Updated on August 06, 2020: Today Xiaomi rolled MIUI 12 in China for the Redmi S2 (Also Known as Redmi Y2 in India). The update comes with software version V188.8.131.52.PEFCNXM.
Updated on January 11, 2020: The Chinese smartphone brand Xiaomi has started pushing out another firmware update for the Redmi S2/Y2 (Codenamed as ysl) handset in China. The latest firmware update is based on Android 9.0 Pie and comes with a software version V184.108.40.206.PEFCNXM. It brings the latest security patch and a few bug fixes as well. If you’re a Xiaomi Redmi S2/Y2 Chinese variant user and want to upgrade your device to the latest software version, check out the full guide below. You can download MIUI 220.127.116.11 China Stable ROM for Redmi S2/Y2 [V18.104.22.168.PEFCNXM].
The new firmware update is arriving via OTA that brings the latest December 2019 Android Security Patch Level to the Redmi S2/Y2 (ysl) Chinese variant with the local time optimization in Clock. There is nothing extra included in this update. You can check for the OTA update on your handset. However, you can follow our full-depth guide to install the MIUI 22.214.171.124 China Stable ROM on your Redmi S2/Y2. Now, let’s take a quick look at the update changelog below.
Check Software Update (OTA)
Xiaomi roll-out the software OTA updates in an incremental manner. Therefore, you may have to wait for a couple of days more than usual depends on the region and mobile carrier as well. Not received the OTA update notification yet? Check for it manually.
Open the Settings menu on your phone > About Phone > Software update. If the latest firmware update is available on your Redmi S2/Y2, grab it by downloading and installing.
Downloads and Changelog:
- System animations
- New: All-new physically based animation engine with advanced architecture will refresh your device’s look.
- New: Dynamic window technology takes switching screen orientation to a new level.
- System visuals
- Brand new visual design works for all types of content and languages.
- Magazine-level layouts bring important things into the spotlight and make content structure clear.
- Privacy protection
- New: MIUI 12 is the first Android-based mobile OS that went through the rigorous enhanced privacy protection testing.
- New: Reset your device ID and control how it’s used based on virtual ID technology.
- New: Grant permissions that will be used only while you’re using an app.
- New: You can also grant permissions just once, and decide again next time a permission is required.
- New: Restrict access to telephony to third party apps.
- New: Return blank messages to the apps that require personal information.
- New: Receive notifications whenever apps record audio, use camera, or access your location.
- New: Use secure sharing to control what additional data is sent along with shared items.
- New: Get comprehensive stats on how apps use permissions in app behavior history.
- New: Visit privacy.miui.com to learn how MIUI protects your privacy.
- Optimization: Apps aren’t allowed to launch other apps in the background now.
- AI Call Assistant
- New: Mi AI can answer your calls now!
- New: You can record a customized greeting that will be played to the other person during AI calls.
- New: Customized greetings are also supported for outgoing calls.
- Xiaomi Health
- New: All-new Xiaomi Health gives you more options and makes your health stats more accurate.
- New: Put your device next to you before falling asleep to analyze your sleep cycle and record talking and snoring.
- New: You can sync data with supported wearable and smart home devices.
- New: Xiaomi Health can remind you to stand up and move when it detects that you’ve been sitting down for too long.
- New: The app also analyzes your stats and gives you simple health advice.
- Control center
- New: Swipe down from the upper right corner of your screen to open Control center.
- New: Animated icons are a joy to look at!
- New: Mi Ditto combines dictation and speech output, making mobile devices more convenient for people who have difficulties using conventionally designed smartphones.
- New: Traffic and suggested routes to airports and train stations.
- New: You can track your previous trips now.
- New: Checklists for trips.
- New: Alarms for train arrivals.
- Mi Carrier Services
- New: View your SIM balance and mobile data usage stats.
- New: Save frequently used phone numbers to top up balance and buy mobile data later.
- New: Buy SIM cards and services.
- Updated Android Security Patch to July 2020. Increased system security.
- New: Promotional messages are grouped according to their content now.
- Status bar, Notification shade
- Screen Time
- New: Dashboard with the stats that cover 4 weeks is available now.
- Optimization: New design makes your Screen time stats more comprehensible.
- New: New animations bring the weather from outside directly to your screen.
- New: Security introduces new comprehensive privacy protection mechanisms.
- New: Lite mode simplifies your device and brings essential features up front.
- File Manager
- New: Use the floating shortcut to filter and sort items, as well as switch view.
- New: New layout tailored for landscape orientation is available now.
- New: We added lots of fresh animations that will accompany your actions.
- New: Calendar cards will remind you about important events and anniversaries.
- New: You can create folders with notes now.
- New: New dynamic backgrounds look gorgeous!
- New: Tasks are completed with a satisfying animation now.
- New: Checklists of subtasks make managing your agenda much simpler.
- New: New animations feel natural and refreshing.
- New: Keep your home safe with smart home device alerts.
- New: Binging your favorite shows will be more convenient with our new video toolbox.
- Xiaomi Cloud
- New: Shared family storage plan is available now.
- Some features might not be available on this device. Visit www.miui.com to learn more about MIUI 12
- Updated Android Security Patch to March 2020. Increased system security
- Optimization: Updated Android Security Patch to December 2019. Increased system security.
- Lockscreen, status bar, Notification shade
- Fix: Couldn’t open notification settings in the Notification shade in Second space
- Fix: Couldn’t open the Notification shade in some cases
- Optimization: More obvious naming for local time
- Data usage
- Fix: Items related to exceptions weren’t always displayed accurately
- Fix: Searching for apps made the device slow down
- Fix: Errors occurred after switching SIM cards
- Fix: Images overlapped in scrolling screenshots
Steps to Install MIUI China Stable ROM for Redmi S2/Y2 [ysl]
To install the update manually, make sure to check out the pre-requirements and downloads before flashing.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of error that occurs to your device during or after following the guide or flashing any file. Make sure to keep a device data backup before doing anything. Do this at your own risk.
Instructions to install: MIUI China Stable ROM for Redmi S2/Y2
After following all the pre-requirements and downloads properly, now you can proceed to the guide in order to install MIUI China Stable ROM update on your Redmi S2/Y2 via Recovery or Fastboot method manually.
Guide to Install MIUI ROM on Xiaomi Device [Recovery/Fastboot]
You can check out our full-depth tutorial video as well:
Video Guide on Steps to Flash Xiaomi Device using Fastboot Method
That’s it, guys. We hope you have found this guide useful and successfully updated the latest December 2019 security patch on your Redmi S2/Y2 (ysl) device. For any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.