detection manages the AutoPlay notifications on your Windows PC. If it is facing an issue or two, then it may hold back the AutoPlay pop-up dialog box. In that case, you could use the ShellHWDetection command to fix this issue. Here’s how:
- Head over to the Start menu and search CMD.
- Then click on Run as Administrator.
- Now execute the below command in the CMD window:
net start shellhwdetection
- After this, restart your PC. See if the AutoPlay option now appears on your Windows 10 PC after connecting your iPhone.
Fix 6: Use the Windows Troubleshooter
You could also make use of the Windows baked in troubleshooter and scan if there are any issues on the hardware side.
- Launch the Command Prompt from the Start menu as an Admin.
- Then type in the following command and hit Enter:
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- This will launch the Hardware and Devices section. Click on Next and proceed with the on-screen instructions.
- Once completed, connect your iPhone and see if you were able to fix the AutoPlay issues on your Windows 10 PC.
Fix 7: Reinstall Drivers
If none of the above methods managed to fix the issue, then you might have to reinstall the drivers. Here is how it could be done:
- Connect your iPhone to the PC. Right-click on the Windows icon situated at the taskbar and select Device Manager.
- Within that, go to the Other Devices or Portable Devices section and click on it to further expand it.
- Right-click on Apple iPhone and select Uninstall Device.
- Once that is done, re-connect your device to PC and the drivers would be automatically installed.
- If that doesn’t happen, then again go to the Portable Device section, right-click on your device, and select Update Drivers. This should reinstall the drivers and should fix the underlying AutoPlay issues as well.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to fix the iPhone AutoPlay not working issues on Windows 10. We have shared seven different fixes for the same, do let us know in the comments which one managed to rectify the issue. Furthermore, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.