Samsung Galaxy S22 is one of the most popular flagship smartphone series released earlier this year. The lineup includes Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22 Plus, and Galaxy S22 Ultra. The devices came with Android 12 OS with One UI 4.1 skin at the top. Of course, the device will receive the Android 13 update. However, the stable rollout may take a couple of weeks or months as the companies are currently testing the Android 13 build on some of their premium phones. Can’t hold yourself till the stable rollout? There are ways to install Android 13 (One UI 5.0) on your Samsung Galaxy S22 and S22 Plus, right now, which we’ll be talking about in this post.
Prior to the stable rollout, most smartphone companies, including Samsung, have a testing program that allows users to get an early taste of the latest build before it reaches all the users. During the testing page, the company releases multiple betas builds that fix known issues. Being a recently launched flagship phone, the Galaxy S22 was the first pick by Samsung for the One UI 5.0 beta testing.
[Note: The beta builds are prone to bugs, which can break some functionality on your phone. Hence, we do not recommend installing One UI 5 beta on your primary device.]
What’s On One UI 5.0?
Android 12 was a major redesign in the recent iterations of the operating system. Major changes have already been done. Android 13 is an extension of the last OS version. Although it does not bring major changes, a bunch of notable tweaks and improvements make it exciting.
- Improved Material You: One UI does not fully implement Material You design, but it offers wallpaper-based device theming. In the One UI 5.0 beta, we get to choose from eight solo color presets. Several tweaks have been made to the Wallpaper & style section.
- Smart Widgets: With One UI 5.0, you can create the scrollable quick-look widgets by long pressing atop an existing widget on the home screen. You can also enable auto-rotation for widgets.
- Camera App Improvements: More features have been added to the Samsung Camera app in the One UI 5.0 beta. In the latest version of the One UI skin, you can auto-watermark the images. You can customize the watermark with different font and layout options. Withing the Camera Promode, a histogram function has been added. It helps you manage the light distribution on a scene your camera is pointing at.
- Call-Related Changes: Several tweaks have been made to the call feature as well. During a call, you can quickly take notes by tapping the tree-dot menu button in the upper-right corner. With One UI 5.0, you can fully customize the call background image. You can even customize it on a contact-to-contact basis.
- Quick Settings Improvements: The Quick Settings panel is getting a more Pixel-like layout for the incoming notifications. Like the Pixel phones, there’s an Active Apps option in the One UI 5.0 beta, which you can access by tapping on the upper-right kebab menu button. It’s helpful in checking which apps are running in the background.
- Text Extraction from Images: You can now extract text from any image by long pressing on the image. The Samsung Keyboard also has a new option to Extract text that quickly launches the camera. Even, the Gallery app has a T icon to use this feature.
That’s not the whole list of changes you’ll see in the One UI 5.0 beta. But, there are some noteworthy ones which you should know.
How to Install One UI 5.0 Beta on Samsung Galaxy S22 and S22 Plus
Samsung has already started the Android 13 beta testing program for the Galaxy S22 and S22 Plus. So, you can either join the One UI beta program and wait for the update to reach your phone. Or, download the latest One UI 5.0 beta for your phone and install it right away. We’ve detailed both methods below. Feel free to go with any of them.
Step1: Install Android 13 (One UI 5.0) Without a PC
To get an early experience of Android 13 on your Samsung Galaxy S22 device, you first need to join the One UI beta testing program. Here’s how you can do it:
- Download and install the Samsung Members app on your phone.
- Open the app and click on the Registration for One UI Beta (S22/S22+) option.
- Go to the One UI Beta Program banner and click Register Now.
- Once you’ve successfully registered for the One UI 5.1 beta testing program, Samsung will send you a One UI 5.0 beta package via the OTA. It may take a couple of days.
- Either click on the update notification or go to Settings > Software update and tap on Download and install.
- Once the installation process is finished, restart your Samsung phone and explore One UI 5.1 beta.
Step2: Install Android 13 (One UI 5.0) using ADB Sideload and PC
You can also install the One UI 5.0 beta build on your Samsung Galaxy S22 phone without joining the beta testing program. You just need to download and sideload the latest One UI 5.0 beta build.
1: Download ADB and Fastboot Binary
Using the ADB and Fastboot command (platform-tools), you’ll be able to boot your Android device into the bootloader mode (download mode), which will be easy for you to proceed with further steps. ADB (Android Debug Bridge) creates a connection or bridge between the device and computer to sideload files.
Fastboot is a more advanced command utility tool for Android devices that works with computers. You can download ADB and Fastboot Binaries (Platform-Tools).
2: Download One UI 5.0 Beta
- Samsung Galaxy S22
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
- SM-S906B (Germany): One UI 5.0 Beta 1
- SM-S906B (UK): One UI 5.0 Beta 1
- SM-S906E (India): One UI 5.0 Beta 1
- SM-S906N (South Korea): One UI 5.0 Beta 1
- SM-S906U (T-Mobile US): One UI 5.0 Beta 1
- SM-S906U1 (Unlocked US): One UI 5.0 Beta 1
Thanks to XDA Developers for the download links.
3: Instructions to Install
1. Make sure that you have installed latest version of ADB on your PC and downloaded the latest One UI 5.0 beta package.
2. Rename the downloaded .bin package to update.zip and copy it to your PC. Move this file to the ADB folder on your computer.
3. Reboot your phone to recovery mode. You can do so by pressing and holding the volume down button and power button until you see the Samsung logo.
4. Use the volume buttons to navigate to apply update from ADB and press the power button to select it.
5. Connect your Samsung phone to the PC using a USB cable.
6. Enable USB debugging on your phone. You can find this option in the developer settings.
7. Go to the ADB folder, type cmd in the address bar, and press Enter. This will open the command window.
8. Run the following command to check if the ADB connection is successful. If the command returns some random string, you are good to go to the next step. Otherwise, connect the phone again.
9. Now, run the following command to sideload the update file:
adb sideload update.zip
10. Wait for the process to finish. The phone should reboot itself.
In this guide, we looked at different ways to install One UI 5.0 beta on Samsung Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22 Plus. Which method did you choose? Please let us know your thoughts on One UI 5.0 in the comments below.