The Red Magic 3 is an impressive smartphone tailored towards gamers with features like touch-sensitive bumper buttons, custom cooling and a 90Hz display that can really provide the upper-hand in competitive mobile games. The device was launched in the year 2019 which is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor with Android 9.0 Pie out of the box. Here in this guide, we will share the AOSP Android 10 Custom GSI build for Nubia Red Magic 3 (NX629J). Thanks to the XDA Recognized Developer phhusson for making this possible.
Now, you may ask what is GSI? A GSI (generic system image) is a system image with minimal configurations for Android devices. It works as a pure Android implementation without any modifications or changes to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code. It can be run on any Android devices running Android 8.1 or higher version due to the Project Treble support. Here we have shared a step-by-step guide to flash AOSP Android 10 on Nubia Red Magic 3 below.
But before going to the installation steps, let’s have a look at the device overview and then Android 10 overview as well.
Nubia Red Magic 3 Specifications:
ZTE Nubia Red Magic 3 was announced in May 2019 which sports a 6.65-inch AMOLED display with a screen resolution of 2340 x 1080 pixels with 388 PPI pixel density. The device is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 6.
ZTE Nubia Red Magic 3 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset coupled with 6/8/12GB of RAM and 64/128/256GB of internal storage. It also supports an external memory card. The device came out of the box with Android 9.0 Pie under Nubia red magic 2.0 and backed by a 3800 mAh battery (Non-removable).
As far as the camera concerned, the device has a single-camera setup with 48MP primary sensors and a selfie camera with a 16MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass/ magnetometer. etc. The ZTE Nubia Red Magic 3 come with a rear fingerprint sensor feature.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Nubia Red Magic 3
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:Guide to install Generic System image (GSI) on your Android device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Nubia Red Magic 3 handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.