2019’s Risk of Rain 2 is one of the roguelike third-person shooter multiplayer video games by Hopoo Games and Gearbox Publishing. Here players have to escape from an alien planet by obviously fighting through monsters and surviving with teammates or even as a single player. Though the title is doing really well, the chances are high that plenty of players are facing the Risk of Rain 2 Multiplayer Not Working issue on PC, Xbox, PS4, PS5, and Nintendo Switch.
It becomes quite common these days to encounter online multiplayer issues while launching or getting into the game. It may either happen due to server scalability issues or downtime or some other possible reasons at the player’s end. Luckily, there are a couple of possible workarounds mentioned below that should gonna help you out. Just keep in mind that the online multiplayer titles are prone to server connectivity issues and you really can’t help it.
- Fix: Risk of Rain 2 Multiplayer Not Working on PC, Xbox, PS4, PS5, and Switch
- 1. Check the Risk of Rain Server Status
- 2. Check your Internet Connection
- 3. Update Risk of Rain 2
- 4. Update All Device Drivers (PC Only)
- 5. Update System Software
- 6. Repair Game Files (PC Only)
- 7. Power Cycle your PC or Console
- 8. Power Cycle Wi-Fi Router
- 9. Clear Risk of Rain 2 Game Data
- 10. Rebuild Database (PS4/PS5)
- 11. Hard Reset your Console
- 12. Don’t Put in Rest Mode (PS4/PS5)
- 13. Contact Gearbox Software Support
Fix: Risk of Rain 2 Multiplayer Not Working on PC, Xbox, PS4, PS5, and Switch
Now, if you’re also facing the same server connectivity issue then you can follow this troubleshooting guide one by one until the problem gets fixed. As per multiple reports online, most of the players may encounter the error messages like ‘Connection Error: Your connection has timed out’, ‘Please check your network’, ‘Could not connect to host’, ‘Can’t connect to the network’, etc. Sometimes players may get kicked out of the server automatically.
If we talk about the multiplayer not working issue or can’t connect to the server issue, the chances are high that some conflicts are happening at your end unless there is a server-side issue. Such as a poor or unstable internet connection, an outdated game patch version, outdated device drivers, outdated system software, game file issues, temporary cache issues with the router, and more. Now, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Check the Risk of Rain Server Status
It’s highly recommended to check the game server status before heading any other method. The chances are high that the game servers are going through downtime or maintenance. You can try checking the Risk of Rain 2 Discord server and the @RiskofRain Twitter handle to get more details on it. If in case, there is a server issue then just wait for a couple of hours and try checking the same issue again. If the servers are operational then jump into the next one.
2. Check your Internet Connection
First of all, you should try checking out the internet connection at your end no matter whether you’re using Wi-Fi or wired (ethernet). If in case, you’re having a poor internet connection or an unstable one, make sure to contact your service provider to increase the data speed or change the IP address to fix the networking connectivity issue. You should try switching to the wired (ethernet) connection from wireless (Wi-Fi) or vice versa to cross-check it.
3. Update Risk of Rain 2
You should update the game to check whether the problem is appearing due to the outdated or corrupted game version or not. It’s needless to say that the latest game update can bring bug fixes or stability improvements. To do so:
For PC: (Steam)
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Right-click on Risk of Rain 2 from the list > Click on Manage.
- Select Properties > Click on the Updates tab > Click on Automatic Updates.
- If it’s enabled, whenever there is a new update available, the Steam client will do the job for you.
For PC: (Epic Games Launcher)
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Settings.
- Scroll down to the Manage Games section and make sure there is a checkmark next to Allow Auto-Updates.
- Now, expand the menu for each game that you want to enable automatic updates on.
- Ensure that the games have the Auto-update box checked.
- Exit the launcher and open it again to refresh the system.
- Finally, you should be able to update the Risk of Rain 2 game on the PC.
- Head over to the My Games and Apps section > Go to Manage.
