Google Pixel 4a (codename: sunfish) launched in August 2020. The handset came with Android 10 Q and later upgrade to Android 11. In this tutorial, we will show you how to download and install Lineage OS 18.1 on Google Pixel 4a (sunfish) device. The Google-owned OS is open source in nature. This allows the userbase to try out tons of customizations and modifications onto your devices. For the starters, they could install themes, icon packs, and launchers from the Play Store. But this is just the beginning. There are a plethora of other tweaks that you could try out on your device.
All that is required is an unlocked bootloader, and then you could easily set your feet in the custom development. From installing a custom recovery like TWRP to gaining root access via Magisk, the possibilities are endless. Along the same lines, you could also try out a customized Android OS in the form of custom ROMs. And in this guide, we will be discussing just that. Today, we will show you the steps to install Lineage OS 18.1 onto your Google Pixel 4a (sunfish) device.
Google Pixel 4a has 5.81-inch screen has a 1080 x 2340 pixel resolution with a 19.5:9 aspect ratio. Under the hood, you get an octa-core Qualcomm SDM730 Snapdragon 730G with Adreno 618 as the GPU. The device comes in a single variant 128GB 6GB RAM, with no support for the SD card. However, there is still a 3.5mm jack that is something worth commendable. Coming to the camera department, you get a single 12.2 MP with f/1.7 aperture rear camera setup, which holds 4K@30fps and 1080p@30/60/120fps video recording capabilities. On the front, there is a single 8 MP lens with f/2.0 aperture. This has 1080p@30fps video recording capabilities.
Lineage OS 18.1 with Android 11 Features
Among all the custom ROMs available for our device, Lineage has been among the oldest player. In its early days, it was known as CyanogenMod and now this ‘lineage’ seems to have been rightly carried forward. Based on the Android Open Source Project, you will be able to welcome a few handy customization options to your device. The ROM isn’t known to offer a plethora of features, rather it maintains an equilibrium with the stability front.
As far as the latest LineageOS 18.1 is concerned, it is based on the latest Android 11 that has just been released. This in turn translates to the user getting blessed with some noteworthy features. These include a separate Conversation section, OneTime Permissions, and the new Notification History. Likewise, there has been the introduction of Chat Bubbles and a native Screen Recorder. The Media Player has now also been moved to the Quick Settings with some handy Media Controls options.
Refer to our detailed instructions on how to install lineage OS 18.1 onto Google Pixel 4a.
How to Install LineageOS 18.1 on Google Pixel 4a
Before we list the instructions, there are a few points worth discussing. We would like to state that the ROM is an unofficial build and in the alpha stage. So you could face a few stability issues as well as bugs. On that note, here are all the working features and the bugs present in this ROM:
Not Known – We haven’t tested yet
So if you are ready to install LineageOS 18.1 onto your Google Pixel 4a (sunfish) device, then here is all the required information. Let’s start with the requirements set.
- First and foremost, create a complete device backup. This is because we will be wiping the data partition which will format your device.
- Next up, you will need to unlock the bootloader on your device. If you haven’t done so, then refer to our guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 4a.
- Once that is done, you also need to have the TWRP Recovery installed. You could refer to our guide on How to Install TWRP Recovery on Google Pixel 4a.
- Also, enable USB Debugging on your device so that it gets recognized by your PC in the ADB Mode. For that, head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Next, up, download and install the Android SDK Platform Tool on your PC. This will provide you with the necessary binary files.
- Also, download and install the Google USB Drivers onto your PC.
- Finally, download the Lineage OS 18.1 on Google Pixel 4a: Download Link
- If you want Google Apps as well, then download the Android 11 GApps file
That’s it. You may now proceed with the installation steps.
Instructions to Install Lineage OS 18.1 on Google Pixel 4a
- Transfer the downloaded ROM and the GApps file to the Internal Storage of your device.
- Now connect it to the PC via USB Cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Head over to the platform-tools folder on your PC, type in CMD in the address, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt window.
- Execute the below command in the CMD window to boot your device to TWRP Recovery
adb reboot recovery
- Now that your device is booted to TWRP, head over to the Wipe section and tap on Advanced Wipe.
- Then, select the System, Vendor, Data, and the Cache partition and perform a right swipe to format the selected partitions.
- After this, go to the Install section of TWRP. Navigate to the downloaded LineageOS 18.1 ZIP file, select it and perform a right swipe to install it.
- The process might take a few minutes. When the flashing is complete, go back to the Install section and this time select the GApps package. Perform a right swipe to install this file as well.
- Likewise, you should also wipe the cache partition. You could either use the Wipe Cache button that would be available after flashing GApps. If not, then head over to Wipe, select the Cache partition and perform a right swipe to wipe it.
- You may now reboot your device to the newly installed OS. For that, head over to Reboot and select System.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to install Lineage OS 18.1 on Google Pixel 4a (sunfish) device. Do let us know your views about this ROM in the comments section below. Furthermore, you could also drop in your queries in the comments. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that deserve your attention as well.