2018’s Red Dead Redemption 2 is an action-adventure video game by Rockstar Games. It’s the third entry in the Red Dead series that has been doing pretty well in the market. Though the game is available for Windows, Stadia, PS4, and Xbox One platforms, we all know that most PC games can also be played on Steam Deck. However, some of the Red Dead Redemption 2 players are reporting that the game keeps crashing a lot on Steam Deck while launching.
Initially, plenty of Steam Deck users have jumped into installing the Red Dead Redemption 2 game and tried playing it. But it seems that the performance of the RDR2 game or the overall smooth gaming experience was missing on Steam Deck. Whereas some of the Steam Deck users facing the startup crashing issue with the Red Dead Redemption 2 game. Luckily, the Mesa update for SteamOS may have fixed the performance issue for a bunch of games.
- Fix: Red Dead Redemption 2 Keep Crashing on Steam Deck
- 1. Reboot Steam Deck
- 2. Force Reboot Steam Deck
- 3. Check for SteamOS Updates
- 4. Check for RDR2 Updates
- 5. Check Onboard Storage Space
- 6. Reinsert the MicroSD Card
- 7. Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization
- 8. Force Change Proton Version on Steam Deck
- 9. Ensure RDR2 is Verified on Steam Deck
- 10. Reinstall RDR2
- 11. Factory Reset Steam Deck
- 12. Contact Steam Deck
Fix: Red Dead Redemption 2 Keep Crashing on Steam Deck
Whereas if you’re still encountering the startup crashing or the game not launching issue on Steam Deck then make sure to follow this troubleshooting guide to resolve it. Here we’ve shared a couple of possible workarounds for you that should come in handy. So, without wasting any more time, let’s get into it.
1. Reboot Steam Deck
First of all, you should restart your Steam Deck via the Software Updates section to ensure there is no temporary system glitch present. Sometimes a temporary system glitch or cache data issue can trouble you a lot. To do so:
- Press the Steam button on Steam Deck.
- Select Power > Choose Restart.
- Wait for the device to reboot and check for the issue again.
2. Force Reboot Steam Deck
If you’re still facing the same issue then make sure to force restart the Steam Deck by following the steps below to clear out any kind of potential glitches or system-related conflicts. Sometimes you may need to use the force reboot method if your Steam Deck is powered on but unresponsive or stutters a lot. To do this:
- Press and hold the Power button for at least 3 seconds. If it remains unresponsive, try long-pressing the Power button for around 10 seconds to forcefully reboot the system again.
3. Check for SteamOS Updates
Well, an outdated SteamOS version can trouble you a lot in terms of bugs, stability issues, security issues, etc. It’s better to check for SteamOS updates on Steam Deck manually by following the steps below.
- Press the Steam button on the left side of the Steam Deck.
- Go to Settings > Head over to the System tab.
- Select Check for Updates on the right side > If there is an update available, tap on Apply.
- Now, wait for the software update to complete, and then tap on Restart to apply changes.
4. Check for RDR2 Updates
It can also be possible that the outdated game version is conflicting with the system to run properly due to some bugs. You should check for the game update by following the steps below.
- Open your Steam Library > Under the Red Dead Redemption 2 library page, select Manage.
- Choose Properties > Select the Updates tab.
- Make sure to select Automatic updates > Reboot the Steam Deck.
- Whenever there will be a new update available for RDR2, it’ll automatically install.
5. Check Onboard Storage Space
You should also check for the available data storage space on your Steam Deck because low disk space can also cause several issues with the RDR2 launching and performance. Just press the Steam button on Steam Deck > Go to Settings > Choose Storage. If the available storage space becomes low, make sure to delete or uninstall unnecessary apps/games from the console to free up some space.
6. Reinsert the MicroSD Card
Sometimes a corrupted MicroSD card on the Steam Deck console can also cause multiple issues with the Red Dead Redemption 2 game crashing while startup. It’s worth mentioning that you should fully format the MicroSD card before start using it with your Steam Deck. To format a microSD card:
- Make sure to properly insert the MicroSD card into the memory slot on the bottom side.
- Press the Steam button on Steam Deck > Go to Settings.
- Choose System > Select Format SD Card.
- It may take a couple of minutes to complete the format.
Note: Any UHS-I (class 3 or better) microSD card is supported. Steam Deck does not support UHS-II. If your MicroSD card is older enough or gets corrupted quite often, it’s time to get a new MicroSD card.
7. Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization
If you have somehow disabled the Cloud Synchronization feature earlier on your Steam Deck then you should enable it right now to properly cloud sync the game with servers.
- Press the Steam button > Select the Steam menu at the top-left corner.
- Go to Settings from the list > Navigate to the Cloud tab.
- Checkmark the Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization box.
- Select OK to save the changes.
- Once done, restart the Steam Deck to apply changes.
8. Force Change Proton Version on Steam Deck
It’s also highly recommended to forcefully change the Proton version on the Steam Deck by following the steps below because it can impact the game launching or performance a lot.
- Select Red Dead Redemption 2 from Library.
- Go to Settings of the game > Go to Properties.
- Choose the Compatibility option in the left sidebar.
- Make sure to tick mark the checkbox > Select Proton Experimental.
- You can now select the version you want to test out.
9. Ensure RDR2 is Verified on Steam Deck
Check if your Deck is verified or not for the Red Dead Redemption 2 game to play seamlessly without any further modifications. The Steam ‘Deck Verified’ system has four categories to indicate how well games will work on it. If a game is Playable or Unsupported then you can see what requirements of Verified are not currently met by referring to the Steam Deck Compatibility section on the game’s Steam Store page.
- Verified: The game works great on Steam Deck by default. No additional modification is necessary.
- Playable: The game works, but may require some manual configuration from the user. This could include adjusting controller configurations or using a mouse or touchscreen to navigate a launcher.
- Unsupported: The game is currently not considered playable on Steam Deck.
- Unknown: We haven’t tested this game for compatibility yet. Feel free to give it a try, but we don’t have any information about how it works.
10. Reinstall RDR2
It’s better to uninstall and reinstall the Red Dead Redemption 2 game on your Steam Deck by following the steps below. The chances are high that reinstalling the game might fix several conflicts or issues with launching for sure.
- Press the Steam button on Steam Deck to open Settings.
- Scroll down in the sidebar and select Storage.
- Select the RDR2 game that you want to uninstall.
- Now, press the X key to Uninstall the game.
- Wait for the game to be deleted completely.
- Once done, make sure to reinstall the RDR2 game via the Steam Store again.
11. Factory Reset Steam Deck
You should also perform the factory reset method on Steam Deck to delete all the data and settings to the default state. It can also help you to fix crashing issues with the game. To do so:
- Press the Steam button on Steam Deck to open Settings.
- Under the System menu, scroll to the bottom and select Factory Reset.
- If prompted, make sure to confirm & proceed.
- The process may take some time to complete.
- Once done, make sure to go through the initial setup process for the first time.
12. Contact Steam Deck
If none of the methods worked for you well enough then make sure to contact Steam Support to create a support ticket for the same. The chances are high that Steam support will assist you further on it.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.