- Select Updates and install the latest version of the game.
- From the home menu, open the game Library > Choose the Risk of Rain 2 game.
- Press the Options button > Select Check for Update.
- If there is an update available, make sure to install the update.
For Nintendo Switch:
- From the HOME Menu, select System Settings.
- Go to the System section > Set the Auto-Update Software option to ON.
- Once the Nintendo Switch is connected to the internet, the available game updates will be installed automatically.
4. Update All Device Drivers (PC Only)
Another thing you can do is simply try updating the device drivers on the PC to fix multiple issues with the system performance that can happen for any program. Corrupted or missing device drivers can eventually trouble you a lot. To do so:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Now, double-click on the respective device driver category to expand the list. [Such as Display adapters, network drivers, etc]
- Then right-click on the device > Select Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- If there is an update available, it’ll automatically download and install the latest version.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to change the effects.
5. Update System Software
Sometimes issues with the outdated system software can also cause conflicts with system performances, especially in multiplayer games or any resource-heavy programs. You should always update the system software on your device to maintain the performance stable enough. To do that:
- Press Windows + I keys to open up the Windows Settings menu.
- Next, click on Update & Security > Select Check for updates under the Windows Update section.
- If there is a feature update available, select Download and install.
- It may take a while to complete the update.
- Once done, restart your computer to install the update.
- Go to the Settings menu on the PlayStation console.
- Select System Software Update > Make sure to check for available updates and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process.
- Once done, reboot the system to apply changes.
- Press the Home button on the Xbox console to open the Dashboard menu.
- Now, select Settings from the bottom of the menu > Select All Settings.
- Choose to System > Select Updates.
- Select Update Console (if available) > Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update process.
- Once done, make sure to restart the console to apply changes.
For Nintendo Switch:
- Restart the Nintendo Switch before checking for system updates.
- Obviously, the switch should be connected to the internet.
- Now, select the System Settings option on the HOME Menu.
- Scroll down to the System Settings menu > Select System.
- Choose System Update to start the system update process.
- If there is a new system software update available, it’ll start downloading & installing the update automatically.
- Wait for the process to be completed and reboot the switch to apply changes.
6. Repair Game Files (PC Only)
Another thing you can do is simply verify and repair the game files on your PC via the Steam client to ensure there are no corrupted or missing game files present on your computer. To do that:
- Launch Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Risk of Rain 2 from the list of installed games.
- Now, click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- You’ll have to wait for the process until it gets completed.
- Once done, just restart your computer.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Library.
- Click on the three-dots icon of Risk of Rain 2.
- Click on Verify and it’ll start verifying the game files.
- Wait for the process to complete and restart the launcher.
7. Power Cycle your PC or Console
Sometimes issues with the temporary glitch on the PC or console device can eventually trigger multiple conflicts with the game launching and multiplayer connectivity. It’s better to perform a simple power cycle method on your gaming device to ensure if the problem has been fixed or not. To do that:
- Just power off the PC or console completely > Unplug the power cable from the power source and from the device itself.
- Wait for around a couple of minutes then plug back the power cable in.
- Finally, power on the PC or console, and launch the game again to check for the issue.
8. Power Cycle Wi-Fi Router
It’s also recommended to try performing a power cycle method on your Wi-Fi router because temporary glitches can also cause issues with the network connectivity whatsoever. To do so, power off the router and unplug the power adapter from the power source > Wait for around 30 seconds then plug back the power cable in > Turn on the Wi-Fi router to check for the issue.
9. Clear Risk of Rain 2 Game Data
It seems that deleting the installed game saved data on the PC or console can also fix several issues with the game launching or gameplay. You should try performing this method to check for the issue.
- Press the Windows+I keys to open the Windows Settings app.
- Go to System > Click on Apps & Features.
- Locate the Risk of Rain 2 game that you want to reset from the list of installed programs.
- Now, click on it > Click on Advanced Options next to it.
