Sony PlayStation has released the next-gen PlayStation 5 console back in November 2020 which is the latest gaming console in the market that offers impressive gameplay results without breaking a sweat with higher FPS. It comes with an improved controller called DualSense Controller which is designed for PS5. However, it seems that plenty of PC gamers are reporting about the Steam PS5 Controller Not Working Issue whenever they try playing any game.
Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter such an issue then make sure to follow this troubleshooting guide to fix the DualSense controller not working issue on Steam. To be precise, Windows 10 OS doesn’t actually compatible with the PS5 DualSense controller to work properly with PC games. That means some PC games can be controlled with the DualSense controller and some don’t. But it can be fixed with some controller configuration on Steam.
Fix: Steam PS5 Controller Not Working Issue
The PS5 DualSense controller uses generic DirectInput drivers instead of XInput drivers. So, simply connecting the PS5 controller to the PC and starting playing the game isn’t easy, unlike the Xbox controller. However, there may be other possible reasons behind such an issue that can be easily resolved by following the methods below. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into the guide below.
1. Try Using a Different USB Cable
You can attach your PS5 controller to your Windows PC via USB. In that scenario, make sure that the cable is working properly. If you have an additional USB cable then make sure to try another one or on another port.
2. Reboot PS5
Plenty of users has reported that normally rebooting the PS5 console and connecting the controller again should work over Steam. To do that:
- Go to the Power option > Select Restart PS5.
- Hold the Power switch on the PS5 console until you hear two beeps after a couple of seconds (if your controller isn’t working).
- Once it’s turned off, it’ll completely shut down. Make sure to hold the Power button once again.
- After rebooting, try using your PS5 controller again to check for the issue.
3. Hard Reset PS5 Controller
It’s worth recommending to perform a hard reset of your PS5 controller which might resolve the not working on Steam. To do this:
- Make sure to flip your PS5 controller after shutting down your PS5 console.
- You can find out a small hole for the reset.
- So, press and hold the button by inserting the paper clip or SIM ejector tool for around a couple of seconds.
- It’ll completely hard reset your controller > Simply connect the controller to PS5 via a USB connection to check for the issue.
4. Enable Bluetooth
If you’re having trouble connecting your PS5 controller to your Windows PC and playing games via Steam, then make sure to turn on Bluetooth on the PC and connect your PS5 controller via Bluetooth. Retrying the process a few times might gonna resolve the issue. To do so:
- Click on the Start menu > Click on Settings.
- Now, select Bluetooth & other devices > Click on Devices.
- Turn on the Bluetooth toggle. [If it’s already turned on then turn off and turn on again]
- It’s also better to add another Bluetooth device if you’ve already connected any other device with your PC.
5. Forget and Re-Pair PS5 Controller
If none of the methods worked for you then try forgetting and re-pairing the PS5 controller on the Windows PC to check for the issue. To do so:
- Click on the Start Menu > Go to Settings.
- Click on Bluetooth & devices > Choose the DualSense option.
- Now, press the Options button on your controller > Select Forget Device.
- It’ll help your PS5 console to erase the paired device from its memory.
- Turn off your PlayStation 5 console and connect the problematic controller to your console with a USB cable. Press the PS button on the controller switch it on and start the pairing process. Try re-pairing the PS5 controller again.
- If this step doesn’t work, make sure to restart your PS5 console, and try pairing it again.
Steps to Install PS5 Controller on Steam
If you want to install the PS5 controller on Steam then you can follow the steps below. Make sure to connect the PS5 controller on the PC via a USB cable.
- Open the Steam launcher on your computer.
- Click on the Steam tab from the top-left corner > Click on the Settings menu.
- Go to the Controller tab in the top-left drop-down menu.
- Now, navigate to the General Controller Settings tab.
- Log into your Steam account and register your device.
- Next, make sure to calibrate joysticks and change preferences.
- Select PlayStation Configuration Support from the drop-down menu.
- Remap the PS5 controller in the game or via the Settings Controller tab.
- Once done, restart both the PS5 controller and the PC to change effects immediately.
Steps to Install PS5 Controller on PC (Bluetooth)
If you want to connect and install the PS5 controller on the PC via Bluetooth, then follow the steps below:
- Make sure to open the DS4Windows program on the PC.
- Right-click on Bluetooth Device in the system tray > Click on Add a Bluetooth Device.
- Now, connect your Bluetooth dongle to your PS5 DualSense controller. Hold the Share and PlayStation buttons for a few seconds until the top of the controller’s light indicator blinks in the double pattern.
- Go to Wireless Controller > Use your laptop’s built-in Bluetooth device or a wireless USB dongle.
- Next, check whether your PS5 controller is properly plugged in or not.
Otherwise, the DS4Windows Controllers option should detect the connected PS5 controller automatically.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.