The 2018’s Motorola Moto Z3 Play was a budget segment all-rounder smartphone that came with Android 8.1 Oreo out-of-the-box. Last year, the device received Android 9.0 Pie update and the users are eagerly waiting for the official Android 10 update which seems delayed as of now. So, if you want to get a taste of Android 10 right now, then this guide is for you. Here we’ve provided the steps to Download and Install Lineage OS 17 for Moto Z3 Play [Based on Android 10] along with requirements.
Motorola Moto Z3 Play (codenamed: beckham) and all other Motorola devices come with minimum customizations and almost no bloatware. However, the users may want to install any custom firmware on their Moto Z3 Play in order to use plenty of customizations and get an early taste of Android versions. Now, if you’re also a Custom ROM especially Lineage OS lover, then you can easily flash the Lineage OS 17 (Android 10) firmware on your handset using a custom recovery like TWRP Recovery.
Thanks to u/i_guess_i_am_a_scout for sharing the Lineage OS 17 (Android 10) firmware file with some of the details that all the interested Moto Z3 Play users should know before installing this build. There are some things working and one thing isn’t working on this ROM right now. But let’s take a quick look at the Android 10 and Lineage OS 17 overview.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has officially unveiled the latest version of Android OS called Android 10. The update is already live for Pixel series devices. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Lineage OS 17: Android 10 Build
Lineage OS is an open-source and free operating system that is based on the Android platform. It is the successor to the custom MOD, the CyanogenMod, which shut down its operation in December 2016. However, Cyanogen. Inc retained the rights to the custom MOD and gave a rebranding to it as Lineage OS.
Well, LineageOS 17 will be based on the latest Android 10 and it comes with all the Android 10 features and Lineage customization options which allows users to be more advanced. Now you can enjoy Lineage OS 17 on Motorola Moto Z3 Play (beckham) by flashing this custom ROM.
What's Working and What's not?
- Calls and SMS
- Fingerprint reader
- Ambient display
- Snapchat video
- Notification LED
- Battery Moto Mod
- Mobile Data 3G, 4G LTE not working at all (CDMA LTE data working though)
Steps to Install Lineage OS 17 for Moto Z3 Play [Based on Android 10]
First of all, make sure that the Motorola Moto Z3 Play bootloader should be unlocked. Then you will need to install the latest TWRP Recovery on your handset. Now, check out all the requirements and download links below in order to proceed to the firmware installation steps.
- This Custom ROM is exclusive for the Moto Z3 Play (beckham) model only.
- The bootloader should be unlocked on your device.
- TWRP Recovery should be installed.
- Download all the required files from the link below.
- You will require a PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- Charge your device more than 60% at least.
- Backup your device data before flashing any file.
Instructions to Install: Lineage OS 17 for Moto Z3 Play
- Make sure that you have downloaded all the required files on your device.
- Now, copy the ROM and Gapps file to your device internal storage.
- Next, reboot your Motorola Moto Z3 Play into recovery mode.
- You will boot into TWRP Recovery mode.
- In the TWRP menu, go to Wipe section.
- Select Advanced Wipe > Select the data, system, vendor, cache > Swipe the slider to delete it.
- Now, flash the ROM zip file from the Install option.
- The system will be mounted already Uncheck it & Remount system and vendor manually. Then flash Gapps zip file (if you want Google apps).
- Finally, reboot your phone. Have some patience as it might take some time to boot into a new system for the first time.
- That’s it. Enjoy!
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the Lineage OS 17 on your Motorola Moto Z3 Play (beckham) handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.