Ever since the dawn of affordable smartphones in countries like India and China, the demand for more has increased. The consumers now, more than ever, are asking for the most out of their buck in the smartphones being released. Xiaomi is unarguably one of the biggest reasons why cheap smartphones got good in the masses, allowing for a plethora of developmental stages in the Android ecosystem.
All of you may already have come across the term “Custom ROM” or “Root”. These are essentially what the power Android users strive to attain. Having an unlocked bootloader with a custom recovery on your phone allows a world full of possibilities to come. You can exploit the most out of the internal hardware of your Android device. When it comes to Xiaomi, most power users don’t necessarily like the lackluster custom skin, MiUI on top of Android. This is why Xiaomi is one of the biggest vendors which supports a host of custom software and kernels.
Why One need Xiaomi Firmware?
Most of the times, the procedure goes on smoothly and the end result is a familiar smartphone but now with incredible potential. However, it would be an understatement to say that a few people mess during the procedure and get their devices into a bootloop. This is basically a state where your software partition goes corrupt, and your phone is stuck in an endless loop trying to power up. There are various ways to bypass and diagnose this issue, but Xiaomi phones are known for their infamous Mi Flash Tool.
Technically, the release of the Mi Flash Tool was subjected towards helping such issues being resolved quickly on the press of a button, however, it’s only gotten complicated since its inception. Half of the times, the Flash Tool denies to recognize your device in the fastboot mode, or it fails to write the software properly. In such cases, the one and the only way out is the traditional fastboot flash method. This involves manual entry of fastboot commands in the command prompt terminal to install the system images one by one.
If you’ve unfortunately bricked your Xiaomi device, and doesn’t seem to help, this is the right place for you to be! In this guide, we will be taking a look at how you can easily restore the Xiaomi Firmware on your Xiaomi device using Mi Flash Tool and if you are facing any lag or want to upgrade the security patch, then follow the recovery flashing procedure.
- You need a Xiaomi device with an unlocked bootloader.
- You need a Windows PC with ADB & Fastboot installed.
- Download Latest Mi Flash Tool and Extract it on your PC.
- Download and Install Xiaomi USB drivers.
- We do not recommend you attempt this process without a battery percentage of 70 or more, to avoid any unforeseen shutdowns in the middle of the process.
- You’ll need the fastboot ROM zip for your compatible Xiaomi device. You can search for your device’s ROM file in this archive.
How to Flash Xiaomi Firmware using Fastboot
- Download the MIUI xxxx Fastboot ROM for your Xiaomi devices
- Now turn your device off completely. Press the Volume– key and the Power button simultaneously to enter Fastboot mode.
- Once you have entered fastboot mode, you will see the Mi Bunny Fastboot mode picture (See screenshot below)
- Now connect the device to the Windows PC/laptop via a micro USB cable.
- You need to double click on the downloaded ROM file to extract it.
- Open the extracted ROM folder, and copy its path on the computer.
- To install Mi Flash Tool, Download Mi Flash Tool Zip and Extract the MIUI MI Flash tool on your computer.
- Now click on the installer file on your computer and continue the installation. (Ignore the security warning) and select run to continue the installation.
- After installation is completed, open MiFlash.exe and paste the address bar from the ROM file folder path copied in the 6th step. (You can also browse the folder by tapping the Select button)
- If you have pasted the Address code, Now Click on the first button (circled out in yellow) to Refresh, and MiFlash should automatically recognize the device. Then click the second button (circled out in red) to flash the ROM file to the device.
- Your flashing process has started, Now Wait until the progress bar inside MiFlash turns fully green, which means the ROM has been successfully installed. Then your device should automatically boot to the new version.
How to Flash Xiaomi Firmware using Recovery
In a case where you can still access your data partition, or just want to update your firmware using the recovery, the following steps will deem useful.
- Download the ROM file compatible with your device, and rename it to update.zip.
- Transfer it to the root of your internal storage.
- Proceed by booting your Xiaomi device into the recovery mode by pressing both the Power and Volume Up buttons together.
- Once you enter the recovery mode, you can navigate using the volume up and down keys, and use the power button to select an option.
- Scroll down and select the “Install update.zip” option, and give your phone a while to do the task.
- Once done, if you phone doesn’t reboot automatically, just navigate and select the “Reboot” option from the recovery.
How to Flash Xiaomi Firmware via TWRP Recovery
- First of all, download the recovery ROM for your phone.
- Now connect your device to PC using the USB cable
- Move the downloaded zip file to the phone’s storage
- Once transferred, disconnect the phone and power it off completely
- Press the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery
- (Optional): If you’re using a custom ROM, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and wipe the ‘Cache’, ‘Dalvik/ART Cache’, ‘Data’ and ‘System’ partitions.
- Once you are done, go back and tap on the ‘Install’ button
- Browse the internal storage and select the Recovery ROM zip file.
- To confirm, swipe the button on the screen to start installing the firmware on your Xiaomi device
- Once it is finished, press the ‘Reboot System’ button
Voila! You’ve successfully flashed a system image on your Xiaomi device using either the fastboot mode or the recovery mode. If you have any queries regarding the guide, make sure you hit us down below, we’d be glad to help!