- Select the Reset button to reset the app data.
- If prompted, you’ll have to click on Reset once again to confirm.
- Wait for the process to be completed > Once done, reboot the PC to apply changes.
- First, quit the Risk of Rain 2 game > Select My games & apps.
- Select See all > Make sure to highlight the Risk of Rain 2 game.
- Select Manage game and add-ons > Go down to Saved data.
- Choose the Delete all button > Wait for it to complete.
- Finally, relaunch the game to check for the issue.
- Go to Settings > Select Application Saved Data Management.
- Choose either System Storage or Online Storage or USB Storage > Select Delete.
- Select the Risk of Rain 2 game > Checkmark the files that you want to delete or just Select All.
- Finally, select Delete > Select OK to confirm the task.
- Once done, reboot your console to check for the issue again.
For Nintendo Switch:
- From the HOME Menu, select System Settings.
- Scroll down and select Data Management > Choose to Delete Save Data.
- If prompted, enter the Parental Controls PIN.
- Select the Risk of Rain 2 game that you want to delete the saved data.
- If available, select the User Profile for which you want to delete the saved data, or just select Delete All Save Data for this Software.
- Select Delete Save Data to confirm the process.
Note: Once the saved game data is deleted, it can’t be recovered.
10. Rebuild Database (PS4/PS5)
Rebuilding the database on your PlayStation console can quickly resolve the potential issues or errors. To do so:
- Switch off your console completely. Unplug the power cable from the console and wait for around 2-3 minutes.
- Now, plug in the power cable, and turn it on to clear the Cached Data automatically from the system.
Check whether this issue has been fixed with the game or not. If not, follow the next steps below.
- Now, press and hold the Power button on the PlayStation console until you hear 2 beeps. [The second beep will sound after seven seconds]
- The console will boot in the Safe Mode > Connect the controller to the USB with the console and press the PS Button on the controller.
- Next, you’ll get an option called Rebuild Database.
- Select Rebuild Database and confirm the task.
- It may take some time depending on the hard drive data size. Have some patience.
- Once done, just reboot the system normally.
11. Hard Reset your Console
In most cases, performing the hard reset of your console can fix system glitches or cache data issues from the game itself. To do so:
- Go to Guide by pressing the Xbox button on your controller.
- Then go to Profile & System > Select Settings.
- Choose System > Select Console Info.
- Select Reset > If prompted, confirm the task to proceed.
- Wait for the console to reset completely.
- Once done, make sure to sign in to your Xbox account.
- Finally, install the Risk of Rain 2 game properly, and then check for the crashing issue.
- Switch off your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console first.
- Once the console is turned off, press and hold the Power button on the console until you hear two beep sounds within a couple of seconds.
- Here you’ll see two reset options to choose from.
- Select the necessary option to reset your PlayStation console.
- Wait for the process to complete and then make sure to sign in to the PlayStation account.
- Finally, install the Risk of Rain 2 game, and try running it.
For Nintendo Switch:
- Press and hold the POWER button on the switch for a couple of seconds until the system resets.
- This process may take some time depending on how much storage space is consumed.
- Once done, the Nintendo Switch system will shut down automatically.
- Finally, press the POWER button once again for a few seconds to power it on.
12. Don’t Put in Rest Mode (PS4/PS5)
Make sure not to keep your PlayStation console in the rest mode because it may cause some issues with the game crashing or not launching. To do so:
- Go to the PS4/PS5 Settings menu > Open the Power Saving tab.
- Select Set Time Until PS5 Enter Rest Mode.
- Set to Don’t Put in Rest Mode > Restart the console to apply changes.
13. Contact Gearbox Software Support
If none of the methods worked for you then make sure to contact Gearbox Software Support for Risk of Rain 2 to get further assistance. You should create a support ticket for the same to get a quicker resolution. Developers will try to deeply investigate the issue and contact you about the fixes.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.